Line Graph Implementation in various browsers

balakrishnan.dinesh

Hi,
Will any one suggest a way for implementing the line graphs in
various browsers without compatability issues.
I mean canvas can be used in Mozilla FireFox 1.5 for drawing
objects but where as it is not supported in other browers like IE and
Netscape. Similarly IE can use VML for drawing objects where as
Netscape and Mozilla wont.

With Regards
Dinesh

Martin Honnen

Will any one suggest a way for implementing the line graphs in
various browsers without compatability issues.
I mean canvas can be used in Mozilla FireFox 1.5 for drawing
objects but where as it is not supported in other browers like IE and
Netscape. Similarly IE can use VML for drawing objects where as
Netscape and Mozilla wont.

Generally using JavaScript you will be restricted to browsers supporting
canvas and/or SVG and/or VML (unless you want to draw with lots of CSS
positioned HTML elements). Firefox 1.5 and later has canvas and SVG,
that includes other Gecko browsers like SeaMonkey 1.0 or later or Camino
1.0 or later I think. Safari 2.0 has canvas (not sure whether earlier
versions have too). Opera 9 has canvas and SVG. IE has VML.
There are also canvas emulations for IE based on VML I think (e.g.
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>). So canvas currently seems
to be the most common feature to try to use
<http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/chart.html>
(but obviously will not help with Firefox 1.0 or Mozilla 1.7 or other
browsers where you would need to look into plugins (e.g Flash) or a Java
applet).

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]
online.net>, dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:08:24 remote, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Generally using JavaScript you will be restricted to browsers supporting
canvas and/or SVG and/or VML (unless you want to draw with lots of CSS
positioned HTML elements).

Overstated limitation.

One can draw with a large borderless Table filled, at the simplest, with
&nbsp; set to various coloured backgrounds, or filled with images of
line components.

Does Unicode include the PC line-drawing character set or similar, or
the Teletext (UK) set of 64 characters consisting of all combinations of
blank and white in a character cell divided into 2*3, or better?