    work very well.

    Thanks,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Fred Atkinson <> put to writing:

    > I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    > like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
    >
    > To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    > would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    > aren't good any more?

    If it is online, try http://validator.w3.org/checklink and it may take a
    while.

    --
    Stuart J. Shillinglaw
    http://shillinglaw.atspace.com/

    Stuart J. Shillinglaw, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Fred Atkinson

    Els Guest

    Fred Atkinson wrote:

    > I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    > like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
    >
    > To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    > would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    > aren't good any more?
    >
    > I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
    > work very well.

    I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 9, 2005
  4. >> I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd

    Another alternative would be http://www.anybrowser.com/linkchecker.html.

    Stuart J. Shillinglaw, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Fred Atkinson wrote:
    > I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    > like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

    > To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    > would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    > aren't good any more?

    > I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
    > work very well.

    It always worked fine for me; what's it not doing for you?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Fred Atkinson

    PeterL Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Fred Atkinson wrote:
    >> I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    >> like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

    >> To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    >> would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    >> aren't good any more?

    >> I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
    >> work very well.

    > It always worked fine for me; what's it not doing for you?

    I find it a great wee program just used it this evening!! No problems.

    PeterL
    Website http://leach01.co.uk
    Banopticon 2005 http://drwhoni.co.uk
    Masonic http://tl169.co.uk
    Jordanstown Schools http://jord.org.uk
    RMS Majestic History http://rmsmajestic.co.uk

    PeterL, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Fred Atkinson

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Els <> wrote in news:yjhks6df8xq2
    $:

    > Fred Atkinson wrote:
    >> I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
    >> work very well.

    > I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

    Xenu works wonderfully here. I only found it a couple of weeks ago and
    am now slowly but surely fixing all the problems it finds on
    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/. I'm sending out several emails a day to area
    authors, plus I'm getting many of the pages that I manage fixed up. I
    like it/use it so much, I think I'll send the author a few bucks.
    Great program!

    Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
    '94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

    Uncle Pirate, Jun 10, 2005
  8. Blinky the Shark <> put to writing:

    > Fred Atkinson wrote:
    >> I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    >> like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

    >> To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    >> would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    >> aren't good any more?

    >> I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
    >> work very well.

    > It always worked fine for me; what's it not doing for you?

    It works okay for most links, although it shows link queries as being
    forbidden because they to not have permission to access the asp.

    Stuart J. Shillinglaw, Jun 10, 2005
  9. On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:50:07 +0200, Els <> wrote:

    >I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

    Well,

    It doesn't seem to check anything except what I checked on the
    page when I originally ran it. I am constantly adding links to the
    page in qestion. Those don't seem to be checked.

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Fred Atkinson

    Els Guest

    Fred Atkinson wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:50:07 +0200, Els <> wrote:
    >
    >>I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

    > It doesn't seem to check anything except what I checked on the
    > page when I originally ran it. I am constantly adding links to the
    > page in qestion. Those don't seem to be checked.

    I actually run it on the online version of my site, and it picks up
    all the links - haven't tried it in a local directory.

    Does it recognize the change in a link if you would change an existing
    link?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 10, 2005
  11. On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:49:47 GMT, "Stuart J. Shillinglaw"
    <> wrote:

    >Fred Atkinson <> put to writing:
    >
    >> I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    >> like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
    >>
    >> To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    >> would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    >> aren't good any more?

    >If it is online, try http://validator.w3.org/checklink and it may take a
    >while.

    I tried that one. It runs for a while but it never shows me
    any broken links. And I used a page that I *know* has broken links on
    it.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Fred Atkinson <> put to writing:

    I know I am having problems with the link checker at w3.org myself, what
    about http://www.anybrowser.com/linkchecker.html?

    Stuart J. Shillinglaw, Jun 10, 2005
  13. On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:19:05 GMT, Fred Atkinson
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:49:47 GMT, "Stuart J. Shillinglaw"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Fred Atkinson <> put to writing:
    >>
    >>> I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    >>> like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
    >>>
    >>> To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    >>> would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    >>> aren't good any more?

    >>If it is online, try http://validator.w3.org/checklink and it may take a
    >>while.

    > I tried that one. It runs for a while but it never shows me
    >any broken links. And I used a page that I *know* has broken links on
    >it.
    >

    > Fred

    I think that what the problem is is that the browser is timing
    out. I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.

    Any way to fix this?

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jun 10, 2005
  14. Fred Atkinson <> put to writing:

    >>>If it is online, try http://validator.w3.org/checklink and it may
    >>>take a while.

    >> I tried that one. It runs for a while but it never shows me
    >>any broken links. And I used a page that I *know* has broken links on
    >>it.

    > I think that what the problem is is that the browser is timing
    > out. I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.
    >
    > Any way to fix this?

    It must be on their side, and all you can do is contact them.

    Stuart J. Shillinglaw, Jun 10, 2005
  15. Fred Atkinson

    data64 Guest

    Fred Atkinson <> wrote in

    > I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
    > like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
    >
    > To that end, does someone know of a software package that
    > would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
    > aren't good any more?

    I use a perl script to do this.
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col07.html

    data64