Line after or before a word

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:eek:SnHb.39949$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    > How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

    do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?

    span{text-decoration:line-through;}

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 08:42:42 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 27, 2003

  3. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > in post <news:eek:SnHb.39949$>
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said:
    >
    > > How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

    > do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?
    >
    > span{text-decoration:line-through;}

    &nbsp;</span></p>

    > --
    > brucie
    > 28/December/2003 08:42:42 am kilo

    I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
    http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html
    Also I wonder whether and how I can set the inclination of the line

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.italymap.dk
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 27, 2003
  4. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
    > http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

    The lines are part of the image. You use an image processing program to
    add text and lines into an image.

    (It would be possible, with the usual caveats, to create horizontal and
    vertical lines using CSS and position them on the image. But that would
    be unreliable and very clumsy as compared with the simple use of image
    processing software.)

    Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
    on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    problems. Luckily there are links to alternatives that contain the
    information as lists of links. An image map should always be
    accompanied with such a list, especially since popular browsers
    effectively fail to implement client-side image maps when the image is
    not available, i.e. they don't make the areas available with their alt
    texts.

    And in that particular image map, lack of alt texts is essential when
    the image is displayed, too. In many parts the server density is so
    high that it is impossible to say which square corresponds to which
    city unless you know Italian geography well. Well, there's the status
    line, where the URL might help. But it's a poor surrogate for an
    appropriate alt text.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:MDoHb.39952$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    >>> How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?

    >> do you mean something like ---- word ---- ?
    >>
    >> span{text-decoration:line-through;}

    > &nbsp;</span></p>

    > I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
    > http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

    i don't see any lines on that page except under the links

    > Also I wonder whether and how I can set the inclination of the line

    use an image

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 09:58:33 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 27, 2003
  6. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I mean a line without spaces something like the lines on the page
    > > http://www.cilea.it/WWW-map/NIR-map.html

    > The lines are part of the image. You use an image processing program to
    > add text and lines into an image.
    >
    > (It would be possible, with the usual caveats, to create horizontal and
    > vertical lines using CSS and position them on the image. But that would
    > be unreliable and very clumsy as compared with the simple use of image
    > processing software.)
    >
    > Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
    > on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    > problems.

    Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy" at
    www.google.com !

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:ccpHb.39955$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    >> Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
    >> on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    >> problems.

    > Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy" at
    > www.google.com !

    it doesn't mean SHIT if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
    NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 10:11:47 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 28, 2003
  8. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > in post <news:ccpHb.39955$>
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said:
    >
    > >> Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
    > >> on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    > >> problems.

    > > Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy"

    at
    > > www.google.com !

    > it doesn't mean SHIT if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
    > NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

    Why do you shout ( capital letters)?
    My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into account
    when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number of
    visitors of the site?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 28, 2003
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:zmpHb.43861$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    >>> Well, that page was still number one when I looked for "map of Italy"
    >>> at www.google.com !

    >> it doesn't mean SHIT if PEOPLE cant use it but it doesn't matter its
    >> NUMBER ONE ON GOOGLE. for **** sake.

    > Why do you shout ( capital letters)?

    there was a really good song on the radio and i had it up really loud.

    > My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into account
    > when it ranks it on the top

    google is not human. it wouldn't know a good/bad site if it bit it on
    its bum. it guesses.

    > or only other things like perhaps the number of visitors of the site?

    google has no way of knowing how many visitors a site gets unless
    they're from links on its own pages that its tracking and then its still
    a guess.

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 10:22:10 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 28, 2003
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Jan Faerber Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:21:51 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
    > account
    > when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number
    > of
    > visitors of the site?
    >
    > --
    > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    Yes, but your subject was "Line after or before a word".

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Dec 28, 2003
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Jan Faerber Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:39:16 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?
    > By <hr>?

    No - <hr> means "horizontal rule" and is used to draw a line more in a way
    to part text
    in a vertical kind.

    I would use the <u> tag which stands for "underline".

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Dec 28, 2003
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:eek:>
    Jan Faerber said:

    > I would use the <u> tag which stands for "underline".

    deprecated and it doesn't necessarily mean "underline"

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 11:48:20 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 28, 2003
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Jan Faerber Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:50:17 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >> I would use the <u> tag which stands for "underline".

    > deprecated and it doesn't necessarily mean "underline"

    Oh - anyway the equivalent thing to your css style
    span{text-decoration:line-through;}
    would be <s> for "stroke"?

    But of course - <s> is as well deprecated.

    Jan
    Jan Faerber, Dec 28, 2003
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:eek:>
    Jan Faerber said:

    >>> I would use the <u> tag which stands for "underline".

    >> deprecated and it doesn't necessarily mean "underline"

    > Oh - anyway the equivalent thing to your css style
    > span{text-decoration:line-through;}
    > would be <s> for "stroke"?

    strike

    > But of course - <s> is as well deprecated.

    and it doesn't necessarily mean "strike through text"

    --
    brucie
    28/December/2003 02:33:44 pm kilo
    brucie, Dec 28, 2003
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Jan Faerber Guest

    >> My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
    >> account
    >> when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the
    >> number of
    >> visitors of the site?

    > Yes, but ...

    Anyway, http://62.178.240.60/images/msgoogle.gif
    here is a nice gif concerning the topic "Microsoft wants to buy Google".

    They don´t like to see so much linux users searching with Google
    and very often sex sites come as a result from a completely different word
    you search for.

    Jan
    Jan Faerber, Dec 28, 2003
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > How do you draw a line after a word or before a word in HTML and/or CSS?
    > By <hr>?

    That's one way.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 28, 2003
  17. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > Hopefully you will create something more sensible than the image map
    > on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    > problems. Luckily there are links to alternatives that contain the
    > information as lists of links. An image map should always be
    > accompanied with such a list, especially since popular browsers
    > effectively fail to implement client-side image maps when the image is
    > not available, i.e. they don't make the areas available with their alt
    > texts.
    >
    > And in that particular image map, lack of alt texts is essential when
    > the image is displayed, too. In many parts the server density is so
    > high that it is impossible to say which square corresponds to which
    > city unless you know Italian geography well. Well, there's the status
    > line, where the URL might help. But it's a poor surrogate for an
    > appropriate alt text.

    Well, do you mean alt texts as the ones I wrote on the map of Italy on the
    page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    and links to alternatives as
    [Aosta] [Milano] [Torino(Turin)] [Genova(Genua)] [Trento] [Trieste] [Venezia
    (Venedig)] [Bologna] [Firenze (Florens)] [Ancona] [Perugia] [L´Aquila] [Roma
    (Rom)] [Campobasso] [Bari] [Napoli (Neapel)] [Potenza] [Catanzaro] [Palermo]
    [Cagliari] on the same page ?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 28, 2003
  18. "Jan Faerber" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:21:51 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
    > > account
    > > when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number
    > > of
    > > visitors of the site?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    > Yes, but your subject was "Line after or before a word".
    >
    > Jan

    I did not mean that the question above was my original question.
    The question "does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
    account
    when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number
    of visitors of the site?"
    was referred to the sentence "Hopefully you will create something more
    sensible than the image map
    on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
    problems" which had been written by
    Jukka K. Korpela.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 28, 2003
  19. brucie <> wrote:

    >>> deprecated and it doesn't necessarily mean "underline"

    Actually, it means exactly that:
    "U: Deprecated. Renders underlined text."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-U

    The <u> markup is physical markup that indicates underlined text. This
    does not imply that the text will always be underlined, just as
    since browsers may have physical limitations, and user style sheets
    could be used to change the rendering in strange ways. But <u> still
    _means_ 'underline'.

    > and it doesn't necessarily mean "strike through text"

    Well, it by definition means just that.

    (The <del> markup, on the other hand, means 'deleted text', and
    although it is usually rendered as strike through text, its meaning is
    not defined by its possible appearance. But physical markup _is_
    defined by the appearance indicated.)

    Of course, this has nothing to do with the problem of creating lines
    into a map. But I thought the issue of physical markup needed to be
    clarified. Physical markup is not recommendable, as a rule, but it's
    simple; no need to make its _meaning_ complicated.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 28, 2003
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:Xns945FEB32FA833jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>
    Jukka K. Korpela said:

    > Actually, it means exactly that:
    > "U: Deprecated. Renders underlined text."
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-U

    "Rendering of font style elements depends on the user agent. The
    following is an informative description only."

    > The <u> markup is physical markup that indicates underlined text. This
    > does not imply that the text will always be underlined,

    thats what i said.

    --
    brucie
    29/December/2003 07:51:20 am kilo