Link directly to MS Word document

R. van Lieshout

Who can help me? I want to create a link(href) which opens an .doc or an
..xls directly in MS Word or MS Excell and not in IE so that I don't have to
save the document first en open it from Explorer.

I asked our webmaster at the office but he didn't know the answer so I hope
you can help me.

Greetz

Roy

David Dorward

R. van Lieshout said:
Who can help me? I want to create a link(href) which opens an .doc or an
.xls

directly in MS Word or MS Excell and not in IE so that I don't have
to save the document first en open it from Explorer.

Some systems are configured to open Office documents in versions of the
application embedded in the browser window. This is a user configuration
setting, which I don't believe can be overridden by the webserver.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

R. van Lieshout said:
Who can help me?

I'm wondering how many times, and in how many groups, and under how
many names, you are going to post this question...

Edwin van der Vaart

Beauregard said:
I'm wondering how many times, and in how many groups, and under how many
names, you are going to post this question...
4x, 3, same.

Edwin van der Vaart

Beauregard said:
I'm wondering how many times, and in how many groups, and under how many
names, you are going to post this question...
4x, 3, same.

Harlan Messinger

R. van Lieshout said:
Who can help me? I want to create a link(href) which opens an .doc or an
.xls directly in MS Word or MS Excell and not in IE so that I don't have to
save the document first en open it from Explorer.

When I open a Word document in IE, Word's usual menu items are added to
the menu bar. You'll also see a little Tools button appear in the IE
toolbar--it looks like a little hammer and a little spanner (wrench)
lying on top of a window icon. Click that, and the usual Word toolbars,
with all the formatting buttons, will appear. In other words, I already
have full editing capabilities, without having to save the document
first and then reopen it in Word.

R. van Lieshout

Thanks for your reaction. What I want to create is a sort of startpage with
directlinks to al kind of spreadsheets, contracts etc for at my office. I
want my colleagues to click on a link and have the contract directly be
opened en be able to overwrite and save as.

'en' is the same as 'and'but than in Dutch. It is a long time ago I wrote
English so I probably make a few ore a lot mistakes. sorry.

Thanks for your help

Roy

dorayme

From: "R. van Lieshout said:
I want to create a link(href) which opens an .doc or an
.xls directly in MS Word or MS Excell and not in IE so that I don't have to
save the document first en open it from Explorer.

To create a link to a doc, just <a href="doc.doc">doc</a> will do it.
What happens at the browser end is not under your control. As it
happens, such opens via my browsers by triggering Word to open and
displaying the doc. Some browsers might just save it to disk. There may be
other settings to do other things like open the doc within the browser
but it is not anything you can control.

What is the meaning of your reason? You are the web page creator? So
why do you care how you open or save it? What does "en" mean?

It is often easier to make such a link than to prepare a complicated
doc for webpage presentation, I have done it myself where I know most
of the audience have the means to open and read the doc. In some cases
I do this because the person who is paying me would likely not
appreciate paying hundreds of dollars when he can pay just a few
dollars... and still present stuff to his audience.

dorayme