    Thanks.

    -- Gnarlie
    Gore invented the internet, Bush invented the internets

    Gnarlodious.com, Oct 15, 2004

  2. While the city slept, Gnarlodious.com () feverishly
    typed...

    > I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate
    > the default pagename in the URL.
    > Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
    > location in the target page.
    > Example:
    > http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/
    >
    > The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
    > "Spectrum.html" is now "index.html".
    > How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
    > "index.html" in the URL?

    Change the link? If you have changed the filenames of the pages on your
    site, then you must update the links within your site accordingly.

    For external linkers, you can set up redirects. Although you *can* do this
    in the HTML page with meta tags, you shouldn't really. You should instead do
    this on the server. Depending on what server you are using will dictate the
    technique you need to use. Try a google on your server type + "redirect", eg
    "Apache redirect"

    Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Gnarlodious.com

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:48:26 GMT, Gnarlodious.com <>
    wrote:

    > I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate the
    > default pagename in the URL.
    > Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
    > location in the target page.
    > Example:
    > http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/
    >
    > The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
    > "Spectrum.html"
    > is now "index.html".
    > How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
    > "index.html" in the URL?

    This works in Opera. Haven't tested in other UAs but imagine it *should*
    work in browsers which can find id's.

    BTW http://spectrumology.com/Cognition/Spectrum/ is a 404.

    Neal, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Gnarlodious.com

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Gnarlodious.com wrote:

    > I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate the
    > default pagename in the URL.
    > Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
    > location in the target page.
    > Example:
    > http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/
    >
    > The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
    > "Spectrum.html" is now "index.html".
    > How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
    > "index.html" in the URL?

    Your question is really 'What is the difference between a crocodile?'
    httpd.conf: 'DirectoryIndex index.html' as you did probably and then
    you can leave away in this case 'index.html'.
    <a class=I href="../Spectrum/#Spectrum">spectrum</a>

    --
    Jan

    http://www.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Oct 15, 2004