    the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.

    Please help.

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Ed

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Ed <ex@directory> said:

    > I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
    > is defined as a 3-framed frameset

    *2* framed sites? You really are asking to be flamed, aren't you? :)

    > what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
    > specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
    > menu frame on the left-hand-side.

    Welcome to just one of the limitations of frames.

    http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")
    http://www.markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Ed wrote:

    > I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage
    > which is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long
    > menu on the left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.

    Mark has already given you the links to why frames are not to be used.
    Let me add that there is nothing I fume at more than having to scroll
    *twice* on one web page.

    Well, almost nothing.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Ed

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:55:24 +0000, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

    >I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
    >is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long menu on the
    >left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.
    >
    >I have no problem creating a link to the frameset itself using the <a
    >href="second_frameset.htm" TARGET="_top">click to see</a> construct. But
    >what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
    >specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
    >menu frame on the left-hand-side.
    >
    >I am at a total loss as to how to format the link which will take me to
    >the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.

    descibes the target resource a damn site better than "click to
    see"</a>

    Then you use JavaScript to read the value 'foo' and scroll the framed
    page to the appropriate location. It's a right pain and obviously not
    possible if the new frameset isn't part of your site.

    This is just one of the reasons why frames are a bad idea.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Ed

    Guest

    Frames do still have a valid use in online application style pages, so
    I assume that's what this is for.

    On the target page you'll need these....

    <a name="one">Something here. Possibly just the first word of a
    paragraph.</a>

    They represent markers to automatically scroll to. You could have one
    of them. You could have 1000 of them on a page.

    Then you would format a link to the page and specific location like
    this...

    So you are just adding #one (or whatever you want to name the point)
    directly after the URL.

    Just apply that to your frame links.

    , Dec 23, 2004
  6. Ed

    Ed Guest

    wrote:
    > Frames do still have a valid use in online application style pages, so
    > I assume that's what this is for.
    >
    > On the target page you'll need these....
    >
    > <a name="one">Something here. Possibly just the first word of a
    > paragraph.</a>
    >
    > They represent markers to automatically scroll to. You could have one
    > of them. You could have 1000 of them on a page.
    >
    > Then you would format a link to the page and specific location like
    > this...

    > So you are just adding #one (or whatever you want to name the point)
    > directly after the URL.
    >
    > Just apply that to your frame links.

    But the target page is defined as a 3-frame frameset. Even if I set up
    a labelled position in one of these frames as you describe using the
    name= construct, the link that you've given will only take me to the
    frameset itself. It will not make one of the frames scroll to the
    desired labelled position.

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:55:24 +0000, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
    >

    >>I want to create a link from one framed webpage to another webpage which
    >>is defined as a 3-framed frameset in which there is a long menu on the
    >>left-hand-side which scrolls within its own frame.
    >>
    >>I have no problem creating a link to the frameset itself using the <a
    >>href="second_frameset.htm" TARGET="_top">click to see</a> construct. But
    >>what I really would like to do is to link to the frameset AND
    >>specifically to a defined (or labelled or named) point in the scrollable
    >>menu frame on the left-hand-side.
    >>
    >>I am at a total loss as to how to format the link which will take me to
    >>the new frameset with the specified menu item on display.

    > descibes the target resource a damn site better than "click to
    > see"</a>
    >
    > Then you use JavaScript to read the value 'foo' and scroll the framed
    > page to the appropriate location. It's a right pain and obviously not
    > possible if the new frameset isn't part of your site.
    >
    > This is just one of the reasons why frames are a bad idea.
    >
    > Steve

    Steve,

    Yes, that sounds like a good solution to me and should do exactly what I
    want. So thanks for that.

    The new frameset is indeed part of my own website (which I only use for
    private purposes and it is not available to the general public) so there
    are no problems for me to add location markers to one of the frames in
    the new frameset.

    But, a couple of questions as I am quite new on all this:

    Is the question mark in

    intended or should that be a hash mark?

    Secondly, do you know of a good source that would help me write the
    Javascipt along the lines that you indicated?

    Once again, thanks for all your advice,

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 23, 2004