link toolbar

Richard

I am an HTML newbie.

I have created a table class "links" in a CSS. I include this in to my
source files.

In HTML I create a table of that tables class maintain a host of links to other pages on my
site. A toolbar if you like.

But currently I paste the same block of html (the table) onto all
pages. What is best way to "include" such a table so that the html is
not duplicated?

many thanks for any pointers.
-

jojo

Richard wrote:
^^^^^^^ not the bast name to have... you could easily be mixed up with
RtS (Google for "Richard Bullis" if you do not know him...). But I guess
you are not him... or at least I hope...
I am an HTML newbie.

I have created a table class "links" in a CSS. I include this in to my
source files.
I'm sorry? what exactly did you do? I guess something like
table.links {}?? Perhaps you can post a URL?
In HTML I create a table of that tables class maintain a host of links to other pages on my
site. A toolbar if you like.
a table of that tables? what should that be again?? please try at least
to describe your problem understandable...
Erm... and BTW: do your tables show any tabular data? I guess not... so
don't use tables then...
But currently I paste the same block of html (the table) onto all
pages. What is best way to "include" such a table so that the html is
not duplicated?
many thanks for any pointers.

any pointers? rewrite your question, make clear what you had done and
what you want to do, post a URL, ... may be easier to answer your
question if one can understand it...

Richard

freemont said:

So there is no common HTML "defined" way? My stuff is currently hosted
on an MS Server - and that means using ASP if I want server side
includes to work. I dont want to have .asp files because I want to
seamlessly share the files to a Unix server shortly without having to
rename files back to html.

I guess I was kind of hoping that I could somehow encode my table of
links into the CSS file which is used identically on windows asp or
unix/linux apache servers.

Harlan Messinger

Richard said:
So there is no common HTML "defined" way?

What's in the HTML is the client's business. The only thing an HTML
server does with a page is blindly copy it to the output stream being
sent to the client. There isn't a means in HTML to tell the server to do
something other than that because the server would never notice it. If
you want such a marker to be noticed, you need something that isn't only
an HTML server, like the ASP processor in IIS, an SSI or PHP processor, etc.
My stuff is currently hosted
on an MS Server - and that means using ASP if I want server side
includes to work. I dont want to have .asp files because I want to
seamlessly share the files to a Unix server shortly without having to
rename files back to html.

Change the extension to .shtml and the SSI processor in IIS will kick in
and do what you want without resorting to ASP. I believe .shtml works as
well on your average Unix server, though I'm not very knowledgeable
about that.

Alternatively (speaking with reference to IIS 5), you can go into the
App Mappings tab on the Configuration dialog accessed from the Home
Directory properties for your site (or the Virtual Directory properties
for your application) and add a mapping for the .html extension
identical to the existing one for the .shtml extension, though that may
not be a great idea.
I guess I was kind of hoping that I could somehow encode my table of
links into the CSS file which is used identically on windows asp or
unix/linux apache servers.

CSS doesn't do that.

freemont

So there is no common HTML "defined" way? My stuff is currently hosted
on an MS Server - and that means using ASP if I want server side
includes to work. I dont want to have .asp files because I want to
seamlessly share the files to a Unix server shortly without having to
rename files back to html.

I guess I was kind of hoping that I could somehow encode my table of
links into the CSS file which is used identically on windows asp or
unix/linux apache servers.

I hate saying it, but of course frames or iframes could possibly
accomplish what you're saying... but you don't want to go there. Includes
are the way to go. You say "I want to seamlessly share the files to a Unix
server". Read about PHP includes. They are *not* difficult to use. Many
decent hosts will have PHP set up for Windows and Linux.

Toby Inkster

Harlan said:
Change the extension to .shtml and the SSI processor in IIS will kick in
and do what you want without resorting to ASP. I believe .shtml works as
well on your average Unix server, though I'm not very knowledgeable
about that.

Indeed, it does.

Andy Dingley

Richard said:
So there is no common HTML "defined" way?

Fortunately not. HTML defines what it defines, and it does it well
enough. It would be wrong to stretch HTML into things it has no purpose
trying to specifiy. There are plenty of other "standard" ways of doing
this outside of HTML (where "standard" means "for all those people
trying to do much the same thing, from much the same environment")
My stuff is currently hosted
on an MS Server - and that means using ASP if I want server side
includes to work.

No, it doesn't. You can (and it might even be a good solution) but
there's also an ISAPI filter shipped with IIS that can do includes
without having to turn on the full-blown ASP behemoth.

Daniel R. Tobias

Richard said:
So there is no common HTML "defined" way? My stuff is currently hosted
on an MS Server - and that means using ASP if I want server side
includes to work. I dont want to have .asp files because I want to
seamlessly share the files to a Unix server shortly without having to
rename files back to html.

There actually is a LINK tag for defining links for the possible use by
browsers generating a toolbar on their own, but unfortunately actual
browser support is really miserable (I think Opera supports it, and
Mozilla Seamonkey [though it's turned off by default there], but Firefox
doesn't have it).

Jonathan N. Little

Daniel said:
There actually is a LINK tag for defining links for the possible use by
browsers generating a toolbar on their own, but unfortunately actual
browser support is really miserable (I think Opera supports it, and
Mozilla Seamonkey [though it's turned off by default there], but Firefox
doesn't have it).
Again, yes Firefox does have it via an extension. Firefox is supposed to
come 'stripped' and functionality is added as needed by extensions. The
best one for the link bar that I have found was cmSiteNavigation Toolbar
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1324/

Toby Inkster

Jonathan said:
Again, yes Firefox does have it via an extension. Firefox is supposed to
come 'stripped' and functionality is added as needed by extensions.

I would have thought that support for the full HTML 2.0 spec should fall
into the "basic functionality" category, and not require an extension, but
obviously the Firefox developers are happy to put forward a browser with
only "partial HTML support".

Jonathan N. Little

Toby said:
I would have thought that support for the full HTML 2.0 spec should fall
into the "basic functionality" category, and not require an extension, but
obviously the Firefox developers are happy to put forward a browser with
only "partial HTML support".

MS and their 'full-blown' browser has yet to support it!

(We are talking about the 'top', 'next', 'previous', 'chapters',...
links right?)

Alan J. Flavell

MS and their 'full-blown' browser has yet to support it!

MS themselves released a package of extensions for IE5 (IE5WA) which
could be used to access the links, and various other useful bits and
pieces. But they never updated it for IE6.
(We are talking about the 'top', 'next', 'previous', 'chapters',... links
right?)

That's how I'm reading it, anyway.

Jonathan N. Little

Alan said:
MS themselves released a package of extensions for IE5 (IE5WA) which
could be used to access the links, and various other useful bits and
pieces. But they never updated it for IE6.

That's how I'm reading it, anyway.

Same here. Just that Mozilla was my first browser that I had that
supported them, NN up to 7.1 didn't so they may have been defined back
in HTML 2.0 but the major graphical browsers didn't utilize them so I
would not slam Firefox people for not natively supporting the toolbar.
Personally I love the link navigation and incorporate them in my sites.

Joel Shepherd

Jonathan N. Little said:
Same here. Just that Mozilla was my first browser that I had that
supported them, NN up to 7.1 didn't so they may have been defined back
in HTML 2.0 but the major graphical browsers didn't utilize them so I
would not slam Firefox people for not natively supporting the toolbar.

Opera has supported LINK elements for at least a couple of major
versions now. No extension needed: it's native browser support.

Jonathan N. Little

Joel said:
Opera has supported LINK elements for at least a couple of major
versions now. No extension needed: it's native browser support.
Same with Mozilla|SeaMonkey

Toby Inkster

Jonathan said:
Same here. Just that Mozilla was my first browser that I had that
supported them,

Whether or not you had them or not, iCab, Lynx, Links, Mosaic 3, UdiWWW
all supported the LINK element before Mozilla did. Also, Opera 5 for Mac
supported LINK, though the feature didn't get ported to other platforms
until version 7.

Mozilla (not Firefox) 0.9x supported LINK, but they actually *removed* it
for Mozilla 1.0, re-instating it for 1.1.