Limit to size of POST in forms?

news.amnet.net.au

Hi

I am running Apache Oracle http server 1.3.22 and I have written a jsp where
the size of the information sent in a form with the POST procedure can be
very large: long description fields together with a long list of pathnames
of files. The POST event sends of this information to another jsp where file
uploading is done.

The problem is that when the description and/or the list of pathnames is
very long, the jsp window just hangs (there isn't even an hourglass to tell
the user it is busy processing).

I have independently tested making very large uploads with a non-browser
java program to my Oracle CMSDK area (files in a database with metadata) and
there seems to be no limit to that.

I suspect the problem is with the size of the strings that are posted to the
next jsp, before the upload is done. In any case, uploading only starts in
the next window, so one can expect the browser to display the next window,
then in that second window hang on the upload, if the upload was the
problem. However, I never get to my next window.

In addition, I also have this problem in another jsp where there is no
uploading but again, very large description fields.

Is there a limit to the size of the information that can be sent via a POST
event? If so, is there a place where this can be changed?
Is the limit a web server limitation, or perhaps a limitation of the
browser? Most people here use Internet Explorer.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo

Isofarro

news.amnet.net.au said:
I am running Apache Oracle http server 1.3.22 and I have written a jsp [snip]

The problem is that when the description and/or the list of pathnames is
very long, the jsp window just hangs (there isn't even an hourglass to
tell the user it is busy processing).

Look at the content length header in the HttpRequest object.
request.getContentLength()