Line by line execution of python code

Justin Powell

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish something in python. If
this is the wrong list for such things, I appologize and please disregard the
rest.

My application needs to allow users to create scripts which will be executed
in a statement-by-statement fashion. Here's a little pseudo-code:

def someUserProgram():
while 1:
print "I am a user program"

def mainProgram():
someProgram = someUserProgram
while 1:
print "Doing some stuff here"
executeOneStatement(someProgram)

def executeOneStatement(program):
# What goes in here?

I would expect the output to look like this:

Doing some stuff here
Doing some stuff here
I am a sub program
Doing some stuff here
Doing some stuff here
I am a sub program
etc.

It's possible to use generators to accomplish this, but unfortunately a
state-ment by statement executing would require that every other statement is
a yield. That would either force the users to put in a yield after every
statement, or require a mechanism that parses the source and inserts yield
statement before execution. Neither of these are really satisfactory

The other methods I've considered for doing this cleanly (subclassing the
debugger, or the interactive interpreter) seem to revolve around sys.settrace
and a callback trace function. I couldn't figure out a way to use this
mechanism to resume the main loop from the trace function, and then also
resume the user program the next time around, without the call stack just
spiraling out of control.

Anybody have a solution to this? I've done a bit of searching, looking
through python docs and sources and so forth, and I'm pretty stumped at this
point.

Thanks.

http://mail.yahoo.com

mkPyVS

Try this... slightly more complex but get's the job done-> added some
wait state in the user program/thread so it didn't kill the output
stream... Enjoy

import thread, sys, time

def someUserProgram(mutexRef):
while 1:
mutexRef.acquire()
print "I am a user program"
mutexRef.release()
time.sleep(1)

class main:
def __init__(self):
self.mutex = thread.allocate_lock()
self.someProgram = None

def mainProgram(self,someUserProgram):

self.someProgram = someUserProgram
self.executeOneStatement(self.someProgram)

inval = ''
while not inval == 'q':
inval = sys.stdin.readline().strip()
print "Doing some stuff here"
thread.exit()

def executeOneStatement(self,program):
thread.start_new(program, (self.mutex,))

l = main()

l.mainProgram(someUserProgram)

Stefan Behnel

Justin said:
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish something in python. If
this is the wrong list for such things, I appologize and please disregard the
rest.

No, this is totally the right place.

[...]

Hmm, ok, so you don't want to manually interfere with the partial programs.
What I could think of is some form of code manipulation where you scan the
source code of the function you get passed and add a yield after each statement.

http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/inspect-source.html
http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/module-parser.html

The other methods I've considered for doing this cleanly (subclassing the
debugger, or the interactive interpreter) seem to revolve around sys.settrace
and a callback trace function. I couldn't figure out a way to use this
mechanism to resume the main loop from the trace function, and then also
resume the user program the next time around, without the call stack just
spiraling out of control.

I assume that tracing would be a good solution, though. Maybe someone else can
tell you how to use it better than I could.

You should tell us a bit more about the actual use case, i.e. *why* you need
this. Maybe there's a better solution to the whole problem after all.

Stefan