Line-Height, Radio Buttons and other problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bonnett, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Bonnett

    Bonnett Guest

    I started to remove the tables from my top trumps game
    (http://www.pete-b.co.uk/?page=top_trumps) yesterday, and I'm having
    great difficulty getting the spacing between elements correct. As the
    w3c kindly points out
    (http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_line-height.asp) line-height
    doesn't work with radio buttons in IE, so I've mashed it up by using a
    height for all of the <p> elements in the cards, this hover makes the
    text sometimes look slightly disjoint from the radio button its next
    to.

    What I would like to know is, "Is there a more elegant way to achieve
    what I have with the arrangement of the buttons and the car
    attributes?". At the moment it uses a lot of different percentage
    widths which is not the best, but it works in IE6 and FF1.0 and just
    about in IE5.5 and IE5 (although the left position of the main content
    is dodgy in these two)

    Also, can anyone using Opera or other odd browsers (Safari, Konqueror
    etc.) test the page to see if looks alright and if it plays please?
    --
    Bonnett
    Bonnett, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Bonnett

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On 1 Dec 2004 06:57:13 -0800, Bonnett <> wrote:

    > I started to remove the tables from my top trumps game
    > (http://www.pete-b.co.uk/?page=top_trumps) yesterday, and I'm having
    > great difficulty getting the spacing between elements correct. As the
    > w3c kindly points out
    > (http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_line-height.asp)

    w3schools.com is not a W3C site.

    > line-height
    > doesn't work with radio buttons in IE, so I've mashed it up by using a
    > height for all of the <p> elements in the cards, this hover makes the
    > text sometimes look slightly disjoint from the radio button its next
    > to.

    You also have a problem that there is no connection between the labels and
    the radio buttons. Turn CSS off and you'll see four labels then four
    buttons, then the other four labels, the the other four buttons. A table
    may be more logical markup.

    > Also, can anyone using Opera or other odd browsers (Safari, Konqueror
    > etc.) test the page to see if looks alright and if it plays please?

    Looks okay in Opera 7.54. In IE6 everything drops down the page leaving a
    large gap, unless I have my window maximised.

    If I select 0-60mph then my opponent always has the same card as me.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Bonnett

    Bonnett Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > On 1 Dec 2004 06:57:13 -0800, Bonnett <> wrote:
    >
    > > I started to remove the tables from my top trumps game
    > > (http://www.pete-b.co.uk/?page=top_trumps) yesterday, and I'm

    having
    > > great difficulty getting the spacing between elements correct. As

    the
    > > w3c kindly points out
    > > (http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_dim_line-height.asp)

    > w3schools.com is not a W3C site.

    Sorry, wrong assumption on my behalf there.

    > > line-height
    > > doesn't work with radio buttons in IE, so I've mashed it up by

    using a
    > > height for all of the <p> elements in the cards, this hover makes

    the
    > > text sometimes look slightly disjoint from the radio button its

    next
    > > to.

    > You also have a problem that there is no connection between the

    labels and
    > the radio buttons. Turn CSS off and you'll see four labels then four

    > buttons, then the other four labels, the the other four buttons. A

    table
    > may be more logical markup.

    I was wondering about this, would the list of attributes with radio
    buttons be a semantically correct as a table, it would make it easier
    to design.
    > > Also, can anyone using Opera or other odd browsers (Safari,

    Konqueror
    > > etc.) test the page to see if looks alright and if it plays please?

    > Looks okay in Opera 7.54. In IE6 everything drops down the page

    leaving a
    > large gap, unless I have my window maximised.

    I've noticed this too, I shall look at whether I can reduce the size of
    each card.

    > If I select 0-60mph then my opponent always has the same card as me.
    >
    > Steve

    Sorry, the 0-60 was a slight bug in the programming logic, javascript
    wasn't acting as expected with copied objects, it should be fixed now.
    --
    Bonnett
    Bonnett, Dec 1, 2004