link color(s) in menu with submenu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by chlori, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. chlori

    chlori Guest

    Hi

    I am planning to design a website with a menu like this
    (Javascript enabled):

    Homelink
    Anotherlink
    Category 01
    Category 02
    Category 03

    - If I click on Homelink the page index.php opens.
    - If I click on Anotherlink I get to another page (another.php).
    - But if I click on one of the category links (eg Category
    01), then the submenu opens, like this:

    Anotherlink
    Category 01
    Page 01
    Page 02
    Page 03
    Category 02
    Category 03

    So every word can be clicked. It either shows/hides the
    submenu or opens another page.

    - Is it confusing if the text color (or decoration etc.)
    looks the same for all links ("open-page-link" and
    "show/hide-submenu-link")? Does the average user expect to
    open a new page after clicking on a link?
    - Any ideas how to show the difference between
    "open-page-link" and "show-submenu-link"?
    - Can you give me examples of sites where something similar
    has been done with success?
    - Am I trying it the wrong way?

    BTW, this is the version for users without javascript support:

    Anotherlink
    Category 01
    Page 01
    Page 02
    Page 03
    Category 02
    Page 04
    Page 05
    Page 06
    Category 03
    Page 07
    Page 08
    Page 09

    I can't provide an URL yet, sorry.

    Thanks for your help!

    chlori

    chlori, Mar 2, 2004

  2. chlori schrieb:

    > - Is it confusing if the text color (or decoration etc.) looks the same
    > for all links ("open-page-link" and "show/hide-submenu-link")?

    no I don't think it's confusing. Users might be used to this behaviour
    by the daily use of the Windows Explorer, but you might considering
    showing some sort of + for a node to open and . for menu items with no
    conected sub-menu branches.

    Does the
    > average user expect to open a new page after clicking on a link?

    not necessarily. If you communicated to the user, that something
    different will happen...

    > - Any ideas how to show the difference between "open-page-link" and
    > "show-submenu-link"?

    + icon for show-submenu
    .. for open-page

    > - Can you give me examples of sites where something similar has been
    > done with success?

    www.ed.gov
    and if you want the expandable menu:
    http://www.gazingus.org/html/menuExpandable3.html

    > - Am I trying it the wrong way?

    no, you can follow this path :)

    bernhard
    ---
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 2, 2004

  3. chlori wrote:

    > So every word can be clicked. It either shows/hides the
    > submenu or opens another page.

    Here is a nice example of something like that:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/menu

    Tested in IE6, Konqueror 3.1, Moz 1.4 and Opera 7. Degrades nicely without
    Javascript. Is fine without Javascript and CSS, though it looks a bit
    strange if you have Javascript but no CSS.

    Exercise for the reader: get the rollovers to work in IE6. Get things
    working in IE5 (mac and/or win). Neither of these tasks are exactly rocket
    science.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 3, 2004