limitations of Java VM under Windows/Linux?

Angus Parvis

Hi,

I'm currently writing a paper about the limitations of the Java VM under
Windows and Linux.

I thought to write about the following: Sockets (size, number of packets
that can be processed at once), COM-communication, behavior of GUI,
character representation (encondings used), class java.lang.System,
garbage collection.

What do you think about these topics? Are they worth to be discussed?
What about other topics - do you have any experience with limitations of
the Java VM?

Thanks for your help,

Angus

hiwa

Angus Parvis said:
Hi,

I'm currently writing a paper about the limitations of the Java VM under
Windows and Linux.

I thought to write about the following: Sockets (size, number of packets
that can be processed at once), COM-communication, behavior of GUI,
character representation (encondings used), class java.lang.System,
garbage collection.

What do you think about these topics? Are they worth to be discussed?
What about other topics - do you have any experience with limitations of
the Java VM?

Thanks for your help,

Angus

I like to read paper written based on writer's own real experience and
state-of-mind.

Limitation I feel for Java is lack of true reference-passing in method
call.

Angus Parvis

hiwa said:
I like to read paper written based on writer's own real experience and
state-of-mind.

I agree, but as a university student I don't have experience enough ..
Limitation I feel for Java is lack of true reference-passing in method
call.

Thx, but I guess this is a limitation of Java in general and does not
behave different under Linux/Windows.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Angus said:
I agree, but as a university student I don't have experience enough ..

So why do you want to tell others about Java, if you don't know it? And
why should we do your research if you are apparently supposed to
research these things?

/Thomas

janne

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
So why do you want to tell others about Java, if you don't know it? And
why should we do your research if you are apparently supposed to
research these things?

Someone seems a bit cranky, huh? :)

Good luck with the paper!