    When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or the
    @import CSS?

    Marc

    Marc, Sep 25, 2003

  2. In post <bku6n3$62ekl$-berlin.de>
    Marc said...

    > When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or the
    > @import CSS?

    it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
    hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
    @import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
    for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
    users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

    --
    25/September/2003 05:54:12 pm

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > > When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or
    the
    > > @import CSS?

    > it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
    > hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
    > @import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
    > for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
    > users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

    In that case, as my XHTML works fine with no CSS, albeit looking somewhat
    plain, I guess I could just use the @import method, and not bother with a
    <link> with the thought process that although the page looks crummy in
    IE4/NS4/O5 it *will* work, and those browsers are very rare now. That sound
    like a good plan?

    Marc

    Marc, Sep 25, 2003
  4. In post <bku8he$5s2cs$-berlin.de>
    Marc said...

    >> it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
    >> hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
    >> @import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
    >> for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
    >> users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

    > In that case, as my XHTML works fine with no CSS, albeit looking somewhat
    > plain, I guess I could just use the @import method, and not bother with a
    > <link> with the thought process that although the page looks crummy in
    > IE4/NS4/O5 it *will* work, and those browsers are very rare now. That sound
    > like a good plan?

    sounds good to me.

    How to hide CSS from buggy browsers
    http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/