    Dave

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Dave Kelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-01-20, Dave Kelly <> wrote:
    > The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm
    >
    > How do I get the right side to line up neater? This looks awful.

    You can put the whole lot in a <div style="text-align: right">, but then
    the left side won't be lined up right.

    > I have used the width="100%", but I think I am up against the wall that
    > the browser sets the max number of characters that 100% can represent.

    Not quite sure what you mean, but it seems from your page like you want
    to extend the textareas at the end of each line to the end of the line.

    There are several problems with width="100%" on an input.

    First, input has no width attribute in HTML. You could use style="width:
    100%", but that would set the width of the input to 100% the width of
    the container, inevitably putting it on a new line rather than extending
    it to the end of the current line.

    Aligning the inputs by extending them is not easy. There is no way in
    CSS to set the width of an inline-block automatically to the distance
    between where it starts (determined by the text and inlines preceding
    it) and the end of the line.

    The easiest way to get it all to line up is to use a table, as you have
    done a bit further down the page.

    Ben C, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Ogwsh.13547$>,
    Dave Kelly <> wrote:

    > The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm
    >
    > How do I get the right side to line up neater? This looks awful.
    >
    > I have used the width="100%", but I think I am up against the wall that
    > the browser sets the max number of characters that 100% can represent.
    >
    > I also don't have anything but a linux system to view this with. How
    > does it layout in IE? It validated with W3C.

    Is this some form for printing?

    You should really get rid of all the inline styles, all, &nbsp
    and make a clean break between the html and the css.

    Personally, I would forget nearly all the "center" styling and
    even forcing any widths like 100% in general.

    You could lay out in a table, easier to understand and implement.
    Put the set text in a col on left, and input a col on right. The
    magic of tables will do the rest for you. At least it won't look
    such a mess. And you can tweak things with css. For example you
    might want to right align the set text in the cells so they all
    line up neat on the right just before input col. Ragged right
    edge to the page does not matter. it is just that your page is a
    bit higgledy piggledy in other ways.

    These are just some quick remarks and lightly said. If you or
    others don't like them, fine, freedom is a good thing and have a
    nice day.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Jonathan N. Little, Jan 20, 2007
  5. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > How can you have form INPUT elements without a FORM element? Valid are
    > you sure?

    This is all new to me as far as terminology goes. I am not sure what you
    mean but I think this will answer you question. I tend to take
    things like this in stages. For now, I am working on how it will look on
    the screen.

    For Ben and Dorame..........................
    I will work on what ya'll suggest and get back. It may be tomorrow or
    next weekend. I have no deadline on this project.

    Thanks all, for your feedback.
    Dave

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> How can you have form INPUT elements without a FORM element? Valid are
    >> you sure?
    >>

    > This is all new to me as far as terminology goes. I am not sure what you
    > mean but I think this will answer you question. I tend to take things
    > like this in stages. For now, I am working on how it will look on the
    > screen.
    >
    > For Ben and Dorame..........................
    > I will work on what ya'll suggest and get back. It may be tomorrow or
    > next weekend. I have no deadline on this project.

    See:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html

    Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
    be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

    Basic example

    <form action="RequiredReceivingScript.cgi" method="post">
    <fieldset> <!-- some block element P or DIV would also do -->
    <legend>Log In</legend>
    <label for="uid">Your User Name:</label>
    <input name="uid" id="uid" type="text" size="10">
    <label for="pwd">Password:</label>
    <input name="pwd" id="pwd" type="password" size="10">
    <input type="submit" value="Log In">
    </fieldset>
    </form>

    Upon click the submit button the script "RequiredReceivingScript.cgi"
    would receive two name|value pairs for "uid" and "pwd".

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
    > be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

    I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
    that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
    is this all for?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 21, 2007
  8. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
    >> be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

    > I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
    > that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
    > is this all for?

    Well yeah, you can put data in input elements, but without a form
    element to cannot send the data anywhere to do anything useful with it.
    Like a door on a wall with no room on the other side but another wall.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 21, 2007
  9. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
    >> be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

    > I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
    > that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
    > is this all for?

    This is for an online report for when the members of the fishing club I
    belong to want to recommend/ not recommend a fishing guide they hired
    somewhere in the world.

    It is my intention that the finished product will be filled out online
    and read online. Although, some browsers may allow a right click -
    select all - copy to clip board. Where you will be able to print it.

    I did see your question on my first read through, but in my zeal to try
    some of the suggestion, I forgot to answer. Sorry about that.

    I have not tried to create anything to sent the data to the server for
    storage or try to display it. That comes after I get the input screen
    looking right.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    Dave

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Jan 21, 2007
  10. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Like a door on a wall with no room on the other side but another wall.

    I built one of those once. But the most fun I had was building a hidden
    door to a wine cellar that was a full functioning book case. The handle
    was a brass replica of the "Maltese Falcon".

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Jan 21, 2007
  11. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <tCAsh.13629$>,
    Dave Kelly <> wrote:

    > It is my intention that the finished product will be filled out online
    > and read online. Although, some browsers may allow a right click -
    > select all - copy to clip board. Where you will be able to print it.

    Some if not all browsers would allow printing directly. But you
    have a way to go to get to person 1 being able to read online
    what person 2 has said. I assume there is no point in one person
    _merely_ reading on his/her computer screen what they have just
    filled in. Sounds to me you want to collect stuff and make it
    available to others, no? In which case you better listen
    carefully to Jonathan Little and explore a proper form.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 21, 2007
  12. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <eIAsh.13633$>,
    Dave Kelly <> wrote:

    > > Like a door on a wall with no room on the other side but another wall.

    > I built one of those once.

    There is a current TV ad for building insurance, a pitfall being
    comically illustrated by the owners inspecting their rebuilt
    house after some total accident: kid opens door to one of the
    bedrooms and boom, a wall...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 21, 2007