    all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
    but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?
    , Mar 31, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
    > License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
    > the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
    > this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
    > simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
    > work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
    > all know it is.

    Not much of a "programming team"....

    > Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
    > but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.
    Travis Newbury, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
    >> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
    Perl, etc.

    > To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    > I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
    that disabled. Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
    absolutely required.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 31, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
    > License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
    > the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
    > this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
    > simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
    > work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
    > all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
    > but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    Someone in my department was looking in to this and had great fun running
    into browser inconsistances. Eventually I think we went for the sensible
    option (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box, and then putting the
    accept link after the text - so they have to scroll to bring the link into
    view).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Matt Clara Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
    > License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
    > the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
    > this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
    > simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
    > work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
    > all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
    > but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    Why not put the button on the bottom of the scrolling part? Then you can't
    get to the button without scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara
    Matt Clara, Mar 31, 2006

    Well thank you much guys for your post, my friend will be reading this
    later and I am sure all of your advice will help him out a ton!
    , Mar 31, 2006
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
    > >> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    > It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
    > Perl, etc.
    > > To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    > > I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    > Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    > client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
    > that disabled...

    The OP stated that a javascript solution was an option. So while you
    are right that some people may have it turned off, the OP did not see
    that as an isuue. And if Adobe uses javascript to do it, then he can
    copy it.

    > Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
    > absolutely required.

    I must have missed the "absolutly required" line in the OP's post. I
    did read the part that said "Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it
    doesnt matter"
    Travis Newbury, Mar 31, 2006
  8. Jose Guest

    > (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box

    I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
    encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Mar 31, 2006
  9. Jose wrote:

    >> (i.e. not cramming the license into a tiny box

    > I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
    > encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

    Indeed ... which makes it counter productive to force them to scroll through
    it before accepting it.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Mar 31, 2006
  10. Jose Guest

    >>I thought the purpose of that was to make it difficult to read, and
    >> encourage people to skip all that mumbo jumbo and just sign.

    > Indeed ... which makes it counter productive to force them to scroll through
    > it before accepting it.

    No, it provides a plausible way of saying "even though we made it hard
    to read, you did read and sign it"... even if all you did was scroll to
    the bottom and fume.

    Jose
    --
    Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
    Jose, Mar 31, 2006
  11. Travis Newbury wrote:

    >> It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or
    >> PHP, Perl, etc.
    >>> To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their
    >>> code. I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    >> Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    >> client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks
    >> have that disabled...

    > The OP stated that a javascript solution was an option. So while you
    > are right that some people may have it turned off, the OP did not see
    > that as an isuue.

    Perhaps the OP does not know that JavaScript can be disabled. His
    programmers might even think that, based on the comments. <g>

    > And if Adobe uses javascript to do it, then he can copy it.

    Adobe's web site? Haven't been there in years.

    >> Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is absolutely
    >> required.

    > I must have missed the "absolutly required" line in the OP's post.

    No, you missed my "*if* the acceptance is absolutely required." If
    acceptance is not critical <?> then JavaScript might be ok. Depends on
    the undescribed project, eh?

    > I did read the part that said "Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it
    > doesnt matter"

    Since we can't assume the skills of the OP, I didn't see that statement
    (list of languages) as really important.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 31, 2006
  12. Dan Guest

    > > wrote:
    > >> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
    > >> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    > It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
    > Perl, etc.

    Eh? I don't see how this COULD be achieved with anything server-side?
    How are you feeding the information about how far you've scrolled back
    to the server? How are you getting the response? Makes no sense to be
    at all - i'd be really interested to see the code if it can be done on
    the server.

    > > To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    > > I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    > Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    > client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
    > that disabled. Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
    > absolutely required.

    What? Fair enough javascript is turned off in most browsers, but i
    don't understand the second point at all (I must confess that i've had
    a glass of wine!). If the acceptance is required, and someone decides
    to find a way around that doesn't involved clicking the button (say
    reading the code and figuring out the destination), then they must be
    in breach of the agreement (regardless of their having clicked the
    button). If not, then you need to WRITE A BETTER AGREEMENT! And in any
    event. If it needs to fit in a nice little space on the page, just
    stick it in a scrolling DIV with the acceptance button at the bottom.

    Just my 3.45 cents.

    Dan
    Dan, Apr 2, 2006
  13. Jim Higson Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter, but does
    >>> anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?

    > It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
    > Perl, etc.

    I would say it has to be in a client-side language since once the page has
    loaded the server cannot enable/disable buttons etc, and there is no form
    element that sends the position of sliders to the server.

    How are you thinking a server-side script could control this?

    >> To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    >> I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    > Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    > client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
    > that disabled. Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
    > absolutely required.

    I don't think there is any way to make absolutely sure, for example I could
    be in an internet cafe and just call over a stranger and say "hey, click
    this for me!" and then use the site. I wouldn't have clicked that I agreed.

    Besides, is there any reason to think a court would uphold a EULA only if
    you can prove the user scrolled down the page text?

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Apr 2, 2006
  14. Dan wrote:

    [Beauregard wrote:]

    >> It would be a server-side language, such as the ASP you mention, or PHP,
    >> Perl, etc.

    > Eh? I don't see how this COULD be achieved with anything server-side?

    How else could you guarantee that an accept button was clicked?

    > How are you feeding the information about how far you've scrolled back
    > to the server?

    The amount of scrolling is not important. The button to Accept (Submit)
    should be after the notice about it. Then the server makes sure this
    Submit button was what activated the form.

    > How are you getting the response?

    Form submit.

    Since this all will be done with a <form>, no separate 'Accept' button
    is necessary. The form contains content stating that 'Submitting' this
    form is acceptance of the terms.

    > Makes no sense to be at all - i'd be really interested to see the code
    > if it can be done on the server.

    You would write the code similar to any other log in type script.

    >>> To get the code, just find a place that does it, and copy their code.
    >>> I seem to recall the adobe site had this in it.

    >> Not likely that you could copy any server-side code, Travis. And
    >> client-side JavaScript wouldn't work, as some percentage of folks have
    >> that disabled. Nor would it be very secure, if the acceptance is
    >> absolutely required.

    > What? Fair enough javascript is turned off in most browsers, but i
    > don't understand the second point at all (I must confess that i've had
    > a glass of wine!). If the acceptance is required, and someone decides

    Not sure why you might think JavaScript is best for this scenario.

    > to find a way around that doesn't involved clicking the button (say
    > reading the code and figuring out the destination), then they must be
    > in breach of the agreement (regardless of their having clicked the
    > button).

    ...which is why the server-side code makes sure that the Submit/Accept
    button was clicked. Easy-peasy.

    > If not, then you need to WRITE A BETTER AGREEMENT! And in any
    > event. If it needs to fit in a nice little space on the page, just
    > stick it in a scrolling DIV with the acceptance button at the bottom.

    Might work ... but again, the design will depend on exactly how
    important the acceptance is. We don't know that.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 2, 2006
  15. Matt Clara wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine is trying to get his programming team to setup a
    >> License Agreement, where before the I Accept check box becomes active,
    >> the user must scroll to the bottom of the agreement. We have all seen
    >> this type of license agreement before in programs and on the web, but I
    >> simply do not know how to create this type of code. To make matters
    >> work, his programming team is telling him its NOT POSSIBLE, which we
    >> all know it is. Whether its in JavaScript, HTML, ASP it doesnt matter,
    >> but does anybody have a link to where I can find the code for this?
    >>

    > Why not put the button on the bottom of the scrolling part? Then you can't
    > get to the button without scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    This is probably the most effect solution...not dependent on scripting,
    and simple! Doesn't guarantee that user actually read agreement, but no
    solution could.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 3, 2006
  16. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > Why not put the button on the bottom of the scrolling part? Then you can't
    > > get to the button without scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    > This is probably the most effect solution...not dependent on scripting,
    > and simple! Doesn't guarantee that user actually read agreement, but no
    > solution could.

    Well you could quiz them on the agreement.....
    Travis Newbury, Apr 3, 2006
  17. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> Why not put the button on the bottom of the scrolling part? Then you can't
    >>> get to the button without scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    >> This is probably the most effect solution...not dependent on scripting,
    >> and simple! Doesn't guarantee that user actually read agreement, but no
    >> solution could.

    > Well you could quiz them on the agreement.....

    .... blah blah blah blah blah.

    [Agree*] [Disagree]

    *there will be a test!

    --