Limited number of objects in Java?

Patrick

I'm using Jakarta-POI to create a huge Excel spreadsheet. I get the
error below when the spreadsheet grows to a large size. It seems to
have something to do with the number of "cell" objects that I create.
If I destroy other objects that I don't need any more, then I can
create more "cell" objects. Unfortunately, I cannot destroy any more
of my other objects without breaking the program. This does not appear
to be a problem that is specific to Jakarta-POI. I had the same
problem with my own custom objects, but in that case I was able to get
around the problem by only keeping a small number of those objects in
memory at any given time. I'm debugging this program through JBuilder
7 using Tomcat 4.0. Perhaps this is a problem with Tomcat and not with
Java? Any help would be appreciated.

StandardWrapperValve[invoker]: Servlet.service() for servlet invoker
threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Invoker service() exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Invoker service() exception
at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:504)
at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doPost(InvokerServlet.java:216)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.java:246)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1012)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1107)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

pete kirkham

Is there not a 'caused by' exception you could give us, instead of the
'servlet exception'?

Pete