LineUnavailableException when trying to play .wav file

Scott

I'm trying to play a simple .wav file using code copied from:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/2173111

I'm running the latest Java 1.6 on windows 98 SE. However I get:

PCM_SIGNED 22050.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 22050.
0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.
at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL.implOpen(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
at AudioPlayer02$PlayThread.run(AudioPlayer02.java:146)

This happens whenever I try to open the line. I get the same problem when I run
jsinfo.jar (from http://www.jsresources.org/apps/jsinfo.html) - everything is
fine until I try to open a line.

WinAmp plays the .wav file without any problems.

I can even play it using the DirectSound code in:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/dnarsound/html/msdn_streams3.asp?frame=true

Is this just a problem with windows 98 or is there something I'm over looking?

Andrew Thompson

Scott said:
I'm trying to play a simple .wav file ..

What do you mean by 'simple'?
..using code copied from: ...
PCM_SIGNED 22050.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_SIGNED 22050.
0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian not supported.

That message is saying that Java does not support that format.
WinAmp plays the .wav file without any problems.

WinAmp will play almost anything.
I have MP3's that both WinAmp and the JMStudio
will play, while I have others that can only be played
by WinAmp. The same for MIDI files (and I expect,
WAV files).

That code digs directly into the Windows based
system - it would not work cross-platform, so
Java does not work that way.
Is this just a problem with windows 98 or is there something I'm over looking?

Try whis WAV file, which has been seen to be
'Java compatible'
<http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/sounds/101_0166.wav>

The JMF (especially the Performance Pack) will bring
support for more codecs (types) of more formats, but
even that only covers a relatively small number of sound
types.

Scott

Andrew said:
What do you mean by 'simple'?

That message is saying that Java does not support that format.

WinAmp will play almost anything.
I have MP3's that both WinAmp and the JMStudio
will play, while I have others that can only be played
by WinAmp. The same for MIDI files (and I expect,
WAV files).

That code digs directly into the Windows based
system - it would not work cross-platform, so
Java does not work that way.

If I understand correctly Java is using DirectSound so think I've shown that
the Windows DirectSound interface is OK.
Try whis WAV file, which has been seen to be
'Java compatible'
<http://www.physci.org/test/oscilloscope/sounds/101_0166.wav>

Same problem:

PCM_UNSIGNED 16000.0 Hz, 8 bit, mono, 1 bytes/frame,
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: line with format PCM_UNSIGNED
16000.0 Hz, 8 bit, mono, 1 bytes/frame, not supported.
at com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDevice$DirectDL.implOpen(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractDataLine.open(Unknown Source)
at AudioPlayer02$PlayThread.run(AudioPlayer02.java:146)

The JMF (especially the Performance Pack) will bring
support for more codecs (types) of more formats, but
even that only covers a relatively small number of sound
types.

Thanks for your input, I've just downloaded JMF and I can play .wav files using
JMStudio but the small test program still has the same problem. I think it
must be a configuration issue.