link open new window

Discussion in 'HTML' started by SeeSchloss, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. SeeSchloss

    SeeSchloss Guest

    > Say I have a link like this

    > How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go
    > back\go forward buttons ?
    >
    > Cheers :)

    Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

    --
    SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net
    SeeSchloss, Sep 28, 2003

  2. SeeSchloss <> wrote:

    >> Say I have a link like this

    >> How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go
    >> back\go forward buttons ?
    >>
    >> Cheers :)

    > Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

    Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?

    Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the foot?
    To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this particular thing
    is not possible in HTML but could be done in JavaScript. To shoot on the
    other foot too, use an image of Google and use onclick for it to open the
    new window instead of ugly links.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 28, 2003

  3. SeeSchloss

    floortje Guest

    "John Doe" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message

    > > > Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

    > > Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?
    > >
    > > Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the foot?
    > > To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this particular

    thing
    > > is not possible in HTML but could be done in JavaScript. To shoot on the
    > > other foot too, use an image of Google and use onclick for it to open

    the
    > > new window instead of ugly links.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    > > Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
    > >

    > Thank you for answering my question :)
    >
    > Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    Cause it usually irritates the crap out of me. Unless I find ur page really
    interesting I usually dont bother with sites that have links like that.

    John Doe, Sep 28, 2003
  5. SeeSchloss

    SeeSchloss Guest

    Après mure réflexion, "John Doe" a écrit :
    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

    >> Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?
    >>
    >> Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the
    >> foot? To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this
    >> particular thing is not possible in HTML but could be done in
    >> JavaScript. To shoot on the other foot too, use an image of
    >> Google and use onclick for it to open the new window instead of
    >> ugly links.

    > Thank you for answering my question :)
    >
    > Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    Well links to websites in windows without any navigation
    buttons are really annoying, and I don't stay there very
    long. Anyway when I find one, I disable javascript only to
    have menus and buttons.

    --
    SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net
    SeeSchloss, Sep 28, 2003
  6. SeeSchloss

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <3f76ea2f$>, says...
    > Thank you for answering my question :)
    > Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    Because some "experts" are really anal about their browsers. Where the
    general public could care less. Proof of this is the fact that more
    than 80% of the public uses IE when there are other (disputed) better
    browsers out there.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Sep 28, 2003
  7. SeeSchloss

    SeeSchloss Guest

    "John Doe" a pensé très fort :
    > "SeeSchloss" <> wrote in message
    >> Après mure réflexion, "John Doe" a écrit :
    >>> "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you for answering my question :)
    >>>
    >>> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    >> Well links to websites in windows without any navigation
    >> buttons are really annoying, and I don't stay there very
    >> long. Anyway when I find one, I disable javascript only to
    >> have menus and buttons.

    > Well I was gonna use it to open a window with a series of
    > pictures with a last picture, next picture and close window
    > button included. Anyway, it was just a though.

    Well do what you want, but I just let you know that I don't
    like it too much and won't help you to do it :p

    --
    SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net
    SeeSchloss, Sep 28, 2003
  8. SeeSchloss

    PeterMcC Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <3f76ea2f$>, says...
    >> Thank you for answering my question :)
    >> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    > Because some "experts" are really anal about their browsers. Where
    > the general public could care less. Proof of this is the fact that
    > more than 80% of the public uses IE when there are other (disputed)
    > better browsers out there.

    You may well be right about new windows, I don't know; however, the fact
    that more than 80% of the public uses IE, inferior browser or not, isn't
    very convincing as a proof that new windows are a good thing.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Sep 28, 2003
  9. SeeSchloss

    John Doe Guest

    John Doe, Sep 28, 2003
  10. John Doe wrote:

    > Say I have a link like this

    It would open up a local document on your server with the filename
    "www.google.com" or give a 404 Not Found error if none existed (assuming
    your server is configured in a typical manner). If you want to have a
    link to the actual Google site, you'd need to include the "http://" part.

    > How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go back\go
    > forward buttons ?

    How can I stay the hell away from annoying sites like yours that want to
    do stuff like that?

    --
    == Dan ==
    Daniel R. Tobias, Sep 28, 2003
  11. SeeSchloss

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <LFCdb.102$9.net>,
    says...
    > > Because some "experts" are really anal about their browsers. Where
    > > the general public could care less. Proof of this is the fact that
    > > more than 80% of the public uses IE when there are other (disputed)
    > > better browsers out there.

    > You may well be right about new windows, I don't know; however, the fact
    > that more than 80% of the public uses IE, inferior browser or not, isn't
    > very convincing as a proof that new windows are a good thing.

    I agree, it shows no proof if they are a good thing or not. What it
    shows is that people don't care.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Sep 28, 2003
  12. SeeSchloss

    DU Guest

    SeeSchloss wrote:

    > Well links to websites in windows without any navigation buttons are
    > really annoying, and I don't stay there very long. Anyway when I find
    > one, I disable javascript only to have menus and buttons.

    Mozilla-based browsers (and some other popup killer softwares like
    proxomitron) have setting which will neutralize and sterilize javascript
    the turning off of windowFeatures (toolbars or window feature). In this
    case, (Mozilla):

    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar", true);
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar", true);
    etc..

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Sep 28, 2003
  13. SeeSchloss

    John Doe Guest

    John Doe, Sep 28, 2003
  14. SeeSchloss

    DU Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    > "SeeSchloss" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Après mure réflexion, "John Doe" a écrit :
    >>
    >>>"Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thank you for answering my question :)
    >>>
    >>>Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    >>Well links to websites in windows without any navigation
    >>buttons are really annoying, and I don't stay there very
    >>long. Anyway when I find one, I disable javascript only to
    >>have menus and buttons.
    >>

    >>--
    >>SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net

    > Well I was gonna use it to open a window with a series of pictures with a
    > last picture, next picture and close window button included. Anyway, it was
    > just a though.

    If you were serious about searching this issue, you would not have asked
    this in this newsgroup. Every single day, there is a question on
    secondary window in alt.html and comp.lang.javascript newsgroups. Just
    search "Pop up technique" and "controlling browser window size and bars"
    threads posted in the last 10 days in this newsgroup and you'll get answers.
    I personally answered a single specific difficulty related to popup
    windows at least 25 times in the last 2 years in 2 newsgroups and I'm
    convinced people do not spend more than 5 min. researching for answers.

    People also trust blindly javascript copy-N-paste sites and this is
    where they usually get the worse possible (non compliant, buggy, crappy,
    anti-accessibility, counter-usability code jabbering in invalid markup
    code) scripts.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Sep 28, 2003
  15. John Doe wrote:

    > Well I was gonna use it to open a window with a series of pictures with a
    > last picture, next picture and close window button included.

    Its quite possible that people might want to bookmark a page, or get the URL
    of a specific image to send to a friend, or print an image, or save one, or
    use the extended back menu to skip a few images at once?

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Sep 28, 2003
  16. "John Doe" <> wrote in message

    > Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

    Let's turn the question around.....

    Why do you think it's a good idea to:
    - disable the back button;
    - disable the forward button;
    - remove the menus.

    Hint: Why are those items there in the first place?

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Sep 28, 2003
  17. "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <LFCdb.102$9.net>,
    > > You may well be right about new windows, I don't know; however, the fact
    > > that more than 80% of the public uses IE, inferior browser or not, isn't
    > > very convincing as a proof that new windows are a good thing.

    > I agree, it shows no proof if they are a good thing or not. What it
    > shows is that people don't care.

    No. What it shows is that, if they care, they do not know how to express their
    concern (or that they express their concern in ways that do not get reported to
    the web author).

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Sep 28, 2003
  18. SeeSchloss

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Whitecrest said...

    > the fact that more than 80% of the public uses IE

    60% of the Waffen SS were non german. does that make the SS any less
    evil?

    --
    29/September/2003 07:29:17 am
    brucie, Sep 28, 2003
  19. SeeSchloss

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, -
    html.org says...
    > > the fact that more than 80% of the public uses IE

    > 60% of the Waffen SS were non german. does that make the SS any less
    > evil?

    If it is evil or not makes no difference. The fact is, 80% of them use
    it anyway.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Sep 29, 2003
  20. SeeSchloss

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Whitecrest said...

    >>> the fact that more than 80% of the public uses IE

    >> 60% of the Waffen SS were non german. does that make the SS any less
    >> evil?

    > If it is evil or not makes no difference. The fact is, 80% of them use
    > it anyway.

    you mean the guess, not the fact, is 80%.

    20% knows how bad IE is so 80% of the internet population are ignorant
    morons because only ignorant morons would use IE knowing how bad it
    is.

    isn't it wonderful the stuff you can make up and present as fact?

    --
    29/September/2003 09:45:26 am
    brucie, Sep 29, 2003