Link functions and search engines.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Simon Wigzell, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. I generate my webpages from a database. A good many of my links are popup
    links. For convenience I am using a javascript function to pop up the window
    e.g.

    popInternalWindow("Home");

    popInternalWindow(pagename)
    {
    popupString = "<%=session("DomainName")%>" = "/" + pagename + ".htm";
    pagename = window.open(popupString,pagename,'[parameters]');
    }

    There is nothing in my code for a search engine to follow and naturally I
    would like the search engines to index the entire site. If I was to have a
    table with visibility turned off containing all of my lings as regular links
    e.g.

    ..
    ..
    ..

    would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
    non-visible html?
    If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a function
    for the popups?
    Simon Wigzell, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Simon Wigzell wrote:

    <snip ugly popup code>

    > would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
    > non-visible html?

    No, no and its not HTML.

    To follow window.open functions the bot would have to be designed so it can
    process JavaScript. It isn't designed to do so. It isn't designed to ignore
    it either, it just can't cope.

    > If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a function
    > for the popups?

    Use a sane function for popups[1]
    * http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24
    * http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window

    [1] Better yet - don't use popups, they are almost always a bad design
    decision

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 6, 2003

  3. "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > Simon Wigzell wrote:
    >
    > <snip ugly popup code>
    >
    > > would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
    > > non-visible html?

    > No, no and its not HTML.
    >
    > To follow window.open functions the bot would have to be designed so it

    can
    > process JavaScript. It isn't designed to do so. It isn't designed to

    ignore
    > it either, it just can't cope.
    >
    > > If not, is there any other way of doing it other than not using a

    function
    > > for the popups?

    > Use a sane function for popups[1]
    > * http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24
    > * http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window
    >
    > [1] Better yet - don't use popups, they are almost always a bad design
    > decision
    >
    > --
    > David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
    inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
    popup links!
    Simon Wigzell, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Simon Wigzell wrote:

    > Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
    > inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
    > popup links!

    What? Oh. <Rereads.> Ah.

    Maybe. Maybe not. They might consider it spamming.

    Either way - not using broken JavaScript in the first place will fix the
    problem for any user agent which can't handle JavaScript (You know that
    about half a dozen security flaws were found in the scripting engine in
    MSIE last week and that its been recomended that IE users keep scripting
    turned off until they are patched?
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34186.html>)

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Simon Wigzell wrote:

    > Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
    > inside a table with "visible = hidden", I wasn't asking your opinion about
    > popup links!

    What? Oh. <Rereads.> Ah. You fooled by asking a SEO/CSS question in c.l.j :)

    Maybe. Maybe not. They might consider it spamming.

    Either way - not using broken JavaScript in the first place will fix the
    problem for any user agent which can't handle JavaScript (You know that
    about half a dozen security flaws were found in the scripting engine in
    MSIE last week and that its been recomended that IE users keep scripting
    turned off until they are patched?
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/34186.html>), its recomended not to
    use JavaScript in a way which can't degrade gracefully.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 7, 2003
  6. JRS: In article <uRoAb.577883$6C4.133087@pd7tw1no>, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Simon Wigzell <> posted
    at Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:03:06 :-

    > would the search engines follow those or are they designed to ignore
    >non-visible html?

    If those are in fact real, visible, pages, then you can link to them all
    from a new page not intended for humans to see, and link to that page
    from a well-known page in an inconspicuous manner that robots will
    follow.

    Otherwise, will the engines be able to get a meaningful index entry to
    display?

    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> JS maths, dates, sources.
    Dr John Stockton, Dec 7, 2003

    You may want to read http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    > Thanks, but my question was about whether search engines would find links
    > inside a table with "visible = hidden",

    The Magic Eight Ball says: Unlikely.

    > I wasn't asking your opinion about popup links!

    This is a discussion group, (paid) support forums are elsewhere.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 8, 2003