Link to location in default page

Gnarlodious.com

I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate the
default pagename in the URL.
Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
location in the target page.
Example:
http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/

The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page "Spectrum.html"
is now "index.html".
How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
"index.html" in the URL?

Thanks.

-- Gnarlie
Gore invented the internet, Bush invented the internets

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Gnarlodious.com ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate
the default pagename in the URL.
Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
location in the target page.
Example:
http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/

The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
"Spectrum.html" is now "index.html".
How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
"index.html" in the URL?

Change the link? If you have changed the filenames of the pages on your
site, then you must update the links within your site accordingly.

For external linkers, you can set up redirects. Although you *can* do this
in the HTML page with meta tags, you shouldn't really. You should instead do
this on the server. Depending on what server you are using will dictate the
technique you need to use. Try a google on your server type + "redirect", eg
"Apache redirect"

Hope that helps,
Nige

Neal

I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate the
default pagename in the URL.
Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
location in the target page.
Example:
http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/

The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
"Spectrum.html"
is now "index.html".
How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
"index.html" in the URL?

This works in Opera. Haven't tested in other UAs but imagine it *should*
work in browsers which can find id's.

BTW http://spectrumology.com/Cognition/Spectrum/ is a 404.

Jan Faerber

Gnarlodious.com said:
I've gone about converting pages to "index.html" so as to eliminate the
default pagename in the URL.
Problem is now, I don't know how to make the relative path open on a
location in the target page.
Example:
http://Spectrumology.com/Cognition/Language/

The link "spectrum " now brings up an error because the page
"Spectrum.html" is now "index.html".
How would I make the link point to the default page without specifying
"index.html" in the URL?

Your question is really 'What is the difference between a crocodile?'
httpd.conf: 'DirectoryIndex index.html' as you did probably and then
you can leave away in this case 'index.html'.
<a class=I href="../Spectrum/#Spectrum">spectrum</a>