Limit on HTML listbox entries?

JohnH

I have an ASP app (developed with Interdev 6) which uses
a DTC listbox (server-side) bound to a recordset to allow
the user to make a selection. This works fine until the
number of records in the record set seems to hit a limit
(not determined the exact limit, but seems to be c. 400).
If there are too many records, the app just hangs until
it hits the scripttimeout limit. I've tried increasing
both the command timout (I'm using an ADO command object
to generate the recordset) and the scripttimeout to no
avail. Does anyone know whether there IS a defined limit
on the number of entries in a listbox? Also, any better
ideas on how to allow the user to select from a large
number of records (> 1000)?

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

on the number of entries in a listbox? Also, any better
ideas on how to allow the user to select from a large
number of records (> 1000)?

Let them break it down, e.g. give me a list of those that start with A, B,
C, etc.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

a DTC listbox (server-side) bound to a recordset to allow
the user to make a selection.

Yuck. Do you really need to use a DTC here? You realize how easy it is to
populate a <SELECT> list from a database, without using this proprietary and
browser-dependant nonsense, right?

JohnH