libstdc++ documentation

VoiD

Aloha!

I'm looking for libstdc++ documentation. I've been searching the net for
last 2 days! The best thing I can imagine is a downloadable function and
class index with at least short descriptions. I got confused when I found
out (at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq/index.html#5_7) that I
must pay for this documentation... If anybody asked the same question before
I did - please... be human and give me some link :)

Thank you very very much in advance!

VoiD

p.s. sorry for my bad English.. ;)

Alexander Terekhov

VoiD said:
Aloha!

I'm looking for libstdc++ documentation. I've been searching the net for
last 2 days! The best thing I can imagine is a downloadable function and
class index with at least short descriptions. I got confused when I found
out (at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq/index.html#5_7) that I
must pay for this documentation... If anybody asked the same question before
I did - please... be human and give me some link :)

http://www.hrw.org/prisons

regards,
alexander.

Kevin Goodsell

VoiD said:
Aloha!

I'm looking for libstdc++ documentation.

libstdc++ is not part of the C++ language, so questions about it are not
topical here.

If you simply want a C++ standard library reference (and there isn't one
in your C++ book, for some reason), you can try the Dinkumware web site.
They have a C++ standard library reference available, but you may only
browse it, you may not make a local copy of it (unless you pay for it, I
think).

http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

There are probably several other C++ library references out there - they
shouldn't be that hard to find if you search for something like "C++
standard library reference".

Also, that FAQ entry you linked to does not refer to libstdc++
documentation, but the ISO C++ standard (the document that defines the
C++ language). It doesn't make a particularly good reference unless you
are implementing a C++ compiler or standard library, or if you're a
language lawyer (that's not to say it's not a useful document, but it's
not the best choice for a general reference).

-Kevin

VoiD

Well, I found this site yesterday but I don't like these 'buy online'
words... Now I see not everything on this site is not free.
There are probably several other C++ library references out there - they
shouldn't be that hard to find if you search for something like "C++
standard library reference".

Also, that FAQ entry you linked to does not refer to libstdc++
documentation, but the ISO C++ standard (the document that defines the
C++ language). It doesn't make a particularly good reference unless you
are implementing a C++ compiler or standard library, or if you're a
language lawyer (that's not to say it's not a useful document, but it's
not the best choice for a general reference).

Yes, that's true, I just thought it means that if the libstdc++ is defined
by all those ISO standards then I must pay for it. Oh... I'll keep
searching... I've never encoutered such problems searching for a
documentation!.. :|
Thaks a lot :)
Best regards
VoiD

Kevin Goodsell

VoiD said:
Yes, that's true, I just thought it means that if the libstdc++ is defined
by all those ISO standards then I must pay for it.

libstdc++ is a particular implementation of the C++ standard library.
The standard defines the library, but each implementation is different
and will have its own documentation. I don't know anything about the
libstdc++ documentation - I would assume it's out there somewhere. But
you don't *need* the libstdc++ documentation to write programs using it
(unless you need help making it work with your compiler), because it
conforms to the requirements of the C++ standard (more or less).
Therefore it is *used* exactly like all other C++ standard library
implementations. A general C++ standard library reference is all you need.

So either you *don't* need the libstdc++ documentation at all, and you
can stop looking for it and use a general C++ reference, or you *do*
need the libstdc++ documentation (presumably to help set it up or
something like that), in which case we can't really help - it's not
topical here. But I'm sure it's available, and I would personally start
looking where ever you got libstdc++ itself (or on the libstdc++
homepage, if there is one).

-Kevin