    a strange one? any ideas?

    regards
    joe

    joe, Jan 5, 2004

  2. And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths,
    and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
    fruit bats, and "joe" <> spake, saying

    > hi guys,
    > i've created a database. when i access this directly or
    > from a
    > shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access
    > it via a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything
    > fancy just a simple html page that is only used as a simple access
    > method for the user that sits on the same network drive as the
    > database) it takes a long time to open.
    > i can put the shortcut in the same folder as the html page...
    > fine, use
    > the link on the page... very slow.
    >
    > a strange one? any ideas?

    I'm assuming from the X-posts that it's an access database.
    Can you post the code for the page? Might help in diagnosing the problem

    --

    Kwyj.

    The astounding Kwyjibo., Jan 5, 2004

  3. joe wrote:

    > i've created a database. when i access this directly or from a
    > shortcut, say put on the desktop, it opens quickly. but when i access it via
    > a link on a simple html page (not from the web or anything fancy just a
    > simple html page that is only used as a simple access method for the user
    > that sits on the same network drive as the database) it takes a long time to
    > open.

    Presumably your browser is "downloading" (i.e. copying) the database to
    your cache before trying to open it. That is your problem.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 5, 2004
  4. joe

    Desotuatail Guest

    If this is an access database on the server Give it a DNS entry on the server
    with a name i.e. sample

    then in your code. (Well something like this would work)

    dsn = "sample"
    Set connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set rsStudent = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    sqlStudent = "SELECT * FROM Students WHERE Subject = maths"
    rsStudent sqlStudent connection
    ..
    ..
    ..
    response.write rsStudent ("Name")
    ..
    ..

    Hope this consept is of any help

    Desotuatail, Jan 5, 2004
  5. joe

    joe Guest

    hi toby,
    any clues on how to get around this?
    regards
    joe

    joe, Jan 6, 2004
  6. joe wrote:

    > any clues on how to get around this?

    It is a normal part of your browser's operation. Just open the database
    directly instead of via your browser.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 6, 2004
  7. joe

    joe Guest

    the html page is use for links to commonly used tools
    this is one of the main ones

    joe, Jan 6, 2004
  8. "joe" <> wrote in message news:<xlFKb.80739$>...
    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > > joe wrote:
    > >
    > > > any clues on how to get around this?

    > > It is a normal part of your browser's operation. Just open the database
    > > directly instead of via your browser.

    > the html page is use for links to commonly used tools
    > this is one of the main ones

    Then you can't speed it up, unless the file is cached. As someone has
    already said - the browser is downloading the file and then opening
    it.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 7, 2004