    Peter

    turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

    Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html
    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004

  2. I should add that this problem exists in IE6. I get the reverse
    problem in Mozilla -- again, external references are fine but with
    Mozilla, the colour always stays at the LINK setting and VLINK never
    appears. In both cases, ALINK works fine.

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Peter Charles

    PeterMcC Guest

    Peter Charles wrote in
    <>

    > I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    > that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
    > same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
    > not so the internal references.
    >
    > The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
    > a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
    > the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
    > never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
    > colour will never appear again on that computer.

    Isn't that what they're supposed to do, unless the history is cleared?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Peter Charles

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

    > I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    > that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the same
    > page. The colours of the external references work fine, however, not so
    > the internal references.

    I assume you've done this in the correct cascade order? (link, visited,
    active, hover).

    > The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use a
    > computer for the first time, access a page with internal references, the
    > colours for LINK are displayed properly.

    With you so far. Sounds about right.

    > Once I use that link, it never displays the LINK colour again, only the
    > VLINK colour. The LINK colour will never appear again on that computer.

    This is normal behaviour. Once a link has been visited it is supposed to
    show the a:visited colour and not the a:link colour. This will continue
    to be the case until the visitor clears their history, or the history
    entry for that link expires according to the browser settings.

    > I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
    > returns to its proper colour.

    It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
    know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
    their browser.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    'I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me.' -- A A Milne
    Dylan Parry, Aug 15, 2004
  5. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:59:49 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
    >> returns to its proper colour.

    >It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
    >know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
    >their browser.

    OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
    have liked the external references and internal references to behave
    the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
    internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
    behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
    return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  6. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:51:35 +0100, "PeterMcC" <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Charles wrote in
    ><>
    >
    >> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    >> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
    >> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
    >> not so the internal references.
    >>
    >> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
    >> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
    >> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
    >> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
    >> colour will never appear again on that computer.

    >Isn't that what they're supposed to do, unless the history is cleared?

    I should have made it clearer that the external references behave
    properly, the internal ones do not. I would like the internal
    references to behave like the external ones.

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Peter Charles

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

    > OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
    > have liked the external references and internal references to behave
    > the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
    > internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
    > behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
    > return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

    I knew what you meant, but it doesn't change anything - it's still normal
    browser behaviour. The reason why you are seeing this behaviour is because
    the fragment (bit after the #) is not part of the URL and so #marker1 and
    #marker2 are not considered distinct history entries if part of the same
    page.

    This means that if you visited example.com/index.html#marker1 then
    all the other anchors on the page that referenced other markers on the
    page would also be shown as visited. This is because in essence you have
    only visited the one page, index.html, and all those other links also
    point to index.html - the fragment makes no difference whatsoever.

    Dylan Parry, Aug 15, 2004
  8. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:59:49 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
    >
    >> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    >> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the same
    >> page. The colours of the external references work fine, however, not so
    >> the internal references.

    >I assume you've done this in the correct cascade order? (link, visited,
    >active, hover).
    >
    >> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use a
    >> computer for the first time, access a page with internal references, the
    >> colours for LINK are displayed properly.

    >With you so far. Sounds about right.
    >
    >> Once I use that link, it never displays the LINK colour again, only the
    >> VLINK colour. The LINK colour will never appear again on that computer.

    >This is normal behaviour. Once a link has been visited it is supposed to
    >show the a:visited colour and not the a:link colour. This will continue
    >to be the case until the visitor clears their history, or the history
    >entry for that link expires according to the browser settings.
    >
    >> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
    >> returns to its proper colour.

    >It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
    >know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
    >their browser.

    I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
    correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory :) -- it retains
    the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
    return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
    expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
    return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
    generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
    is more of a problem.

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  9. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:19:07 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
    >
    >> OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
    >> have liked the external references and internal references to behave
    >> the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
    >> internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
    >> behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
    >> return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

    >I knew what you meant, but it doesn't change anything - it's still normal
    >browser behaviour. The reason why you are seeing this behaviour is because
    >the fragment (bit after the #) is not part of the URL and so #marker1 and
    >#marker2 are not considered distinct history entries if part of the same
    >page.
    >
    >This means that if you visited example.com/index.html#marker1 then
    >all the other anchors on the page that referenced other markers on the
    >page would also be shown as visited. This is because in essence you have
    >only visited the one page, index.html, and all those other links also
    >point to index.html - the fragment makes no difference whatsoever.

    OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
    just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
    it.

    Thanks

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Peter Charles

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

    > OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
    > just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
    > it.

    No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
    exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers treat
    it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good idea if
    browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but whether
    others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely :)

    Dylan Parry, Aug 15, 2004
  11. Peter Charles

    Spartanicus Guest

    Peter Charles <> wrote:

    >I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
    >correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory :) -- it retains
    >the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
    >return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
    >expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
    >return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
    >generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
    >is more of a problem.

    Opera behaves properly with regard to marking internal links visited.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 15, 2004
  12. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:55:30 +0100, Spartanicus <>
    wrote:

    >Peter Charles <> wrote:
    >
    >>I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
    >>correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory :) -- it retains
    >>the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
    >>return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
    >>expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
    >>return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
    >>generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
    >>is more of a problem.

    >Opera behaves properly with regard to marking internal links visited.

    When I made my first post, I was under the impresion that it had been
    some sort of error or ommission on my part but it turns out to be one
    of those irritating browser dependent issues that we can do little
    about.

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  13. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:26:13 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
    >
    >> OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
    >> just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
    >> it.

    >No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
    >exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers treat
    >it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good idea if
    >browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but whether
    >others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely :)

    You'll have my vote. :)

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Peter Charles

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
    <> writing in

    > No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
    > exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers
    > treat it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good
    > idea if browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but
    > whether others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely :)

    I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
    the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
    questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
    sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
    the other questions first.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Adrienne, Aug 15, 2004
  15. Peter Charles

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "Peter Charles" <> wrote in message
    > I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    > that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
    > same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
    > not so the internal references.
    >
    > The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
    > a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
    > the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
    > never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
    > colour will never appear again on that computer.
    >
    > I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
    > returns to its proper colour.

    Couldn't you just set the a:visited attributes to the same as your link
    attributes so that it doesn't change at all?
    Dan Abrey, Aug 15, 2004
  16. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:28:18 +0100, "Dan Abrey" <>
    wrote:

    >"Peter Charles" <> wrote in message
    >> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
    >> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
    >> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
    >> not so the internal references.
    >>
    >> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
    >> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
    >> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
    >> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
    >> colour will never appear again on that computer.
    >>
    >> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
    >> returns to its proper colour.

    >Couldn't you just set the a:visited attributes to the same as your link
    >attributes so that it doesn't change at all?

    Yes I could, but I see that as a work-around, not a solution. Judging
    by the other replies, I intend to leave it as-is and let the various
    browsers do with it as they will. If I was God of the Browsers, I'd
    mandate a solution but that ain't gonna happen so . . . .

    Peter Charles, Aug 15, 2004
  17. Peter Charles

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:26:52 GMT, Adrienne <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
    > the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
    > questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
    > sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
    > the other questions first.

    In a situation like that, you haven't actually followed the links, but
    you _have_ read the questions. Would you still expect the browser to
    mark them as visited, or not?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 15, 2004
  18. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:26:52 GMT, Adrienne <>
    wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Dylan Parry
    ><> writing in
    >
    >> No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
    >> exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers
    >> treat it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good
    >> idea if browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but
    >> whether others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely :)
    >>

    >I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome in
    >the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as the
    >questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same page, as
    >sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having to go back to
    >the other questions first.

    I can never decide what the "correct" behavior ought to be. What I
    really want is for the browser to read my mind and mark internal links
    links as unvisited when I want them to be and visited when it's more
    useful to be.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
    Nick Theodorakis, Aug 16, 2004
  19. Peter Charles

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell
    <> writing in

    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:26:52 GMT, Adrienne <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> I absolutely agree with you. This behaivor is especially troublesome
    >> in the case of a FAQ page, where the answers are on the same page as
    >> the questions. I prefer the questions and answers all on the same
    >> page, as sometimes, I like to check out other answers without having
    >> to go back to the other questions first.

    > In a situation like that, you haven't actually followed the links, but
    > you _have_ read the questions. Would you still expect the browser to
    > mark them as visited, or not?

    No, but once I have returned to the top of the document, I would at least
    like to have a vague idea of where I was. If only one of the links is
    marked visited, I have an idea of where I was. If all of them are, then
    its hit and miss again.

    For IE, say there are 20 questions and 20 answers. Once you click on a
    link, and refresh or go to another URL, and come back, all the links are
    visited. This does not happen in Opera, or Mozilla. I set up some test
    documents at http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/usenet/vlink.asp

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 16, 2004
  20. Peter Charles

    Spartanicus Guest

    Adrienne <> wrote:

    >For IE, say there are 20 questions and 20 answers. Once you click on a
    >link, and refresh or go to another URL, and come back, all the links are
    >visited. This does not happen in Opera, or Mozilla. I set up some test
    >documents at http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/usenet/vlink.asp

    Mozilla doesn't handle this properly though:
    http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie/guides/extended_maintenance_schedule_km.htm
    Click one of the "kilometer reading" links. Only Opera handles this
    correctly.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 16, 2004