    Thanks
    --

    Paul
    Paul Goodwin, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Paul Goodwin

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmsmp0$qjqp8$-berlin.de>
    Paul Goodwin said...

    > I'd like to use stylesheets for eBay auctions, obviously I have no access to
    > the 'head' section so I can't use an external stylesheet or put the CSS
    > there, so I'm wondering if there's any limits to what I can do using inline
    > styles,

    hard to say. attribute values were limited to 1024 characters but
    html4 changed it to 65536 (max SGML size) and:

    "These are the largest values permitted in the declaration Avoid fixed
    limits in actual implementations of HTML UA's"

    so it depends on what the UA wants to do.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html

    > or is there a way to link to an external stylesheet without putting
    > it in the head?

    stick the <link> in as the first line of the <body>. works with IE6,
    moz1.5 and opera3.6+

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 10:57:04 am
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Paul Goodwin

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > so it depends on what the UA wants to do.
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html

    Thanks for the link. I have no idea what any of it means, but there's little
    I enjoy these days more than learnin' ;-)

    > > or is there a way to link to an external stylesheet without putting
    > > it in the head?

    > stick the <link> in as the first line of the <body>. works with IE6,
    > moz1.5 and opera3.6+

    Unfortunately, having looked at the unbelievable mess of code soup that is
    the average eBay auction, I can't get anywhere near the first line of

    --

    Paul
    Paul Goodwin, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Paul Goodwin

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmss6k$q9b75$-berlin.de>
    Paul Goodwin said...

    >>> or is there a way to link to an external stylesheet without putting
    >>> it in the head?

    >> stick the <link> in as the first line of the <body>. works with IE6,
    >> moz1.5 and opera3.6+

    > Unfortunately, having looked at the unbelievable mess of code soup that is
    > the average eBay auction, I can't get anywhere near the first line of

    give it a go anyway and see if the browsers can work it out.

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 12:44:17 pm
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Paul Goodwin wrote:

    > "brucie" <> wrote:
    >
    >> stick the <link> in as the first line of the <body>. works with IE6,
    >> moz1.5 and opera3.6+

    > Unfortunately, having looked at the unbelievable mess of code soup that is
    > the average eBay auction, I can't get anywhere near the first line of

    Technically you could use a scoped stylesheet like:

    <!-- your stuff goes here -->

    Although I've never heard of any browsers supporting it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Technically you could use a scoped stylesheet like:

    > <!-- your stuff goes here -->
    >
    > Although I've never heard of any browsers supporting it.

    shame - I can see the benefit with reusable page elements

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Paul Goodwin

    Denise Enck Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <bmss6k$q9b75$-berlin.de>
    > Paul Goodwin said...

    > >> stick the <link> in as the first line of the <body>. works with IE6,
    > >> moz1.5 and opera3.6+

    > > Unfortunately, having looked at the unbelievable mess of code soup that

    is
    > > the average eBay auction, I can't get anywhere near the first line of

    > give it a go anyway and see if the browsers can work it out.
    >
    > --
    > brucie.
    > 19/October/2003 12:44:17 pm

    That's what I did on my eBay "about me" page - I just stuck the <link> in
    first chance I got, and it works okay. eBay pages are indeed a mess anyway.
    I haven't tried in in auctions but why not give it a shot?

    cheers ~
    Denise
    Denise Enck, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Paul Goodwin

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "Denise Enck" <> wrote in message

    > That's what I did on my eBay "about me" page - I just stuck the <link> in
    > first chance I got, and it works okay. eBay pages are indeed a mess

    anyway.
    > I haven't tried in in auctions but why not give it a shot?

    I will indeed & report back if it works, thanks to all for replying :)

    --

    Paul
    Paul Goodwin, Oct 19, 2003