link vs @import url

lisztnet

Hi,

i see almost no where the most and *only* important thing from the
viewer's side which is that a page with @import won't be saved with
the css. That's so annoying that the @import ccs syntax should be
definitivly prohibed imnsho. Also should be prohibed css code with
links to images, since in this case the target also won't be saved.
like here, in the example part.

http://www.htmldog.com/examples/darwin.html

or

http://blog.alsacreations.com/2004/09/25/64-link-ou-import

is there a reason other as maintenance that cause some people to use
@import ?

Andy Dingley

is there a reason other as maintenance that cause some people to use
@import ?

Two reasons I know of:

An _ancient_ NS4 technique to hide CSS

A useful technique to assemble a large stylesheet from sections, by
function. Several @import rules are used in one stylesheet, with no
other content in it. This stylesheet is then linked to the HTML by a
<link>

Bergamot

a page with @import won't be saved with
the css.
should be prohibed css code with
links to images, since in this case the target also won't be saved.

Go complain to the browser makers. File a bug at mozilla.org if you
like, but there's probably already one there.

I do wonder about your rant, though... Are you stealing lots of code
from other sites?

lisztnet

Go complain to the browser makers. File a bug at mozilla.org if you
like, but there's probably already one there.

I do wonder about your rant, though... Are you stealing lots of code
from other sites?

Ok, thanks Andy, and Bergamot. I was just wondering, learning css
since this week...

lisztnet

I do wonder about your rant, though... Are you stealing lots of code
from other sites?

Of course. I'm waiting for someone accidently build the code i need,
and then steal it; btw did you see a copyright somewhere ?

Maybe a good idee should be to disable the ability of browsers to save
pages, which is another kind of stealing ?

Dylan Parry

Of course. I'm waiting for someone accidently build the code i need,
and then steal it; btw did you see a copyright somewhere ?

It makes no difference whether you see a copyright notice or not.
Everything you come across online is probably copyrighted, and in fact
most works are considered copyrighted from the moment of their creation
regardless of whether they are registered or display a notice.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

lisztnet

It makes no difference whether you see a copyright notice or not.
Everything you come across online is probably copyrighted, and in fact
most works are considered copyrighted from the moment of their creation
regardless of whether they are registered or display a notice.

Ok, but it's not therefore i won't 'copy' them. I need to download
them in order to see how the site was build, and then do my own job.
Anyway, this learned me to use Wget. nice tool.

i will of course copy code, snippets, bu not graphics.