Link Within a Page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mjones, Jul 17, 2011.

  1. mjones

    mjones Guest

    Hi All,

    I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
    FireFox update caused the problem.

    Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

    <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

    Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Michele
    mjones, Jul 17, 2011

  2. On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700, mjones wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    > in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic FireFox
    > update caused the problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?
    >
    > <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    > <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>
    >
    > Here is the web page it is used on ....
    > http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    Your main web page is fine, but your iframe contents don't validate at
    w3c. I suggest you fix that.

    You're linking to a document inside an iframe, a quick google suggests
    that you may need to specify the document url as well as the link name.

    eg if you load jim.htm into an iframe, then named links to jim.htm may
    need to be href="jim.htm#link_name".

    This may even apply to links within the same iframe. I don't know, I
    don't use iframes.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jul 17, 2011

  3. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Jul 17, 12:21 pm, Denis McMahon <>
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700, mjones wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    > > in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0.  I can imaging that an automatic FireFox
    > > update caused the problem.

    > > Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

    > > <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    > > <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

    > > Here is the web page it is used on ....
    > >http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    > Your main web page is fine, but your iframe contents don't validate at
    > w3c. I suggest you fix that.
    >
    > You're linking to a document inside an iframe, a quick google suggests
    > that you may need to specify the document url as well as the link name.
    >
    > eg if you load jim.htm into an iframe, then named links to jim.htm may
    > need to be href="jim.htm#link_name".
    >
    > This may even apply to links within the same iframe. I don't know, I
    > don't use iframes.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon

    Hi Denis,

    I tried putting the webpage before the link name, e.g. <a
    href="comparison.asp#pmbok">, and although it continues to work in IE,
    no luck in FireFox.

    Never the less, I thank you for your suggestion. Any other ideas
    would certainly be appreciated.

    All the best,

    Michele
    mjones, Jul 17, 2011
  4. 17.07.2011 19:40, mjones wrote:

    > I tried putting the webpage before the link name, e.g.<a
    > href="comparison.asp#pmbok">, and although it continues to work in IE,
    > no luck in FireFox.

    You didn't validate the code inside the iframe (yet you show the
    worse-than-useless validity icon).

    But although the markup errors should be fixed, it is highly unlikely
    that they are the cause of the problem. The problem appears on Firefox
    4, too, by the way. And it only occurs when the iframing page is used -
    on the iframed page http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
    the links work.

    If I disable JavaScript on your page
    http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/comparison.asp
    then there's nothing to be seen - the entire content is missing. Does
    this ring a bell?

    The problem seems to be in the JavaScript code, which is rather messy.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 17, 2011
  5. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Jul 17, 1:52 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > 17.07.2011 19:40, mjones wrote:
    > > I tried putting the webpage before the link name, e.g.<a
    > > href="comparison.asp#pmbok">, and although it continues to work in IE,
    > > no luck in FireFox.

    > You didn't validate the code inside the iframe (yet you show the
    > worse-than-useless validity icon).
    >
    > But although the markup errors should be fixed, it is highly unlikely
    > that they are the cause of the problem. The problem appears on Firefox
    > 4, too, by the way. And it only occurs when the iframing page is used -
    > on the iframed pagehttp://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
    > the links work.
    >
    > If I disable JavaScript on your pagehttp://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/comparison.asp
    > then there's nothing to be seen - the entire content is missing. Does
    > this ring a bell?
    >
    > The problem seems to be in the JavaScript code, which is rather messy.
    >
    > --
    > Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Hi Yucca,

    Oh dear, then I'm in a mess. I can do the html coding, but the person
    who did the JavaScript code is long gone and I don't know JavaScript.
    Interesting, you say the JavaScript is messy and I thought he was
    quite a good programmer. Hum.

    I guess I'll have to remove the dead links and do without. It's
    interesting that they work outside of the iframe.

    Thank you very much for your help,

    Michele

    P.S. - The website iframe code has been there for five years. It did
    work well at one time, but with changes to browser versions, I imagine
    it is out of date.
    mjones, Jul 17, 2011
  6. mjones

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700 (PDT), mjones wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    > in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
    > FireFox update caused the problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?
    >
    > <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    > <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>
    >
    > Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.
    >
    > Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michele

    It is an improper use of an iframe.
    An iframe is used to include an external page.

    Change your <iframe> tag to a <td> tag and you should be fine.
    richard, Jul 17, 2011
  7. mjones

    MG Guest

    > Here is the web page it is used on ....
    > http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    Have you seen what happens when the text size on this page is increased?

    Set the text size to a very large size. Scroll up and down. Then select item
    16. Scroll up and down again. Then set text size back to normal.

    MG
    MG, Jul 17, 2011
  8. mjones

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:03:57 +0200, MG wrote:

    >> Here is the web page it is used on ....
    >> http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.
    >>

    > Have you seen what happens when the text size on this page is increased?
    >
    > Set the text size to a very large size. Scroll up and down. Then select item
    > 16. Scroll up and down again. Then set text size back to normal.
    >
    > MG

    It is not my responsibility to code to make the page look proper under all
    possible conditions, specially when the user is deliberately trying to
    abuse it.

    I'm sure as hell not gonna code for the thousands of possible screen sizes,
    font sizes, or what have you.
    I'm not gonna code for the dozens of various browsers either.
    richard, Jul 17, 2011
  9. mjones

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <08e4e5bb-f8df-40bd-85d9-
    >, michele@quality-
    computing.com says...

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    > in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0. I can imaging that an automatic
    > FireFox update caused the problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?
    >
    > <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    > <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>
    >
    > Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.
    >
    > Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Michele

    This one is working ok:
    http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
    NOT your page http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.
    Ray_Net, Jul 17, 2011
  10. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Jul 17, 5:44 pm, Ray_Net <> wrote:
    > In article <08e4e5bb-f8df-40bd-85d9-
    > >, michele@quality-
    > computing.com says...
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I've been using this method for years, but noticed today that it works
    > > in IE, but not in FireFox 5.0.  I can imaging that an automatic
    > > FireFox update caused the problem.

    > > Does anyone know how to make it work in FireFox?

    > > <A HREF="#jump">Link</A>
    > > <A NAME="jump">This is the Text you want to jump to</A>

    > > Here is the web page it is used on ....http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    > > Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Michele

    > This one is working ok:
    >  http://www.quality-computing.com/pmp/comparison.asp
    > NOT your pagehttp://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll try the suggestions, but
    will need to be careful that it doesn't affect something else by
    testing many pages and entries to the pages from different ways.

    Cheers!

    Michele

    P.S. - I cannot ensure all browser types and font sizes either.
    Budget just doesn't allow. If quality is important enough to provide
    the budget to check the many user situations, I can understand doing
    it.
    mjones, Jul 17, 2011
  11. richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700 (PDT), mjones wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.

    <snip>

    > It is an improper use of an iframe.
    > An iframe is used to include an external page.
    >
    > Change your<iframe> tag to a<td> tag and you should be fine.

    The "properness" of using an iframe can be debatable, but your
    suggestion is flatly incorrect.

    To OP since your iframe source anchors do work when not framed, the
    problem is most likely in the obsolete, arcane, and mostly likely
    unnecessary JavaScript in the framing page.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2011
  12. On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:00:13 -0700, mjones wrote:

    > I guess I'll have to remove the dead links and do without. It's
    > interesting that they work outside of the iframe.

    I vaguely remember an older version of this problem where, I think, if I
    recall correctly, some browsers were treating the iframe in the main page
    as the jump destination for any link that went into the contained page.

    I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be better to
    include the sub page content at the html level rather than display them
    in an iframe.

    However, I know so little about asp that I'm not the one to give advice
    on fixing it.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jul 18, 2011
  13. mjones

    Neil Gould Guest

    Denis McMahon wrote:

    > I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be
    > better to include the sub page content at the html level rather than
    > display them in an iframe.

    I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is server-side
    and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error in the code, I
    don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp without seeing the
    source code.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Jul 18, 2011
  14. Neil Gould wrote:
    > Denis McMahon wrote:
    >>
    >> I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be
    >> better to include the sub page content at the html level rather than
    >> display them in an iframe.
    >>

    > I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is server-side
    > and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error in the code, I
    > don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp without seeing the
    > source code.

    I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this case,
    why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the include directly
    with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without seeing the code and
    regardless of the server-side used.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 18, 2011
  15. mjones

    Neil Gould Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Neil Gould wrote:
    >> Denis McMahon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be
    >>> better to include the sub page content at the html level rather than
    >>> display them in an iframe.
    >>>

    >> I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
    >> server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some
    >> error in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality
    >> of the asp without seeing the source code.
    >>

    > I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this
    > case, why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the include
    > directly with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without seeing the
    > code and regardless of the server-side used.

    I think that would depend on the content of the include. If the content is
    dynamic (think video), presenting it as static HTML would be rather
    pointless.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Jul 18, 2011
  16. mjones

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:14:09 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:25:21 -0700 (PDT), mjones wrote:
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Here is the web page it is used on .... http://www.quality-computing.com?url=/pmp/comparison.asp.
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >
    >> It is an improper use of an iframe.
    >> An iframe is used to include an external page.
    >>
    >> Change your<iframe> tag to a<td> tag and you should be fine.

    > The "properness" of using an iframe can be debatable, but your
    > suggestion is flatly incorrect.
    >
    > To OP since your iframe source anchors do work when not framed, the
    > problem is most likely in the obsolete, arcane, and mostly likely
    > unnecessary JavaScript in the framing page.

    An "inline frame" serves the purpose of being able to include an external
    page when standard frames are not needed.
    It's use is certainly not meant to be a seperator like <td> <div> or even
    In this case, there certainly is no need for an "iframe" at all.

    I think most of his problems arise from the fact that he is using ASP where
    there is no asp at all. He should just simply change it to html.
    richard, Jul 18, 2011
  17. Neil Gould wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Neil Gould wrote:

    >>> I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
    >>> server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some
    >>> error in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality
    >>> of the asp without seeing the source code.
    >>>

    >> I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this
    >> case, why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the include
    >> directly with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without seeing the
    >> code and regardless of the server-side used.
    >>

    > I think that would depend on the content of the include. If the content is
    > dynamic (think video), presenting it as static HTML would be rather
    > pointless.

    No it is not. If you are already using server-side scripting, document
    assembly is far more stable and easier to manage and it transparent to
    the browser so you do not have to rely on browser support and JavaScript
    that that can be out of the designer's control...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 18, 2011
  18. mjones

    Neil Gould Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Neil Gould wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> I think what he meant was since was using server-side, ASP in this
    >>> case, why is he relying on IFRAME when he could simply do the
    >>> include directly with ASP? That is a legitimate criticism without
    >>> seeing the code and regardless of the server-side used.
    >>>

    >> I think that would depend on the content of the include. If the
    >> content is dynamic (think video), presenting it as static HTML would
    >> be rather pointless.
    >>

    > No it is not. If you are already using server-side scripting, document
    > assembly is far more stable and easier to manage and it transparent to
    > the browser so you do not have to rely on browser support and
    > JavaScript that that can be out of the designer's control...

    Your reply does not address the issue of dynamic content in an iFrame,
    unless you truly believe that it presenting dynamic content as static is a
    good idea. But, to your comment, one still has to "rely on browser support",
    because in this case the output of the server-side code is HTML to be
    rendered by a browser.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Jul 18, 2011
  19. On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:22:57 -0400, Neil Gould wrote:

    > Denis McMahon wrote:
    >>
    >> I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be better
    >> to include the sub page content at the html level rather than display
    >> them in an iframe.
    >>

    > I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
    > server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error
    > in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the asp
    > without seeing the source code.

    I'm talking about the methodology of including the body content in an
    iframe that's specified in javascript that's presumably generated by asp

    I can see from the client side and the main page source that a get
    request with the subpage as a parameter generates a page that contains
    javascript to set the iframe content to the subpage.

    This seems a very convoluted way of doing it. It would be better for the
    asp to just load the body content in the page.

    If the body content is also required as a separately loadable page, then
    make a separate page that pulls in the same body content.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jul 18, 2011
  20. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Gould"
    <> writing in news:j018p5$aj1$:

    > Denis McMahon wrote:
    >>
    >> I think your basic asp method and setup is screwy - it would be
    >> better to include the sub page content at the html level rather than
    >> display them in an iframe.
    >>

    > I didn't see any asp code on the page in question. Since asp is
    > server-side and doesn't display to browsers unless there is some error
    > in the code, I don't know how one could evaluate the quality of the
    > asp without seeing the source code.

    I think what Denis what talking about is the use of iframes instead of
    includes, which is, IMHO, screwy.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services