Line after or before a word

Jukka K. Korpela

brucie said:
"Rendering of font style elements depends on the user agent. The
following is an informative description only."

That's one of the many obscurities in the specification. If you take it
literally, then some elements lack _all_ definitions. There are just
"informative descriptions" - and a browser could well render <big> as
extra extra small text, or make the text blink just because of the
<big> markup, or make a big noise. If we take the reasonable approach,
<big> _means_ (stands for) big font, and what depends on the browser is
_how_ big (how much bigger) it is rendered and whether the browser is
able to render the text bigger at all - i.e., whether it can implement
the meaning of the markup. Similar considerations apply to said:
thats what i said.

Not quite. You said "it doesn't necessarily mean 'underline'". What I
wrote says that <u> always means 'underline', stands for 'underline',
but browsers might fail to implement this meaning.

It's like a teacher telling the students to underline some statement in
a textbook. Even if some students refuse to do that, perhaps to protect
the integrity of their books, or because they lack pencils and pens,
the teacher's instruction still _means_ 'underline'.

Andrew Glasgow

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Why do you shout ( capital letters)?

For emphasis, probably. And because he's a rude bastard (he'd be the
first to admit it).
My question is: does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into account
when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number of
visitors of the site?

No, page rank does not analyze the functionality of the HTML (or
whatever) page, at least not directly, although one would hope that on
average better-made websites would be ranked higher than poorly-made
ones.

Andrew Glasgow

Yes, but ...

Anyway, http://62.178.240.60/images/msgoogle.gif
here is a nice gif concerning the topic "Microsoft wants to buy Google".

They don´t like to see so much linux users searching with Google
and very often sex sites come as a result from a completely different word
you search for.

Jan[/QUOTE]

This is entirely irrelvant to the discussion.

And Microsoft's issue with Google is not that linux users use it but
that Google is Successful, and Not Theirs. I believe there is a sense
in the Microsoft corporate culture that it is almost blasphemous for any
non-microsoft company to be the leader in a
information-technology-related field. They're out to kill Google simply
because it's there.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Andrew Glasgow said:
For emphasis, probably. And because he's a rude bastard (he'd be the
first to admit it).

No, page rank does not analyze the functionality of the HTML (or
whatever) page, at least not directly, although one would hope that on
average better-made websites would be ranked higher than poorly-made
ones.

What about that?
"Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google
remembers each time it conducts a search."
Source:
http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/lagenheteriitalien.html

Bill Clark

Andrew said:
And Microsoft's issue with Google is not that linux users use it but
that Google is Successful, and Not Theirs. I believe there is a sense
in the Microsoft corporate culture that it is almost blasphemous for any
non-microsoft company to be the leader in a
information-technology-related field. They're out to kill Google simply
because it's there.

Interesting related article:

http://69.56.255.194/?article=13350

Toby A Inkster

Luigi said:
"Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google
remembers each time it conducts a search."
Source:
http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that when Google says
"high-quality" it means "high-quality".

PageRank is based entirely on link popularity. If lots of popular pages
link to yours it will get a high PageRank. If barely no pages link to
yours, it will get a low PageRank.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby A Inkster said:
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that when Google says
"high-quality" it means "high-quality".

PageRank is based entirely on link popularity. If lots of popular pages
link to yours it will get a high PageRank. If barely no pages link to
yours, it will get a low PageRank.

Did you read the article? I understand that PageRank is one of the criteria
not the only one.

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/lagenheteriitalien.html

Toby A Inkster

Luigi said:
Did you read the article? I understand that PageRank is one of the criteria
not the only one.

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

Well obviously there is a second criteria: relevancy. There is no point in
returning a highly PageRanked page on miniature golf when the user has
searched for "neuroscience".

Google uses many different and sophisticated methods to determine
relevancy, but PageRank is the only method it uses to determine "quality",
so a high position on Google doesn't mean that a page is of a high quality.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby A Inkster said:
Well obviously there is a second criteria: relevancy. There is no point in
returning a highly PageRanked page on miniature golf when the user has
searched for "neuroscience".

Google uses many different and sophisticated methods to determine
relevancy, but PageRank is the only method it uses to determine "quality",
so a high position on Google doesn't mean that a page is of a high
quality.

Do you think that the rank of your website would not change if you would
insert some mistakes in your HTML by purpose?
Javascript can prevent robots to see some parts of a page as far as I
understand, for example.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/lagenheteriitalien.html

JustAnotherGuy

Luigi said:
Do you think that the rank of your website would not change if you would
insert some mistakes in your HTML by purpose?

Yeah, it wouldn't change.
Javascript can prevent robots to see some parts of a page as far as I
understand, for example.

Yeah, but that's terribly bad. The difference between good and not good
is harder for a robot to pick up than the difference between good and
exceptionally terrible. What do you think, the machine puts the page
through a validator?

MSN.com is a horrible website, but I bet it's highly ranked in searches
for "MSN".

Luigi Donatello Asero

JustAnotherGuy said:
Yeah, it wouldn't change.

Did you test it?
Yeah, but that's terribly bad. The difference between good and not good
is harder for a robot to pick up than the difference between good and
exceptionally terrible. What do you think, the machine puts the page
through a validator?

MSN.com is a horrible website, but I bet it's highly ranked in searches
for "MSN".

Well, I do not want to discuss whether "MSN" is a good site or not but I
have not maintained that the quality of a page is the only thing which
counts anyway.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/lagenheteriitalien.html

Jan Faerber

This is entirely irrelvant to the discussion.

And Microsoft's issue with Google is not that linux users use it but
that Google is Successful, and Not Theirs. I believe there is a sense
in the Microsoft corporate culture that it is almost blasphemous for any
non-microsoft company to be the leader in a
information-technology-related field. They're out to kill Google simply
because it's there.

ups, ... a long time ago I posted my answer to this subject.
I just had a look now.

I read two titles of two articles today.
One said that Microsoft buys companies where only
linux users where buying products in the past
because then Linux will a target for viruses aswell.

Google will not become microsoft -
there was no result in the talks.
MS will present a new search engine integrated in IE `till the end of 2004.
Search engines will become more desktop orientated.

I would not say it so strikt: MS win is more structured than linux.
In many ways it is a step back to go from windows to linux.
For a simple user Windows is fine. But if you want
to see more then there are many borders in win.
That is my opinion.

j.f.

Jan Faerber

I did not mean that the question above was my original question.
The question "does Google take the bad/good quality of a page into
account
when it ranks it on the top or only other things like perhaps the number
of visitors of the site?"
was referred to the sentence "Hopefully you will create something more
sensible than the image map
on the page you mention. That particular image map suffers from several
problems" which had been written by
Jukka K. Korpela.

Ok - no problem.

So I refer again to "Google"