Limiting characters brought back from a datalist.

Roffers

Hi everyone.

I've got this problem that I really have no idea how to solve.

I have a datalist that brings back x amount of rows, I need to limit
this datalist by 100 characters and then append a "..." to the end.

<asp:DataList id="dlDataList" runat="server"
RepeatDirection="Horizontal" RepeatLayout="Flow">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:LinkButton Runat="server"
ID="lnkbtn1"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"vc_desc")%></asp:LinkButton>
</ItemTemplate>
<AlternatingItemTemplate>
, <asp:LinkButton Runat="server"
ID="lnkbtn2"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"vc_desc")%></asp:LinkButton>
</AlternatingItemTemplate>
</asp:DataList>

You'll see that the list currently gets rendered like
Item1, Item2, Item3, Item4

I need it to be
Item1, Item2, Item3, Ite...

Any help would be appreciated.
Mark

jb

Roffers said:
[...]

You need to add handler for the itemdatabound event. There are plenty of
examples around.

jai