    With Regards
    Dinesh
    , Sep 1, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Will any one suggest a way for implementing the line graphs in
    > various browsers without compatability issues.
    > I mean canvas can be used in Mozilla FireFox 1.5 for drawing
    > objects but where as it is not supported in other browers like IE and
    > Netscape. Similarly IE can use VML for drawing objects where as
    > Netscape and Mozilla wont.

    Generally using JavaScript you will be restricted to browsers supporting
    canvas and/or SVG and/or VML (unless you want to draw with lots of CSS
    positioned HTML elements). Firefox 1.5 and later has canvas and SVG,
    that includes other Gecko browsers like SeaMonkey 1.0 or later or Camino
    1.0 or later I think. Safari 2.0 has canvas (not sure whether earlier
    versions have too). Opera 9 has canvas and SVG. IE has VML.
    There are also canvas emulations for IE based on VML I think (e.g.
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/excanvas>). So canvas currently seems
    to be the most common feature to try to use
    <http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/chart/chart.html>
    (but obviously will not help with Firefox 1.0 or Mozilla 1.7 or other
    browsers where you would need to look into plugins (e.g Flash) or a Java
    applet).

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Sep 1, 2006

  3. JRS: In article <44f822ba$0$17398$-
    online.net>, dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:08:24 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Martin Honnen <> posted :

    >Generally using JavaScript you will be restricted to browsers supporting
    >canvas and/or SVG and/or VML (unless you want to draw with lots of CSS
    >positioned HTML elements).

    Overstated limitation.

    One can draw with a large borderless Table filled, at the simplest, with
    &nbsp; set to various coloured backgrounds, or filled with images of
    line components.

    Does Unicode include the PC line-drawing character set or similar, or
    the Teletext (UK) set of 64 characters consisting of all combinations of
    blank and white in a character cell divided into 2*3, or better?

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20; Win98. ©
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
    Dr John Stockton, Sep 1, 2006