Link from irrelevant external page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Athel Cornish-Bowden, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. I was looking at our statistics (compiled by an external service called
    awstats) and was surprised to notice that a high proportion of pages
    under the heading Liens depuis une page externe (autres sites, hors
    moteurs) (i.e. Links from an external page (other sites, other than
    search engines)) come from a site that has absolutely no connection
    with or relevance to our server. It's a porn site, and as I'm not in
    the business of publicizing porn sites I won't give the URL unless it's
    absolutely necessary to resolve my query. What is puzzling me is that
    there is absolutely nothing in the source code that looks like a link,
    whether to our site or anywhere else other than to another page on the
    same site. The code is very short, only a few lines, so one can read
    the whole of it without fear of missing something. It contains no Flash
    or Javascript, and refers to no hidden include files. Amazingly (for a
    porn site), it has a valid doctype and is written in valid XHTML
    (albeit including the unimaginative line <title>Untitled
    Document</title>). I've seen other sites that seem to do the same, i.e.
    appear in the statistics listings for no obvious reasons, but these
    usually have code that is too long to go through, and involve different
    sorts of javascript tricks, so I can't be sure whether they've got
    links somewhere that I've missed.

    How does one explain this? Is it likely to be a fault in the program
    that compiles the statistics (which I can't check as it's on another
    site and the code isn't available), or do managers of porn sites have
    cunning ways of inserting unwanted information into statistics? Or what?
    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Oct 28, 2007

  2. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:59:33 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
    > I was looking at our statistics (compiled by an external service called
    > awstats) and was surprised to notice that a high proportion of pages
    > under the heading Liens depuis une page externe (autres sites, hors
    > moteurs) (i.e. Links from an external page (other sites, other than
    > search engines)) come from a site that has absolutely no connection
    > with or relevance to our server. It's a porn site, and as I'm not in
    > the business of publicizing porn sites I won't give the URL unless it's
    > absolutely necessary to resolve my query. What is puzzling me is that
    > there is absolutely nothing in the source code that looks like a link,
    > whether to our site or anywhere else other than to another page on the
    > same site. [...]

    This sounds like standard referrer log spam. See the Wikipedia article for
    an overview:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer_spam

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)

    The 'white-space' Property In CSS:
    http://www.safalra.com/web-design/css/white-space-property/

    Safalra (Stephen Morley), Oct 28, 2007

  3. Athel Cornish-Bowden

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:59:33 GMT
    Athel Cornish-Bowden scribed:

    > I was looking at our statistics (compiled by an external service called
    > awstats) and was surprised to notice that a high proportion of pages
    > under the heading Liens depuis une page externe (autres sites, hors
    > moteurs) (i.e. Links from an external page (other sites, other than
    > search engines)) come from a site that has absolutely no connection
    > with or relevance to our server. It's a porn site, and as I'm not in
    > the business of publicizing porn sites I won't give the URL unless it's
    > absolutely necessary to resolve my query. What is puzzling me is that
    > there is absolutely nothing in the source code that looks like a link,
    > whether to our site or anywhere else other than to another page on the
    > same site. The code is very short, only a few lines, so one can read
    > the whole of it without fear of missing something. It contains no Flash
    > or Javascript, and refers to no hidden include files. Amazingly (for a
    > porn site), it has a valid doctype and is written in valid XHTML
    > (albeit including the unimaginative line <title>Untitled
    > Document</title>). I've seen other sites that seem to do the same, i.e.
    > appear in the statistics listings for no obvious reasons, but these
    > usually have code that is too long to go through, and involve different
    > sorts of javascript tricks, so I can't be sure whether they've got
    > links somewhere that I've missed.
    >
    > How does one explain this? Is it likely to be a fault in the program
    > that compiles the statistics (which I can't check as it's on another
    > site and the code isn't available), or do managers of porn sites have
    > cunning ways of inserting unwanted information into statistics? Or what?

    I'm not sure how the stat-service does its thing, but maybe the "other
    page" has a j/s location.replace() to, erroneously or not, your page.
    (Location.replace removes the current page from the history. Whether this
    affects referrals, I dunno.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.

    Neredbojias, Oct 28, 2007
  4. On 2007-10-28 17:03:21 +0100, "Safalra (Stephen Morley)"
    <> said:

    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:59:33 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
    >> I was looking at our statistics (compiled by an external service called
    >> awstats) and was surprised to notice that a high proportion of pages
    >> under the heading Liens depuis une page externe (autres sites, hors
    >> moteurs) (i.e. Links from an external page (other sites, other than
    >> search engines)) come from a site that has absolutely no connection
    >> with or relevance to our server. It's a porn site, and as I'm not in
    >> the business of publicizing porn sites I won't give the URL unless it's
    >> absolutely necessary to resolve my query. What is puzzling me is that
    >> there is absolutely nothing in the source code that looks like a link,
    >> whether to our site or anywhere else other than to another page on the
    >> same site. [...]

    > This sounds like standard referrer log spam. See the Wikipedia article for
    > an overview:
    >

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer_spam

    Yes, from the description given there it does appear that that is what
    they're doing.
    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Oct 28, 2007