Link functions and search engines.

Simon Wigzell

I generate my webpages from a database. A good many of my links are popup
links. For convenience I am using a javascript function to pop up the window
e.g.

popInternalWindow("Home");

popInternalWindow(pagename)
{
popupString = "<%=session("DomainName")%>" = "/" + pagename + ".htm";
pagename = window.open(popupString,pagename,'[parameters]');
}

There is nothing in my code for a search engine to follow and naturally I
would like the search engines to index the entire site. If I was to have a
table with visibility turned off containing all of my lings as regular links
e.g.

..
..
..

would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
non-visible html?
If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a function
for the popups?

David Dorward

Simon Wigzell wrote:

would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
non-visible html?

No, no and its not HTML.

To follow window.open functions the bot would have to be designed so it can
process JavaScript. It isn't designed to do so. It isn't designed to ignore
it either, it just can't cope.
If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a function
for the popups?

Use a sane function for popups[1]
* http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24
* http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window

[1] Better yet - don't use popups, they are almost always a bad design
decision

Simon Wigzell

David Dorward said:
Simon Wigzell wrote:

would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
non-visible html?

No, no and its not HTML.

To follow window.open functions the bot would have to be designed so it can
process JavaScript. It isn't designed to do so. It isn't designed to ignore
it either, it just can't cope.
If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a function
for the popups?

Use a sane function for popups[1]
* http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24
* http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window

[1] Better yet - don't use popups, they are almost always a bad design
decision

Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
popup links!

David Dorward

Simon said:
Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
popup links!

What? Oh. <Rereads.> Ah.

Maybe. Maybe not. They might consider it spamming.

Either way - not using broken JavaScript in the first place will fix the
problem for any user agent which can't handle JavaScript (You know that
about half a dozen security flaws were found in the scripting engine in
MSIE last week and that its been recomended that IE users keep scripting
turned off until they are patched?
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34186.html>)

David Dorward

Simon said:
Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
popup links!

What? Oh. <Rereads.> Ah. You fooled by asking a SEO/CSS question in c.l.j :)

Maybe. Maybe not. They might consider it spamming.

Either way - not using broken JavaScript in the first place will fix the
problem for any user agent which can't handle JavaScript (You know that
about half a dozen security flaws were found in the scripting engine in
MSIE last week and that its been recomended that IE users keep scripting
turned off until they are patched?
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34186.html>), its recomended not to
use JavaScript in a way which can't degrade gracefully.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <uRoAb.577883$6C4.133087@pd7tw1no>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
non-visible html?

If those are in fact real, visible, pages, then you can link to them all
from a new page not intended for humans to see, and link to that page
from a well-known page in an inconspicuous manner that robots will
follow.

Otherwise, will the engines be able to get a meaningful index entry to
display?