LineUnavailableException when trying to play .wav file

Discussion in 'Java' started by Scott, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I'm trying to play a simple .wav file using code copied from:

    http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/2173111

    I'm running the latest Java 1.6 on windows 98 SE. However I get:

    PCM_SIGNED 22050.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
    javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 22050.
    0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.
    at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL.implOpen(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
    at AudioPlayer02$PlayThread.run(AudioPlayer02.java:146)

    This happens whenever I try to open the line. I get the same problem when I run
    jsinfo.jar (from http://www.jsresources.org/apps/jsinfo.html) - everything is
    fine until I try to open a line.

    WinAmp plays the .wav file without any problems.

    I can even play it using the DirectSound code in:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/dnarsound/html/msdn_streams3.asp?frame=true

    Is this just a problem with windows 98 or is there something I'm over looking?

    Scott, Apr 30, 2007

  2. Scott wrote:
    >I'm trying to play a simple .wav file ..

    What do you mean by 'simple'?

    >..using code copied from:

    >PCM_SIGNED 22050.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
    >javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 22050.
    >0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.

    That message is saying that Java does not support that format.

    >WinAmp plays the .wav file without any problems.

    WinAmp will play almost anything.
    I have MP3's that both WinAmp and the JMStudio
    will play, while I have others that can only be played
    by WinAmp. The same for MIDI files (and I expect,
    WAV files).

    >I can even play it using the DirectSound code in:
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/dnarsound/html/msdn_streams3.asp?frame=true

    That code digs directly into the Windows based
    system - it would not work cross-platform, so
    Java does not work that way.

    >Is this just a problem with windows 98 or is there something I'm over looking?

    Try whis WAV file, which has been seen to be
    'Java compatible'
    <http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/sounds/101_0166.wav>

    The JMF (especially the Performance Pack) will bring
    support for more codecs (types) of more formats, but
    even that only covers a relatively small number of sound
    types.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 30, 2007

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    >> I'm trying to play a simple .wav file ..

    > What do you mean by 'simple'?
    >
    >> ..using code copied from:

    > ..
    >> PCM_SIGNED 22050.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
    >> javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 22050.
    >> 0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.

    > That message is saying that Java does not support that format.
    >
    >> WinAmp plays the .wav file without any problems.

    > WinAmp will play almost anything.
    > I have MP3's that both WinAmp and the JMStudio
    > will play, while I have others that can only be played
    > by WinAmp. The same for MIDI files (and I expect,
    > WAV files).
    >
    >> I can even play it using the DirectSound code in:
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/dnarsound/html/msdn_streams3.asp?frame=true

    > That code digs directly into the Windows based
    > system - it would not work cross-platform, so
    > Java does not work that way.

    If I understand correctly Java is using DirectSound so think I've shown that
    the Windows DirectSound interface is OK.

    >> Is this just a problem with windows 98 or is there something I'm over looking?

    > Try whis WAV file, which has been seen to be
    > 'Java compatible'
    > <http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/sounds/101_0166.wav>

    Same problem:

    PCM_UNSIGNED 16000.0 Hz, 8 bit, mono, 1 bytes/frame,
    javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_UNSIGNED
    16000.0 Hz, 8 bit, mono, 1 bytes/frame, not supported.
    at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL.implOpen(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
    at AudioPlayer02$PlayThread.run(AudioPlayer02.java:146)

    > The JMF (especially the Performance Pack) will bring
    > support for more codecs (types) of more formats, but
    > even that only covers a relatively small number of sound
    > types.

    Thanks for your input, I've just downloaded JMF and I can play .wav files using
    JMStudio but the small test program still has the same problem. I think it
    must be a configuration issue.

    Scott, Apr 30, 2007