Lighter-weight ActiveMQ-like thingy in Ruby?

Phil Tomson

Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://activemq.org ) like messaging
broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
thoughts on what it would take?

ActiveMQ is a beast (especially if you're not familiar with the java
alphabet soup) and I'd like to find something in Ruby (or perhaps
investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
in Ruby).

Phil

Francis Cianfrocca

Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://activemq.org ) like messaging
broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
thoughts on what it would take?

ActiveMQ is a beast (especially if you're not familiar with the java
alphabet soup) and I'd like to find something in Ruby (or perhaps
investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
in Ruby).

Phil

I've thought a lot about it, and have already written some code.
Contact me privately if you like and we'll talk about requirements.

Francis Cianfrocca

It looks like something along these lines already exists:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/reliable-msg/

I haven't looked at it, but it came up in a thread in December 2005 on a
similar topic: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/172820

Ben

I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
if I'm wrong.)

Ben Bleything

I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
if I'm wrong.)

Are there features it's lacking that are required? Did Assaf indicate
that he's no longer interested in maintaining it?

Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
technical reasons.

Just my opinion, though :)

Ben

Francis Cianfrocca

Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
technical reasons.

Good point.