    somehow the resources each request can allocate so one request does not halt
    the whole application.

    - Mike

    Michael Per, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Michael Per

    Damien Guest

    Michael Per wrote:
    > Does anybody know of a best way to limit system resources (CPU/memory) for
    > each particular request? In my application based on user's parameters a
    > request may take considerable amount of time and system resources. This kind
    > of request may take 100% CPU and make all other requests in the queue halt.
    > While I don't want this request to simply time out, I'd like to limit
    > somehow the resources each request can allocate so one request does not halt
    > the whole application.

    > - Mike

    If the type of requests which cause 100% CPU fall into a simple, easily
    identifiable category (e.g. requests from one page), then you may be
    able to achieve your aim through the Async request model. This, in
    combination with a low priority thread to perform the actual work would
    lower your impact on other requests.

    Course, then we get to how you manage your additional threads. Three

    1) Only 1 thread, deals with all processor intensive tasks in series.
    Has the effect of serialising all such requests.
    2) Launch one thread per request. Doesn't scale well when there are a
    thousand requests.
    3) Build a thread pool. Most complex option.

    Damien, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Michael Per

    Michael Per Guest

    Damien, thank you for you response. Unfortunately they don't fall into an
    easily identifiable category. It depends on user parameters and database
    content. I am looking for more generic solution that I can apply on
    application level to "protect" every request from monopolizing the system.

    Michael Per, Jun 1, 2005