    investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
    in Ruby).

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Aug 30, 2006

  2. On 8/30/06, Phil Tomson <> wrote:
    > Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://activemq.org ) like messaging
    > broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
    > thoughts on what it would take?
    >
    > ActiveMQ is a beast (especially if you're not familiar with the java
    > alphabet soup) and I'd like to find something in Ruby (or perhaps
    > investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
    > in Ruby).
    >
    > Phil

    I've thought a lot about it, and have already written some code.
    Contact me privately if you like and we'll talk about requirements.

    Francis Cianfrocca, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Ben Bleything, Aug 30, 2006
  4. On 8/30/06, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    > On Thu, Aug 31, 2006, Phil Tomson wrote:
    > > Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://activemq.org ) like messaging
    > > broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
    > > thoughts on what it would take?

    > It looks like something along these lines already exists:
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/reliable-msg/
    >
    > I haven't looked at it, but it came up in a thread in December 2005 on a
    > similar topic: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/172820
    >
    > Ben

    I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
    it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
    emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
    libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
    point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
    if I'm wrong.)

    Francis Cianfrocca, Aug 30, 2006
  5. On Thu, Aug 31, 2006, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
    > it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
    > emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
    > libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
    > point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
    > if I'm wrong.)

    Are there features it's lacking that are required? Did Assaf indicate
    that he's no longer interested in maintaining it?

    Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
    towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
    think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
    technical reasons.

    Just my opinion, though :)

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Aug 31, 2006
  6. On 8/30/06, Ben Bleything <> wrote:
    > Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
    > towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
    > think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
    > technical reasons.

    Good point.

    Francis Cianfrocca, Aug 31, 2006