Link to another website, in an iframe, to a spot on page

mjones

Hi All,

Here's what I have, but it doesn't jump down to the spot on the page.

url=home/faculty.asp#DeMarco',
'DeMarco','toolbar=yes,location=yes,status=no,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=800,height=600')">Dr.
Carolyn DeMarco</a>

The page it's going to has <a name="DeMarco"></a> where I want to jump
to. This name tag works within the page because I use it to jump from
her top picture down to her detail.

If you need it, the code is on the page www.devitawellness.com/pub/electpoll.asp.

Any help to make this work would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones said:
I appologize; it's an iframe. This will work -
http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp.

[Please don't include the ending period with URLs; some newsreaders
can't separate that from the clickable link (though not mine). Thanks.]

"<!--WARNING :DO NOT USE SCRICT.DTD OTHERWISE THE IFRAME WILL DISPLAY
INCORRECTLY IN FIREFOX-->"
...probably not if you wrote it correctly? (I don't use iframes)

There are plenty of errors:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp>

Your meta keyword stuffing will get you penalties. Google and the others
stopped reading keywords sometime in the last millenium, due to abuse.
It is suggested that if the keywords do not appear in the content, you
may be dropped from indexing, though only Google knows its complete rule
set.

With the JavaScript stripped by my corporate firewall, your page is
nothing more than a heading and a large, long, empty blue box.
Approximately ~10% of your visitors will have JavaScript disabled or
stripped. You might as well turn your web server off for .. the month of
August .. every year.

After seeing the absurd (sorry) complexity of this layout - overused
JavaScript, mix of HTML 4.01 and HTML 3.2 - I believe I will bow out
trying to figure out your problem.

mjones

[...]

Thank you for your frank opinion. This was an early website I did
when I just started learning html and a 'friend' helped me with it.
It turns out he wasn't such a friend after all - he was just trying to
get me to go out with him. But now I'm stuck with the code on four
websites and doing my best to carry on without him.

I ran it though w3.org's validator and you're right. It's a mess.

Again, thanks for trying.

mjones

[...]

Again, thanks for trying.- Hide quoted text -

Hi again,

I was able to validate the code. Is there any way you can possibly
look at it again? Please.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones said:
I was able to validate the code. Is there any way you can possibly
look at it again? Please.

Ok, that's a start. You do have some CSS errors, too.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp>

The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
month of August"... :)

Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/ ?
...a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems. What
do you use to generate these pages? They are so intense they can't
possibly be hand-coded...

mjones

Ok, that's a start. You do have some CSS errors, too.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.dev...>

The resulting page, though, is still a large empty blue box "for the
month of August"... :)

Are you: http://www.quality-computing.com/?
..a large empty *dark* blue box. That site has the same problems. What
do you use to generate these pages? They are so intense they can't
possibly be hand-coded...

Yes, I'm Quality Computing. Yes, same basic coding. I don't need to
tell you that Project Management is my thing, not html. I am getting
somewhat better with time (www.minusforty.ca), but still have a
considerable way to go. Also, the quality standard is set by the
client - how much time (read money) they give me to spend on it. It's
been my experience that once they see it on their screen, that's all
they care. My clients visualize the page as being typed in Word. On
the other hand, it's partly me learning on the job so to speak, too.
I really enjoy the design and wording aspects, but I'm not a
programmer, and prefer to employ programmers for web development
projects.

Yes, hand coded if I understand what you mean. I use HomeSite, and
because I type fast, I generally type the code I remember or just
TopStyle Lite (in HomeSite) to pick options.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This
website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
several years, i.e. www.devitawellness.com works. Similarly, so does
www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
use?

Thanks for pointing me to the CSS validator. It will be useful
because I'm not sure about valid options at times. It's one thing
that makes me nuts. In HomeSite, when you right click a tag to edit
it and choose a StyleSheet style, you get TopStyle Lite. Then you
pick your styles (like font-style), but more often than not the styles
do nothing. It would be good if only the styles that are valid for
that tag will show in the list. I think I have to pick the right
thing from the Style Inspector drop down (I've got CSS2), but I'm not
sure hope that works. I just added that to my very long to do list.

Thanks again and sorry for being so green at this. Maybe I can help
you with project management sometime; I teach it.

Michele

John Hosking

mjones said:
On Aug 6, 1:56 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This
website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
several years, i.e. www.devitawellness.com works. Similarly, so does
www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
use?

Beauregard tends to travel unencumbered by JavaScript. With my JS turned
off I see vast tracts of empty space on (the default pages of) both the
sites mentioned. Doesn't matter what browser.

mjones

Beauregard tends to travel unencumbered by JavaScript. With my JS turned
off I see vast tracts of empty space on (the default pages of) both the
sites mentioned. Doesn't matter what browser.

Our user stats show 0.39% with Java disabled and 0.77% with JavaScript
disabled. I guess we're okay then. Whew.

We're getting 42% IE7, 42% IE6 and 15% Mozilla/Netscape5 - all English
(US and Canada). Not a fancy userbase.

My original question was, from this page - http://www.devitawellness.com/?url=/pub/elecpoll.asp
(see link below), why doesn't the result jump down to the name
DeMarco?

www.energywellnessstudies.com?
url=home/faculty.asp#DeMarco',
'DeMarco','toolbar=yes,location=yes,status=no,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,re­
sizable=yes,width=800,height=600')">Dr.
Carolyn DeMarco</a>

I hope someone can help now that I've validated the code.

Thanks again all,

Michele

Chris F.A. Johnson

On Aug 6, 2:47 pm, John Hosking <[email protected]>
wrote: ....

Our user stats show 0.39% with Java disabled and 0.77% with JavaScript
disabled. I guess we're okay then.

No, it means that a lot of people don't bother returning to your
site.

mjones

No, it means that a lot of people don't bother returning to your
site.

Author:

How do I go about fixing it? Are you suggesting that I don't use
Javascript?

We're getting 47% returning visitors. For the client's industry, I'm
happy with that.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones said:
Yes, hand coded if I understand what you mean. I use HomeSite, and
because I type fast, I generally type the code I remember or just
TopStyle Lite (in HomeSite) to pick options.

Your sites are not hand-coded. Hand-coding is when you type everything
in the "source" with your keyboard, not using a WYSIWYMG product such as
HoseSite. Using a simple text editor. Notepad, for example (though I use
a much better one than that).
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'large empty *dark* blue box". This

My JavaScript is off. Turn yours off to see what I mean. Approximately
10% of your visitors will have JavaScript off/disabled/stripped and will
see no content in that large blue box. IOW, your pages are blank except
for the header at the top.
website works in IE6, IE7 and pretty much in FireFox, has been for
several years, i.e. www.devitawellness.com works. Similarly, so does
www.energywellnessstudies.com. And the 'month of August'? Whatever
do you mean? It sounds like you're into the Tetigi software (the
webstats stuff) from the bottom of the pages. What browser do you
use?

In a previous post, I said relying on JavaScript for important stuff
(like menus and content) is like turning your web server off for a month
every year. (Like August)

Doesn't matter what browser. I've looked at your sites with Firefox,
Opera, and Safari and they are the same.

Try OffByOne sometime; http://offbyone.com/
Thanks for pointing me to the CSS validator. It will be useful
because I'm not sure about valid options at times. It's one thing
that makes me nuts. In HomeSite, when you right click a tag to edit
it and choose a StyleSheet style, you get TopStyle Lite. Then you
pick your styles (like font-style), but more often than not the styles
do nothing. It would be good if only the styles that are valid for
that tag will show in the list. I think I have to pick the right
thing from the Style Inspector drop down (I've got CSS2), but I'm not
sure hope that works. I just added that to my very long to do list.

I looked at TopStyle several years ago. I can type the stuff a lot
faster than using it to pick things...
Thanks again and sorry for being so green at this. Maybe I can help
you with project management sometime; I teach it.

<lol> No, I'm retired now...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones said:
Our user stats show 0.39% with Java disabled and 0.77% with JavaScript
disabled. I guess we're okay then. Whew.

You need to worry. Do you know that the Googlebot won't see your content
either? It does not read and execute JavaScript.

Byebye search engines...
We're getting 42% IE7, 42% IE6 and 15% Mozilla/Netscape5 - all
English (US and Canada). Not a fancy userbase.

If your stats really say 15% Moz/Netscape5, then I wouldn't trust them
for percentage of JavaScript either.

I haven't seen Netscape 5 or less at my sites for months.

Chris F.A. Johnson

How do I go about fixing it? Are you suggesting that I don't use
Javascript?

Exactly!
We're getting 47% returning visitors. For the client's industry, I'm
happy with that.

Think how much more it would be without JS.

mjones

You need to worry. Do you know that the Googlebot won't see your content
either? It does not read and execute JavaScript.

Byebye search engines...

If your stats really say 15% Moz/Netscape5, then I wouldn't trust them
for percentage of JavaScript either.

I haven't seen Netscape 5 or less at my sites for months.

I think the 15% is really Firefox (and Netscape) because Firefox is
not in the list and I know there are Firefox users. So given that, I
feel I can still trust the stats.

I see what you mean about Javascript, but as I mentioned above, our
user stats show 0.39% Java disabled and 0.77 JavaScript disabled.
These are not significant enough numbers (bye bye only a few days each
year) to make me throw out months of work and start again. I'm sure
my client will agree.

Also, one of my other clients is Sun Microsystems. I think they'd
like me to use their product.

Also, I wouldn't know how to go about redesigning the menuing system
in html. I think these sites are too big for that. I last site I
made I used a menu application called Infinite Menus. After quite a
bit of back and forth with them, I did get it to work
(www.minusforty.ca). I believe that BestBuy uses this one, too, but
they're not using iframes and (well, mine works better).

I do see your point though about Javascript, but I hope you can see
mine, too, and still hope you can help with the link to a particular
spot in a page.

Thanks for your time and interesting points,

Michele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mjones said:
I see what you mean about Javascript, but as I mentioned above, our
user stats show 0.39% Java disabled and 0.77 JavaScript disabled.
These are not significant enough numbers (bye bye only a few days each
year) to make me throw out months of work and start again. I'm sure
my client will agree.

You missed the part about the search engines not reading and executing
JavaScript. To them, it's a blank page(s). Your content will never be
indexed by Google and the others. How will people find you?
Also, one of my other clients is Sun Microsystems. I think they'd
like me to use their product.

What product is that?

Our opinions differ on that. said:
I last site I
made I used a menu application called Infinite Menus. After quite a
bit of back and forth with them, I did get it to work
(www.minusforty.ca). I believe that BestBuy uses this one, too, but
they're not using iframes and (well, mine works better).

"This page is expected to be completed very shortly." appears on quite
a number of pages. You shouldn't have those on the menu until completed.
I also found the minusforty site "confusing for a newbie" with
links/menus on the left, the top, and the right. A well-designed menu
should be all in one spot.

mjones

You missed the part about the search engines not reading and executing
JavaScript. To them, it's a blank page(s). Your content will never be
indexed by Google and the others. How will people find you?

What product is that?

"This page is expected to be completed very shortly." appears on quite
a number of pages. You shouldn't have those on the menu until completed.
I also found the minusforty site "confusing for a newbie" with
links/menus on the left, the top, and the right. A well-designed menu
should be all in one spot.

Thanks for your input on the minus forty site. It game me an idea
that will help the confusion.

I didn't say html menus were not possible. I have used them. I just
found them limiting, considering that I'm one of the limitations,
too. But then I didn't know about the Javascript search engine issue,
which puts a whole new light on things. Do you have an example of a
good html menu; one that has a main menu and submenus?

Do I understand you to mean that most websites with Javascript driven
menus will only get the pages indexed by search engines that can be
viewed without Javascript? Really? And then would it help to have a
site map in basic html as a stop gap measure to redoing all the code?

Thanks again,

Michele

P.S. - Any ideas on my original request?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

One of mine: http://fingerlakesbmw.org/
Do I understand you to mean that most websites with Javascript driven
menus will only get the pages indexed by search engines that can be
viewed without Javascript?

Yes, that's it. Your content does not appear unless JavaScript is
executed. The search engine bots do not do that, so no content. Nothing
to index except your header.
Really? And then would it help to have a site map in basic html as a
stop gap measure to redoing all the code?

A site map is always a good idea, for both the bots and your visitors.
Howsomeever, when the bot follows your site map links to the other
pages, and the JavaScript *doesn't execute*, no content is seen.

Bergamot

Beauregard said:
Your sites are not hand-coded. Hand-coding is when you type everything
in the "source" with your keyboard, not using a WYSIWYMG product such as
HoseSite.

You are mistaken here. I've been using HomeSite for years. It's a very
good plain text editor and web authoring tool. Some versions do have
some WYSIWYG-like features, but they are best ignored.