Link or Button that executes command on server (where page is hosted)

fake.e-mail

Is it possible to have a link or button on a website that when clicked
would run a command on the server where the page is hosted? Not "from"
the server, but actually "on" the server, so the command does something
on the server and is executed by the server, not executed by the client
machine ... just to clarify :).

If so, could someone show me the html code for this? I'm quite new to
html so if you can show all the code that would really help out.

Thanks,
Harry

JDS

If so, could someone show me the html code for this? I'm quite new to
html so if you can show all the code that would really help out.
You wouldn't use HTML to do this; HTML is not a programming language and
doesn't actually "do" anything.

You need to use a scripting or programming language on the server, such as
PHP, ASP, server-side Javascript, C/C++, Perl, whatever...

Then (and this is the HTML bit) you need to create an HTML link to the
program on the server, providing all of the information the program needs
in the link.

example:

OR

<a
href="database-submission-tool.php?db=bigdatabase&amp;username=user&amp;password=dontsendpasswordsintheurl">PROCESS
DATABASE SUBMISSION</a>

or similar...

The actual creation of the server side tool is the hard part. :)

What, exactly, do you need to do?

What resources do you have available to do it with? (server environment,
programming skills, etc.)

later...

fake.e-mail

JDS said:
[...]

In your first example you show it pointing to an exe ... would that exe
reside on the server or client end?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. What I'm trying to do is to run the killtask command on ther
server to end a certain task. Bascially I run a program on the server
that doesn't like remote desktop, so before I connect via remote
desktop to the server I would like to pull up a website (hosted on that
server) with a link on it that allows me to kill the one process and
then I can connect via remote desktop.

fake.e-mail

In your first example you show it pointing to an exe ... would that exe
reside on the server or client end?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. What I'm trying to do is to run the killtask command on ther
server to end a certain task. Bascially I run a program on the server
that doesn't like remote desktop, so before I connect via remote
desktop to the server I would like to pull up a website (hosted on that
server) with a link on it that allows me to kill the one process and
then I can connect via remote desktop.

P.P.S. I should probably clarify, this is not open to the internet,
it's internal on an intranet, so security isn't really a concern (ie:
no need to worry that someone else will kill the process). I just need
to be able to kill this process without sitting in front of the server
before I connect via remote desktop.

Thanks again,
Harry