Limit to size of POST in forms?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by news.amnet.net.au, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I am running Apache Oracle http server 1.3.22 and I have written a jsp where
    the size of the information sent in a form with the POST procedure can be
    very large: long description fields together with a long list of pathnames
    of files. The POST event sends of this information to another jsp where file
    uploading is done.

    The problem is that when the description and/or the list of pathnames is
    very long, the jsp window just hangs (there isn't even an hourglass to tell
    the user it is busy processing).

    I have independently tested making very large uploads with a non-browser
    java program to my Oracle CMSDK area (files in a database with metadata) and
    there seems to be no limit to that.

    I suspect the problem is with the size of the strings that are posted to the
    next jsp, before the upload is done. In any case, uploading only starts in
    the next window, so one can expect the browser to display the next window,
    then in that second window hang on the upload, if the upload was the
    problem. However, I never get to my next window.

    In addition, I also have this problem in another jsp where there is no
    uploading but again, very large description fields.

    Is there a limit to the size of the information that can be sent via a POST
    event? If so, is there a place where this can be changed?
    Is the limit a web server limitation, or perhaps a limitation of the
    browser? Most people here use Internet Explorer.

    Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Hugo

    news.amnet.net.au, Sep 10, 2004

  2. news.amnet.net.au

    rf Guest

    news.amnet.net.au wrote:

    > Hi

    So you said over in AWW. Where do you want your answer?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 10, 2004

  3. news.amnet.net.au

    Isofarro Guest

    news.amnet.net.au wrote:

    > I am running Apache Oracle http server 1.3.22 and I have written a jsp

    [snip]

    > The problem is that when the description and/or the list of pathnames is
    > very long, the jsp window just hangs (there isn't even an hourglass to
    > tell the user it is busy processing).

    Look at the content length header in the HttpRequest object.
    request.getContentLength()

    --
    Isofarro.
    FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com/