    k bye
    -ramya

    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. writes:
    > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
    > termination.

    Edit, compile, link, run.

    If that's not enough information, you'll have to ask a clearer question.

    > please make it fast

    If English isn't your first language, you might not be aware that that
    sounds a bit arrogant, as if you were giving orders to underlings.
    You're asking us for help, which we give freely and voluntarily. The
    best way to get help is to ask clear (and interesting) questions, and
    to respond quickly to requests for clarification. Telling us that
    your question is urgent will not get you a response any more quickly;
    in fact, some people will be less inclined to help you at all.

    If your question really is urgent, you should explain why -- but don't
    expect a lot of sympathy. Your urgency does not create a sense of
    obligation for anyone else.

    And just in case you haven't read it already, I urge you to read
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> before posting a followup.

    Keith Thompson, Apr 12, 2006

  3. write:

    >Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
    >termination.

    I think you should read the textbook.

    >please make it fast

    ....and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

    =?utf-8?B?5p6X5p2w5p2w?=, Apr 12, 2006
  4. pete Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:

    > writes:
    > > Can any one explain me the life cycle
    > > of C from source code to process
    > > termination.

    > Edit, compile, link, run.

    I think that's overly complicated.

    Edit, translate, run.

    --
    pete

    pete, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Eric Sosman Guest

    pete wrote:

    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>>Can any one explain me the life cycle
    >>>of C from source code to process
    >>>termination.

    >>Edit, compile, link, run.

    > I think that's overly complicated.
    >
    > Edit, translate, run.

    Edit, translate, fix syntax errors, translate, fix more
    compile errors, translate, run, curse, study, fix logic
    errors, translate, run, curse, ask for help on comp.lang.c
    but show only the irrelevant lines, be cursed, make random
    change, translate, run, curse, steal unrelated code from rogue.c,
    translate, fix cut-n-paste error, translate, run, curse, have
    Aha! moment, edit, translate, fix silly typo, translate, run,
    HUZZAH! IT'S FINALLY WORKING! My low-level disk formatter is
    even now reformatting (oops!) the disk containing its own source
    code ...

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid

    Eric Sosman, Apr 12, 2006
  6. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
    > process termination.
    >
    > please make it fast

    Yassuh. Edit, compile, run.

    CBFalconer, Apr 12, 2006
  7. CBFalconer Guest

    ??? wrote:
    > write:
    >
    >> Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
    >> process termination.

    > I think you should read the textbook.
    >
    >> please make it fast

    > ...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

    The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
    lose weight, or for religious reasons.

    CBFalconer, Apr 12, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >??? wrote:

    >> ...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

    >The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
    >lose weight, or for religious reasons.

    <OT>
    Summarizing from OED:

    There are four major noun forms of 'fast' (e.g., absetinence from
    food), and two major verb forms, but none of those are relevant to this
    discussion because in "learn it fast", fast cannot grammatically be a
    noun or verb.

    In the context, fast could be an adjective or adverb.

    fast, a.:

    I. firmly fixed in place; not easily turned aside; fixed on the shore
    (of a vessel); fixed in sleep; permanent colour; resistant to stain-
    removing or toxic agent (biology); constipated; close shut, bolted, locked
    (door, window); gripping, tenacious (fast hold); some specialized uses

    II. rapid.
    quick, swift motion; indicating a time more advanced than true time
    (clock); needing only brief exposure (film); some physics uses such
    as fast breeder reactor; adapted to or productive of quick movement
    (e.g., billiard cushions, hard dry cricket grounds); living too
    extravegantly, devoted to pleasure

    III. various combinations like fastback, fast buck, fast lane

    fast as an adverb has very similar senses to the adjective form.
    Sense specifically listed include "Quickly, rapidly, swiftly";
    "in quick succession; one close upon another"; "readily, with alacrity".
    As the sentance being nitted was describing a second action,
    the "quick succession" sense is not ruled out, and the "with alacrity"
    meaning applies as well, in addition to the "quickly, rapidly, swiftly"
    meanings.

    If the phrase had been "make it fast" then adjective or adverb could
    both have been possibilities, but for "learn it fast", adverb is
    the only real choice: "make" is a verb of intentional creation
    of state and an adjective can describe a state (e.g., "make it round"),
    but for "learn" an auxillary denoting mode (that is, an adverb) makes
    more sense -- and... OED clearly shows "quickly" as one of the
    adverbal meanings.

    I would certainly agree that "quickly" would likely be a better
    word than "fast" for the -probable- meaning, but "quickly" is within
    the adverbal meaning, and for those other two senses I noted above, "fast"
    is the appropriate word.

    In summary, your nit is wrong in implying that "fast" was definitely
    being used incorrectly.
    </OT>

    Walter Roberson, Apr 12, 2006
  9. Keith Thompson wrote:
    > writes:

    > > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
    > > termination.

    > Edit, compile, link, run.

    but he already has the (presumably correct) source code so he can skip
    the
    edit phase :)

    <snip>

    --
    Nick Keighley

    Nick Keighley, Apr 12, 2006
  10. It's not full enough, you should've put more curses :DD

    Alexander J. Almaleh, Apr 12, 2006
  11. CBFalconer wrote:

    > ??? wrote:
    > > write:

    [...]
    > >> please make it fast

    > > ...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

    > The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
    > lose weight, or for religious reasons.

    A fast learner learns things quickly.

    (Though, as someone else mentioned elsewhere in this thread, English may
    not be the OP's native language.)

    "Make that 'slow' sign fast. It keeps moving."

    If you don't have enough time to celebrate Yom Kippur, can you fast quickly?

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Apr 12, 2006
  12. ed Guest

    On 11 Apr 2006 17:08:17 -0700
    wrote:

    > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
    > termination.
    >
    > please make it fast

    please make it smart question fast

    Regards, Ed :: http://www.s5h.net
    :%s/\t/ /g :: proud unix system person
    :%s/Open Source/Free Software/g

    ed, Apr 12, 2006
  13. ed Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:47:23 -0400
    Eric Sosman <> wrote:

    > Edit, translate, fix syntax errors, translate, fix more
    > compile errors, translate, run, curse, study, fix logic
    > errors, translate, run, curse, ask for help on comp.lang.c
    > but show only the irrelevant lines, be cursed, make random
    > change, translate, run, curse, steal unrelated code from rogue.c,
    > translate, fix cut-n-paste error, translate, run, curse, have
    > Aha! moment, edit, translate, fix silly typo, translate, run,
    > HUZZAH! IT'S FINALLY WORKING!

    Haha sounds like my day in the office! Just without the copy/paste bit
    of course, I build in the original source with an #ifdef round any
    existing main.

    ed, Apr 12, 2006

    hi keith thompson

    sorry i should really be polite while asking questions
    but in a hurry i wrote something without thinking
    im sorry once again

    and thanks a lot for ur response
    a person who tells our mistakes is our real friend rather than a
    person who
    ignores it( i feel) thanku once again

    Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
    life cycle of C from source code to process termination.

    even i know the answer in one line as u said
    edit,compile,link,run
    i dint understood what to tell them?
    can u tell me what should i explain them?
    and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
    running?

    ok bye
    i will feel happy if u reply me
    take care
    -ramya

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > writes:
    > > Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to process
    > > termination.

    > Edit, compile, link, run.
    >
    > If that's not enough information, you'll have to ask a clearer question.
    >
    > > please make it fast

    > If English isn't your first language, you might not be aware that that
    > sounds a bit arrogant, as if you were giving orders to underlings.
    > You're asking us for help, which we give freely and voluntarily. The
    > best way to get help is to ask clear (and interesting) questions, and
    > to respond quickly to requests for clarification. Telling us that
    > your question is urgent will not get you a response any more quickly;
    > in fact, some people will be less inclined to help you at all.
    >
    > If your question really is urgent, you should explain why -- but don't
    > expect a lot of sympathy. Your urgency does not create a sense of
    > obligation for anyone else.
    >
    > And just in case you haven't read it already, I urge you to read
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> before posting a followup.

    , Apr 13, 2006
  15. writes:
    > hi keith thompson
    >
    > sorry i should really be polite while asking questions
    > but in a hurry i wrote something without thinking
    > im sorry once again

    We get a lot of people here who are unapologetically rude. I'm very
    happy to see you're not one of them.

    In that spirit, a few posting tips:

    Use standard capitalization ("I" and the first letter of each
    sentence), spelling, and punctuation. Avoid abbreviations like "u"
    for "you", "ur" for "your", and so forth; they merely make what you
    write more difficult to read, especially for people whose first
    language isn't English. Typos and minor spelling and grammatical
    errors are usually ignored; certain kinds of silly abbreviations are
    not.

    Also, please don't top-post. See <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    for more information.

    [...]

    > Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
    > life cycle of C from source code to process termination.
    >
    > even i know the answer in one line as u said
    > edit,compile,link,run
    > i dint understood what to tell them?
    > can u tell me what should i explain them?
    > and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
    > running?

    I'm not sure there's much I can add to what's already been said. The
    details of how programs are compiled and executed can vary from one
    implementation to another. The language doesn't even define the
    concept of a "process".

    The standard does define 8 "translation phases" (see C99 5.1.1.2;
    google n1124.pdf to see the most recent draft), but compilers are
    merely required to operate *as if* they work in separate phases. The
    standard says even less about how programs are executed.

    Keith Thompson, Apr 13, 2006
  16. CBFalconer wrote:
    > ??? wrote:
    >
    >> write:
    >>

    >>>Can any one explain me the life cycle of C from source code to
    >>>process termination.

    >>I think you should read the textbook.
    >>

    >>>please make it fast

    >>...and learn to be polite, too.Please learn it fast...

    > The word is quickly. You make boats fast to docks, or you fast to
    > lose weight, or for religious reasons.

    Unnecessary comment I think. English is not everyone's (myself included)
    native tongue around here, you know.

    August

    --
    I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
    signature. This email was infected under the terms of the GNU

    August Karlstrom, Apr 13, 2006
  17. wrote:

    > Actually i was asked to give a seminar on the following question
    > life cycle of C from source code to process termination.
    >
    > even i know the answer in one line as u said
    > edit,compile,link,run
    > i dint understood what to tell them?
    > can u tell me what should i explain them?

    I'd be tempted to go back to the person who asked you to do the
    seminar and ask them what they expected you to cover.

    "edit,compile,link,run"

    is going to make for a very short seminar!

    > and when do the process terminate? will it terminate immediately after
    > running?

    depend on the OS, but generally yes. When you return from main() or
    call
    exit() etc. You end up in platform specific code which will generally
    terminate
    the process and return a value to the caller (parent).

    <snip>

    --
    Nick Keighley

    Nick Keighley, Apr 13, 2006