link invitation question

dorayme

Anyone know anything about Dirpedia?

A company that I do a website for has been "invited" to submit a
a form via
http://www.dirpedia.com/urls.cgi?dom=http://www.companyName.com/
and I am wondering if this is advisable or not. Are they genuine,
any bad catches?

They say in an email: "We are sending you this invitation to
submit your site to www.dirpedia.com. Dirpedia is a web-directory
+ wikipedia crossbreed. Your link will appear alongside the
wikipedia articles for your main keywords" and

"Thank you

All the best,
Bogdan Messer

p.s. We are just an open project, not affiliated with
Wikipedia.org. The Wikipedia mark belongs to Wikipedia.org."

Jose

Anyone know anything about Dirpedia?

No, but I got a similar invitation. It appears to be a bot sending the
stuff out (nobody who reads my website would pick the keywords that
dirpedia did).

I consider it spam. If anybody knows different, I'll listen.

Jose

Andrew Engels Rump (formerly Leif Andrew Rump)

After drinking 3 Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, Jose
No, but I got a similar invitation. It appears to be a bot
sending the stuff out (nobody who reads my website would pick
the keywords that dirpedia did).

Same here!
I consider it spam. If anybody knows different, I'll listen.

It is unsolicited, and as you suggest even automated! I do
like wikipedia, but we all have to adhere to the same rules,
so I have reported it as spam (using SpamCop.net).

The site seems to be so new that even Google haven't collected
that much information about it yet.

Andrew
--
*** The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. ***
* Software Engineer Andrew Engels Rump * BLIK og ROERarbejderforbundet *

winelight

Yes I agree that it's spam.

I visited the site itself (dirpedia) and it doesn't even work (stuff is
randomly scattered around my browser window).

All it seems to do is reproduce content from other sources (Wikipedia
and DMOZ) although it is nothing to do with them. It is absolutely
nothing to do with Wikipedia, anyway.

Andrew