Link Checker

Fred Atkinson

I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

To that end, does someone know of a software package that
would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
aren't good any more?

I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
work very well.

Thanks,

Fred

Stuart J. Shillinglaw

Fred Atkinson said:
I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

To that end, does someone know of a software package that
would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
aren't good any more?

If it is online, try http://validator.w3.org/checklink and it may take a
while.

Els

Fred said:
I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.

To that end, does someone know of a software package that
would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
aren't good any more?

I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
work very well.

I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

Blinky the Shark

Fred said:
I have a Web page with an enormous number of links on it. I'd
like to get a head's up when one of those links aren't good any more.
To that end, does someone know of a software package that
would check the links on a page and give me a list of the links that
aren't good any more?
I've been using a package called Xenu, but it doesn't seem to
work very well.

It always worked fine for me; what's it not doing for you?

Uncle Pirate

I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

Xenu works wonderfully here. I only found it a couple of weeks ago and
am now slowly but surely fixing all the problems it finds on
http://alamo.nmsu.edu/. I'm sending out several emails a day to area
authors, plus I'm getting many of the pages that I manage fixed up. I
like it/use it so much, I think I'll send the author a few bucks.
Great program!

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Stuart J. Shillinglaw

Blinky the Shark said:
It always worked fine for me; what's it not doing for you?

It works okay for most links, although it shows link queries as being
forbidden because they to not have permission to access the asp.

Fred Atkinson

I find Xenu works perfectly - what is it that doesn't work for you?

Well,

It doesn't seem to check anything except what I checked on the
page when I originally ran it. I am constantly adding links to the
page in qestion. Those don't seem to be checked.

Regards,

Fred

Els

Fred said:
It doesn't seem to check anything except what I checked on the
page when I originally ran it. I am constantly adding links to the
page in qestion. Those don't seem to be checked.

I actually run it on the online version of my site, and it picks up
all the links - haven't tried it in a local directory.

Does it recognize the change in a link if you would change an existing
link?

Fred Atkinson

I tried that one. It runs for a while but it never shows me
any broken links. And I used a page that I *know* has broken links on
it.

Fred

I think that what the problem is is that the browser is timing
out. I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.

Any way to fix this?

Fred

Stuart J. Shillinglaw

Fred Atkinson said:
I think that what the problem is is that the browser is timing
out. I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.

Any way to fix this?

It must be on their side, and all you can do is contact them.