Light Box Effect (2 Windows, 1 Smaller And Active Above Inactive

clusardi2k

From: (e-mail address removed)

Does anybody have a project that will give me a Light Box effect to a project.

A Light Box Effect produces two windows. One window will be active, but the one
below it will be inactive and grayed out.

Here's an image of what I want to achieve.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6605964/lightbox-effect-in-swing

I'm not interested in licensed code.

Thank you,

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

markspace

To: clusardi2k
From: markspace <-@.>

Does anybody have a project that will give me a Light Box effect to a
project.

A Light Box Effect produces two windows. One window will be active,
but the one below it will be inactive and grayed out.

Here's an image of what I want to achieve.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6605964/lightbox-effect-in-swing

There's a class JLayer which provides the basics. You'll have to provide a
fair amount of code though; I'm not aware of any class that provides a
lightbox feature.

There's also a book call Swing Hacks which has some interesting ideas,
including an animated window similar to what you are asking for. Still not
exactly a lightbox however.

<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/misc/jlayer.html>

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

clusardi2k

There are 2 books with that title from 2005.

I think Amazon says the book is old!

Thanks,

markspace

There are 2 books with that title from 2005.

I think Amazon says the book is old!

It is old. But the code still works, and shows some important things
that are not available anywhere else. Old is not always bad.

clusardi2k

For a cost of $4.24, I'll definiately have the following book in about a week:

Swing Hacks: Tips and Tools for Killer GUIs(1st Edition)
by Joshua Marinacci, Chris Adamson
Paperback, 546 Pages, Published 2005 by O'reilly Media
ISBN-13: 978-0-596-00907-6, ISBN: 0-596-00907-0

Funny, how something so rich in ideas can be so inexpensive.

So thanks for another shelf book, but I won't keep my fingers crossed on me building the best of the best in this case.

And, I don't think I'll ever be able to develop the animation totally on my own! My implementation would amount to being too slow, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, what's wrong with just disabling a large window below a smaller enabled window?

(I'll probably try to just live with that.)

Does anyone have a project which hints of a light box effect. The code doesn't have to be a full blown light box effect.

Thanks,

markspace

Swing Hacks: Tips and Tools for Killer GUIs(1st Edition) by Joshua
Marinacci, Chris Adamson
So thanks for another shelf book, but I won't keep my fingers crossed
on me building the best of the best in this case.

Yes, that's the book. When you get it, Hack #45, Animating a Sheet
Dialog, is the one I am thinking of. It shows how to make an animation
for a dialog as it appears and disappears. Similar to the Mac interface
at the time it was written. I think you could use the same technique to
grey the background and then display your dialog on top to make a lightbox.

clusardi2k

To: markspace