LINK tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tomba, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Tomba

    Tomba Guest

    hi all,

    I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
    transitional.
    I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets me an
    error on this part:

    Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
    (explain...).
    <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />
    I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the <head>.
    Does anyone know how comes??

    thanks already,
    Steven DG
    --
    Webmaster of:
    http://www.f1technical.net/

    Tomba, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Tomba

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Tomba" <>
    writing in news:3f5261dd$0$3676$:

    > hi all,
    >
    > I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
    > transitional.
    > I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets me
    > an error on this part:
    >
    > Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
    > (explain...).
    > <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />
    > I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the
    > <head>. Does anyone know how comes??

    There's probably some other element that is causing the problem. URL?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Tomba

    Tomba Guest

    ok well I found it...thanks!

    the problem is in <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
    title="Search" /> the last two characters.
    you should just write <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
    title="Search">

    Tomba, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Tomba wrote:

    > I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
    > transitional.

    You are using HTML, but this is XHTML:

    > <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Tomba

    Richard Guest

    Tomba wrote:>>

    > ok well I found it...thanks!

    > the problem is in <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
    > title="Search" /> the last two characters.
    > you should just write <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
    > title="Search">

    Because you tried closing the tag within the opening tag.
    <link/> would cause an error.

    Richard, Sep 1, 2003
  6. "Tomba" <> wrote:

    > Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
    > (explain...).
    > <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />

    In practical terms, the problem is on the line right above that line.

    > I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the
    > <head>.

    Then you are wrong. It is within the body element, which was implicitly
    opened by the preceding character data ">".

    Short help: Un-learn whatever you have learned about "modern" style of
    using "/>" at the end of tags instead of ">".

    Long help (for those who wish to reject the simple advice):
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html
    (well, you just need to read the first three sections to get the general
    idea).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 1, 2003