    different sites.
    When you people cite the standard which
    website specifically are you referencing?

    Richard McBeef, Jan 12, 2010

  2. Richard McBeef

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Richard McBeef <> writes:
    >When you people cite the standard which
    >website specifically are you referencing?

    ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (E)

    This is not a website.

    Stefan Ram, Jan 12, 2010

  3. Richard McBeef, Jan 12, 2010
  4. Richard McBeef wrote:
    > Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    >> Richard McBeef <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
    >>> different sites.
    >>> When you people cite the standard which
    >>> website specifically are you referencing?

    >> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

    > I guess nobody updates that faq.
    > The information there is very wrong.
    > The site linked to sells copies of the standard
    > for about $350.
    > http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=ISO/IEC 9899:1999
    > Where did you people get your copy?

    Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
    term yields a free copy
    http://www.nirvani.net.nyud.net:8090/docs/ansi_c.pdf
    You guys need to update your faq to
    include free sources. Also, correct the price
    information to reflect the current absurd
    charges.
    TIA

    Richard McBeef, Jan 12, 2010
  5. Richard McBeef <> writes:
    > Yes, I have googled this but have found many
    > different sites.
    > When you people cite the standard which
    > website specifically are you referencing?

    The C90 standard is very difficult to find these days. I bought a
    (rather low-quality) PDF copy for $18 from ANSI some years ago,
    but they're no longer selling it. If you can find a used copy of
    Schildt's book "The Annotated ANSI C Standard", it contains the C90
    standard on the left-hand pages. The right-hand pages have Schildt's
    very bad annotations; see <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html>.

    Apparently you can still get PDF copies of the C90 standard and C95
    amendment at
    <http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=stds000005269>
    ($181.58) and
    <http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=isoc000767513>
    ($84.50); I wouldn't pay that much myself.

    <http://flash-gordon.me.uk/ansi.c.txt> is a plain-text copy of an
    unofficial pre-C90 draft. It probably differs in some minor ways
    from the C90 standard itself. Also, being plain text, it loses
    some formatting information and special symbols.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> is a
    bzip2-compressed plain-text copy of a pre-C99 draft. It suffers
    from the same drawbacks as "ansi.c.txt" above. I don't recommend
    it unless you really need plain text rather than PDF.

    The C99 standard is available from the ANSI store or from your
    national standard body in PDF format. I paid $18 for my copy,
    but I think it's gone up a bit. There have been three Technical
    Corrigenda since then, available at no change from ANSI.

    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> is
    a post-C99 draft, consisting of the C99 standard with the three
    Technical Corrigenda merged into it and marked with change bars.
    It's not *quite* official, but it's close enough for most purposes.
    This is the one I use most of the time.

    There are also some early drafts of the C201X standard. The latest
    is <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1425.pdf>.
    Do not expect any implementation to conform to these drafts for
    a while.

    The C standard committee's web site is
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/>.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Jan 12, 2010
  6. Richard McBeef <> writes:
    > Richard McBeef wrote:
    >> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

    >>> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

    >> I guess nobody updates that faq.
    >> The information there is very wrong.
    >> The site linked to sells copies of the standard
    >> for about $350.
    >> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=ISO/IEC 9899:1999
    >> Where did you people get your copy?

    > Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
    > term yields a free copy
    > http://[deleted]/ansi_c.pdf
    > You guys need to update your faq to
    > include free sources. Also, correct the price
    > information to reflect the current absurd
    > charges.

    ansi_c.pdf is identical to the copy of the C99 standard that I bought
    from ANSI for $18 a few years ago. It was probably pirated, and I
    don't believe it would be appropriate to cite it in the FAQ. (I
    personally think that the standard should be freely available, but it
    isn't.)

    n1256.pdf is newer, free, and, for most purposes, more useful than the
    actual C99 standard.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Jan 12, 2010
  7. On 12 Jan 2010 at 21:14, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Richard McBeef <> writes:
    >> Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search term yields a free
    >> copy: http://[deleted]/ansi_c.pdf

    > It was probably pirated, and I don't believe it would be appropriate
    > to cite it in the FAQ.

    Give it up, Kiki.

    Information wants to be free, and you can't put the genie back in the
    bottle.

    Antoninus Twink, Jan 12, 2010
  8. Richard McBeef

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Richard McBeef wrote:
    > Richard McBeef wrote:
    >> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

    >>> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

    >> I guess nobody updates that faq.
    >> The information there is very wrong.
    >> The site linked to sells copies of the standard
    >> for about $350.
    >> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=ISO/IEC 9899:1999
    >> Where did you people get your copy?

    See the message by Keith. Although some people here have bought copies,
    or work for companies which have bought copies. Although at least some
    posters here have copies because they work on the standard committee
    which produces it.

    > Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
    > term yields a free copy
    > http://www.nirvani.net.nyud.net:8090/docs/ansi_c.pdf

    If that is what it claims to be then the person running that site is
    breaching copyright.

    > You guys need to update your faq to
    > include free sources. Also, correct the price
    > information to reflect the current absurd
    > charges.
    > TIA

    See the post by Keith. Also, most of us here don't support or condone
    breach of copyright since we earn our living in the software industry
    and one day it might be our work which is stolen.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Jan 12, 2010
  9. On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:46:06 -0800, Keith Thompson <>
    wrote:
    <snip C90>
    > <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> is a
    > bzip2-compressed plain-text copy of a pre-C99 draft. It suffers
    > from the same drawbacks as "ansi.c.txt" above. I don't recommend
    > it unless you really need plain text rather than PDF.

    In particular the last public draft pre-C99 (but, AIUI, NOT the FCD).
    n869.{txt,ps,pdf}.gz are available from the WG14 site you have below,
    although not linked from post-Portland (1999) as they logically should
    be; you must browse in $home/www/docs/ or just go directly to
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/

    > The C99 standard is available from the ANSI store or from your
    > national standard body in PDF format. I paid $18 for my copy,
    > but I think it's gone up a bit. There have been three Technical
    > Corrigenda since then, available at no change from ANSI.

    All the INCITS (former-X3) standards now seem to be USD30 at ANSI and
    it appears they will sell to anybody at least if you can e-pay in USD.
    (I remember seeing some reports of problems with other payment forms.
    They may be obliged to try to prohibit the five or six or whatever it
    is now US-government sanctioned countries like Iran and N. Korea.)
    My understanding is that all national bodies have the _right_ to
    distribute JTC1 standards, but I don't know that all actually do so.

    David Thompson, Jan 22, 2010