Life after ActiveX

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rob Allen, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Rob Allen

    Rob Allen Guest

    Hi Folks.

    This is more of a "thinking about" post than a real question with a
    solution. That being said, here we go:

    Microsoft has in fact lost a patent infridgment suit which will cost
    them billions of dollars. The suit surrounds patents underlying ActiveX.
    ActiveX controls are widely used and developed for adding non-static
    content to a webpage. This was handled back in the day by JavaScripts.
    The settlement of this suit requires Microsoft to stop using ActiveX and
    to pay restitution.

    So, enough background, here is the question: with so many apps and
    coders relying on ActiveX (i grudgingly use it myself to envoke Flash
    content), whats a coder to do in ActiveX's absence?

    JavaScripts are too clunky and those who have taken the easy (read,
    Frontpage) way out of writing HMTL will be lost in real code. JS also
    has the drawback of server side processing (time).

    So what can we fall back on that will be as fast, as easy and freely
    distributed?

    --Rob--

    Rob Allen, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Rob Allen <> writes:

    > ActiveX controls are widely used and developed for adding non-static
    > content to a webpage.

    Really? I know that Microsoft pushed ActiveX controls pretty hard,
    but I personally never happened across one actually used in the wild
    -- the idea of ActiveX-controls-in-the-browser didn't even do as well
    as Java-applets-in-the-browser (which was hardly a howling success
    itself). Perhaps the ActiveX stuff tends to show up inside company
    Intranets, where they don't have to worry about Windows versions
    incompatibilities as much (not to mention non-Windows client
    platforms).

    People who want live content seem to use either JavaScript/ECMAScript
    or (yech) Flash.

    All the best,

    David

    David Megginson, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Rob Allen

    Rob Allen Guest

    Hi David,

    In basic development usage of something like Flash gets a lot of
    ActiveX attention. Especially for those programmers content on
    developing only for Internet Explorer. There are also several freely
    available scripts for all sorts of useful applications which rely on
    ActiveX. The impact may be more severe than you can imagine. Take a look
    at the W3C's site (w3c.org) and I think you'll get a sense of how much
    the community is concerned.

    --Rob--

    Rob Allen, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Rob Allen <> writes:

    > In basic development usage of something like Flash gets a lot of
    > ActiveX attention. Especially for those programmers content on
    > developing only for Internet Explorer. There are also several freely
    > available scripts for all sorts of useful applications which rely on
    > ActiveX. The impact may be more severe than you can imagine. Take a look
    > at the W3C's site (w3c.org) and I think you'll get a sense of how much
    > the community is concerned.

    You might be misreading the W3C's concern -- they're not worried about
    ActiveX, but about the implications of the patent ruling for *any*
    embedded live content. Personally, I think that they'll be successful
    in finding enough prior art to bury the patent (which wasn't filed
    until October 1994), but as with previous predatory patents, it will
    take a fair bit of time and money.

    I am curious about ActiveX on the Web. Can you point me to a few
    popular sites (other than MS and affiliates) that use it? I have not
    stumbled upon them myself, but then, I'm usually not browsing in
    Windows, so I might be getting fed alternative content.

    All the best,

    David

    David Megginson, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Rob Allen

    Rob Allen Guest

    Hi David,

    The most often used code involving ActiveX is a JavaScript which
    checks for browser and OS versions. If your OS is windows and you are
    using IE as your browser, then the code makes a sigh of relife and loads
    the Ac-X component. If not, it runs thru a series of JavaScript work
    arounds for Mac, Linux/Unix, Netscape, Opera, Konqurer, etc... depending
    on how thurough the coder was that particular day.

    As for examples of its previlence, any site using .NET (ASP.NET for
    example) may use ActiveX significantly. ActiveX is a code library tool.
    So its difficult to pin down exactly which sites use it. You can write
    your own controls into the ActiveX library.

    I agree that w3c is more concerned with the larger issue of software
    patents and the free spirit of the internet community. My particular
    concern is which direction the community goes to replace ActiveX. I am
    pulling for an open source solution. But I digress.

    --Rob--

    Rob Allen, Sep 30, 2003