limit system resources for a request

Michael Per

Does anybody know of a best way to limit system resources (CPU/memory) for
each particular request? In my application based on user's parameters a
request may take considerable amount of time and system resources. This kind
of request may take 100% CPU and make all other requests in the queue halt.
While I don't want this request to simply time out, I'd like to limit
somehow the resources each request can allocate so one request does not halt
the whole application.

- Mike

Damien

Michael said:
Does anybody know of a best way to limit system resources (CPU/memory) for
each particular request? In my application based on user's parameters a
request may take considerable amount of time and system resources. This kind
of request may take 100% CPU and make all other requests in the queue halt.
While I don't want this request to simply time out, I'd like to limit
somehow the resources each request can allocate so one request does not halt
the whole application.

- Mike

If the type of requests which cause 100% CPU fall into a simple, easily
identifiable category (e.g. requests from one page), then you may be
able to achieve your aim through the Async request model. This, in
combination with a low priority thread to perform the actual work would
lower your impact on other requests.

Course, then we get to how you manage your additional threads. Three

1) Only 1 thread, deals with all processor intensive tasks in series.
Has the effect of serialising all such requests.
2) Launch one thread per request. Doesn't scale well when there are a
thousand requests.
3) Build a thread pool. Most complex option.

Michael Per

Damien, thank you for you response. Unfortunately they don't fall into an
easily identifiable category. It depends on user parameters and database
content. I am looking for more generic solution that I can apply on
application level to "protect" every request from monopolizing the system.