life cycle

bharathi.vempati

hi

Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
termination.

please make it fast

k bye
-ramya

Keith Thompson

Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
termination.

Edit, compile, link, run.

If that's not enough information, you'll have to ask a clearer question.
please make it fast

If English isn't your first language, you might not be aware that that
sounds a bit arrogant, as if you were giving orders to underlings.
You're asking us for help, which we give freely and voluntarily. The
best way to get help is to ask clear (and interesting) questions, and
to respond quickly to requests for clarification. Telling us that
your question is urgent will not get you a response any more quickly;
in fact, some people will be less inclined to help you at all.

If your question really is urgent, you should explain why -- but don't
expect a lot of sympathy. Your urgency does not create a sense of
obligation for anyone else.

And just in case you haven't read it already, I urge you to read
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> before posting a followup.

Guest

(e-mail address removed) write:
Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
termination.
I think you should read the textbook.
please make it fast
....and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

Eric Sosman

pete said:
I think that's overly complicated.

Edit, translate, run.

Edit, translate, fix syntax errors, translate, fix more
compile errors, translate, run, curse, study, fix logic
errors, translate, run, curse, ask for help on comp.lang.c
but show only the irrelevant lines, be cursed, make random
change, translate, run, curse, steal unrelated code from rogue.c,
translate, fix cut-n-paste error, translate, run, curse, have
Aha! moment, edit, translate, fix silly typo, translate, run,
HUZZAH! IT'S FINALLY WORKING! My low-level disk formatter is
even now reformatting (oops!) the disk containing its own source
code ...

CBFalconer

Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
process termination.

please make it fast

Yassuh. Edit, compile, run.

CBFalconer

??? said:
(e-mail address removed) write:

I think you should read the textbook.

...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
lose weight, or for religious reasons.

Walter Roberson

??? wrote:
The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
lose weight, or for religious reasons.

<OT>
Summarizing from OED:

There are four major noun forms of 'fast' (e.g., absetinence from
food), and two major verb forms, but none of those are relevant to this
discussion because in "learn it fast", fast cannot grammatically be a
noun or verb.

In the context, fast could be an adjective or adverb.

fast, a.:

I. firmly fixed in place; not easily turned aside; fixed on the shore
(of a vessel); fixed in sleep; permanent colour; resistant to stain-
removing or toxic agent (biology); constipated; close shut, bolted, locked
(door, window); gripping, tenacious (fast hold); some specialized uses

II. rapid.
quick, swift motion; indicating a time more advanced than true time
(clock); needing only brief exposure (film); some physics uses such
as fast breeder reactor; adapted to or productive of quick movement
(e.g., billiard cushions, hard dry cricket grounds); living too
extravegantly, devoted to pleasure

III. various combinations like fastback, fast buck, fast lane

fast as an adverb has very similar senses to the adjective form.
Sense specifically listed include "Quickly, rapidly, swiftly";
"in quick succession; one close upon another"; "readily, with alacrity".
As the sentance being nitted was describing a second action,
the "quick succession" sense is not ruled out, and the "with alacrity"
meaning applies as well, in addition to the "quickly, rapidly, swiftly"
meanings.

If the phrase had been "make it fast" then adjective or adverb could
both have been possibilities, but for "learn it fast", adverb is
the only real choice: "make" is a verb of intentional creation
of state and an adjective can describe a state (e.g., "make it round"),
but for "learn" an auxillary denoting mode (that is, an adverb) makes
more sense -- and... OED clearly shows "quickly" as one of the
adverbal meanings.

I would certainly agree that "quickly" would likely be a better
word than "fast" for the -probable- meaning, but "quickly" is within
the adverbal meaning, and for those other two senses I noted above, "fast"
is the appropriate word.

In summary, your nit is wrong in implying that "fast" was definitely
being used incorrectly.
</OT>

Nick Keighley

Keith said:
(e-mail address removed) writes:

Edit, compile, link, run.

but he already has the (presumably correct) source code so he can skip
the
edit phase :)

<snip>

Kenneth Brody

CBFalconer said:
??? said:
(e-mail address removed) write: [...]
please make it fast

...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
lose weight, or for religious reasons.

A fast learner learns things quickly.

(Though, as someone else mentioned elsewhere in this thread, English may
not be the OP's native language.)

"Make that 'slow' sign fast. It keeps moving."

If you don't have enough time to celebrate Yom Kippur, can you fast quickly?

ed

Edit, translate, fix syntax errors, translate, fix more
compile errors, translate, run, curse, study, fix logic
errors, translate, run, curse, ask for help on comp.lang.c
but show only the irrelevant lines, be cursed, make random
change, translate, run, curse, steal unrelated code from rogue.c,
translate, fix cut-n-paste error, translate, run, curse, have
Aha! moment, edit, translate, fix silly typo, translate, run,
HUZZAH! IT'S FINALLY WORKING!

Haha sounds like my day in the office! Just without the copy/paste bit
of course, I build in the original source with an #ifdef round any
existing main.

bharathi.vempati

hi keith thompson

sorry i should really be polite while asking questions
but in a hurry i wrote something without thinking
im sorry once again

and thanks a lot for ur response
a person who tells our mistakes is our real friend rather than a
person who
ignores it( i feel) thanku once again

Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
life cycle of C from source code to process termination.

even i know the answer in one line as u said
edit,compile,link,run
i dint understood what to tell them?
can u tell me what should i explain them?
and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
running?

ok bye
i will feel happy if u reply me
take care
-ramya

Keith Thompson

hi keith thompson

sorry i should really be polite while asking questions
but in a hurry i wrote something without thinking
im sorry once again

We get a lot of people here who are unapologetically rude. I'm very
happy to see you're not one of them.

In that spirit, a few posting tips:

Use standard capitalization ("I" and the first letter of each
sentence), spelling, and punctuation. Avoid abbreviations like "u"
for "you", "ur" for "your", and so forth; they merely make what you
write more difficult to read, especially for people whose first
language isn't English. Typos and minor spelling and grammatical
errors are usually ignored; certain kinds of silly abbreviations are
not.

Also, please don't top-post. See <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
for more information.

[...]
Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
life cycle of C from source code to process termination.

even i know the answer in one line as u said
edit,compile,link,run
i dint understood what to tell them?
can u tell me what should i explain them?
and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
running?

I'm not sure there's much I can add to what's already been said. The
details of how programs are compiled and executed can vary from one
implementation to another. The language doesn't even define the
concept of a "process".

The standard does define 8 "translation phases" (see C99 5.1.1.2;
google n1124.pdf to see the most recent draft), but compilers are
merely required to operate *as if* they work in separate phases. The
standard says even less about how programs are executed.

August Karlstrom

CBFalconer said:
The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
lose weight, or for religious reasons.

Unnecessary comment I think. English is not everyone's (myself included)
native tongue around here, you know.

August

Nick Keighley

Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
life cycle of C from source code to process termination.

even i know the answer in one line as u said
edit,compile,link,run
i dint understood what to tell them?
can u tell me what should i explain them?

I'd be tempted to go back to the person who asked you to do the
seminar and ask them what they expected you to cover.

"edit,compile,link,run"

is going to make for a very short seminar!
and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
running?

depend on the OS, but generally yes. When you return from main() or
call
exit() etc. You end up in platform specific code which will generally
terminate
the process and return a value to the caller (parent).

<snip>