Licensing literature for the .NET Framework

John

Hi,

I was speaking to somebody about a project yesterday regarding writing a
small web app for him.

He suggested ASP, and I of course suggest ASP.NET. He rejected the idea due
to licensing and cost etc... I told him the .NET framework is free and as
long as he's got a licensed version of any of the Windows Server products
with IIS he can download & run it.

First of if I am wrong in the above statement, please god, can somebody
please straighten me out before I have to pay for it. ;-)

If I am correct, can somebody please point me to a Microsoft document where
this is actually spelled out ... just to set his mind at ease.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

Karl

First off you are right

THE EULA for the .net redistributable is located:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/dnnetdep/html/dotnetfxredisteula1_1.asp

I have no law experience, but from what I'm reading, it's basically saying
that you can't use the component if you don't have a valid OS license.
Which implies that if you have a valid OS license you can.

the cost being talked about could be for VS.Net or SQL Server..or other
things...Web Matrix and MSDE/Jet could be cheaper alternatives..

Karl