    I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.

    TIA

    nn
    nn, Jun 20, 2005

  2. nn

    Els Guest

    nn wrote:

    > I am working on a website for the B&B of friends of mine.
    > First I work on the Dutch part of the site, then I simply copy and paste the
    > HTML to the English part of the site.
    > The Dutch page about the room (de kamer) will open in the bottom frame,
    > but the English page of the room keeps opening in the top frame.
    > I don't understand...am I missing a code or something???
    >
    > If someone would be so kind to check ...
    > http://www.geocities.com/nollylusink/benb-vanwijngaarden/index.html
    >
    > I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.

    I'm sorry, but I can't believe you don't see that yourself.
    Compare the two top.html files. The one in the /nl/ and the one in the
    /uk/ directory.
    Compare the two links that go to respectively kamer.html and
    room.html. Spot the difference?

    While you're comparing: spot the absence of a doctype and a <html> tag
    at the start of the uk/top.html document. There's also a linebreak in
    the middle of the mailto link in those two documents, and server
    generated script after the closing tag of the html element.

    Wild guess: you didn't write the code yourself, or you are using some
    kind of WYSIWYG program?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 20, 2005

  3. nn

    jake Guest

    In message <42b73aa5$0$82419$>, nn <>
    writes
    >I am working on a website for the B&B of friends of mine.
    >First I work on the Dutch part of the site, then I simply copy and paste the
    >HTML to the English part of the site.
    >The Dutch page about the room (de kamer) will open in the bottom frame,
    >but the English page of the room keeps opening in the top frame.
    >I don't understand...am I missing a code or something???
    >
    >If someone would be so kind to check ...
    >http://www.geocities.com/nollylusink/benb-vanwijngaarden/index.html
    >
    >I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >nn

    Check the 'BASE TARGET="xxx" value on the page(s) with the link.

    For the Dutch it's set for the bottom frame ('text'); for the English,
    it's set for the top frame ('onderwerpen').

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    ( .... just a spam trap.)
    jake, Jun 20, 2005
  4. nn

    nn Guest

    > I'm sorry, but I can't believe you don't see that yourself.

    I have been working all evening at pictures, backgrounds html etcetc etc so
    guess I am tired because no..I do not see it.
    Perhaps tomorrow.
    This is my 3rd website using frames and 1sttime one page is not opening in
    the right frame.

    > Compare the two top.html files. The one in the /nl/ and the one in the
    > /uk/ directory.
    > Compare the two links that go to respectively kamer.html and
    > room.html. Spot the difference?
    >
    > While you're comparing: spot the absence of a doctype and a <html> tag
    > at the start of the uk/top.html document. There's also a linebreak in
    > the middle of the mailto link in those two documents, and server
    > generated script after the closing tag of the html element.

    I am still experimenting with this site before it is moved to their domain.

    > Wild guess: you didn't write the code yourself, or you are using some
    > kind of WYSIWYG program?

    Sorry you're wrong, I have written every code myself. Don't like the mess
    those programs create.
    I only use frontpage to see what a layout would look like. Then I start
    writing the html myself.
    Also wrote the pages for
    http://www.geocities.com/wellesley/veranda/9764/nolly/ and www.kdm1878.nl
    myself, using frames.

    It's a bit late now and I'm too tired but thanks for the advice. I will
    check things tomorrow.

    nn
    nn, Jun 20, 2005
  5. nn

    nn Guest

    > Check the 'BASE TARGET="xxx" value on the page(s) with the link.
    >
    > For the Dutch it's set for the bottom frame ('text'); for the English,
    > it's set for the top frame ('onderwerpen').
    >>

    > regards.
    > --
    > Jake
    > ( .... just a spam trap.)

    Ah thanks a million Jake
    after all those words and codes and pictures I just didn't see it
    anymore.....
    I was looking in the wrong place.
    Changed it and it works fine now.
    Saves me a sleepless night ;-)

    still I will also check Els' idea.

    thanks again

    nn
    nn, Jun 20, 2005
  6. nn

    nn Guest

    couldn't sleep so....

    > Compare the two top.html files. The one in the /nl/ and the one in the
    > /uk/ directory.
    > Compare the two links that go to respectively kamer.html and
    > room.html. Spot the difference?

    I guess you meant what Jake also pointed out?
    Indeed that was the problem.

    > While you're comparing: spot the absence of a doctype and a <html> tag
    > at the start of the uk/top.html document.

    Haven't added metatags yet either. Have been working on the layout so that
    my friends could get an idea before they go on holidays.

    > There's also a linebreak in
    > the middle of the mailto link in those two documents,

    Had not spotted that, thanks will change it tomorrow.

    > and server
    > generated script after the closing tag of the html element.

    That script is added by geocities and sometimes messes things up a bit.
    But this side won't be with them, their domainname is still underway. But
    this way I could make a start.

    Thanks for going over the codes for me

    nn
    nn, Jun 21, 2005
  7. nn

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, nn <> said:

    > This is my 3rd website using frames

    And you haven't given up on them yet? Yikes! Even Netscape, who invented
    frames, gave up on them after only 6 months.

    Some light reading:

    Problems with frames:
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

    Search Engines and Frames:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your pages use
    frames")
    http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167901

    Using Frames Properly:
    http://www.markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 21, 2005
  8. In article <42b73aa5$0$82419$>, nn()
    dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    > I am working on a website for the B&B of friends of mine.
    > First I work on the Dutch part of the site, then I simply copy and paste the
    > HTML to the English part of the site.
    > The Dutch page about the room (de kamer) will open in the bottom frame,
    > but the English page of the room keeps opening in the top frame.
    > I don't understand...am I missing a code or something???
    >
    > If someone would be so kind to check ...
    > http://www.geocities.com/nollylusink/benb-vanwijngaarden/index.html
    >
    > I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.

    Well first off, you're not using frames.

    Start with that.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days, bribery and corruption
    are common, children no longer obey their parents and the end of the
    world is evidently approaching."
    --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.
    Starshine Moonbeam, Jun 21, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <42b73aa5$0$82419$>, nn()
    > dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    > > I am working on a website for the B&B of friends of mine.
    > > First I work on the Dutch part of the site, then I simply copy and paste the
    > > HTML to the English part of the site.
    > > The Dutch page about the room (de kamer) will open in the bottom frame,
    > > but the English page of the room keeps opening in the top frame.
    > > I don't understand...am I missing a code or something???
    > >
    > > If someone would be so kind to check ...
    > > http://www.geocities.com/nollylusink/benb-vanwijngaarden/index.html
    > >
    > > I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.

    > Well first off, you're not using frames.

    How did you draw that conclusion? A quick visit to the site suggests
    otherwise.

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/
    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 21, 2005
  10. In article <>, Hywel
    Jenkins () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <42b73aa5$0$82419$>, nn()
    > > dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    > > > I am working on a website for the B&B of friends of mine.
    > > > First I work on the Dutch part of the site, then I simply copy and paste the
    > > > HTML to the English part of the site.
    > > > The Dutch page about the room (de kamer) will open in the bottom frame,
    > > > but the English page of the room keeps opening in the top frame.
    > > > I don't understand...am I missing a code or something???
    > > >
    > > > If someone would be so kind to check ...
    > > > http://www.geocities.com/nollylusink/benb-vanwijngaarden/index.html
    > > >
    > > > I'd love to hear where it is going wrong.

    > > Well first off, you're not using frames.

    > How did you draw that conclusion? A quick visit to the site suggests
    > otherwise.

    Must have looked at the UK source wrong earlier. My bad.

    Starshine Moonbeam, Jun 21, 2005
  11. nn

    Els Guest

    nn wrote:

    > couldn't sleep so....
    >
    >> Compare the two top.html files. The one in the /nl/ and the one in the
    >> /uk/ directory.
    >> Compare the two links that go to respectively kamer.html and
    >> room.html. Spot the difference?

    > I guess you meant what Jake also pointed out?
    > Indeed that was the problem.

    Well, no. I hadn't even seen the base target line (I never use it).
    I can see that it was the problem, but even without the base target
    line, the Dutch page would have worked properly, but not the English
    one. In the link itself, you have target="TEXT" on the Dutch page,
    while on the English page you didn't set a target (in the link). Of
    course, if you use the base target line, there is no need for the
    target attribute in the link itself.

    >> While you're comparing: spot the absence of a doctype and a <html> tag
    >> at the start of the uk/top.html document.

    > Haven't added metatags yet either.

    That goes for both pages. I'm saying that you forgot the doctype and
    you said you copy paste everything, well, it's a copy paste error then
    :)

    > Have been working on the layout so that
    > my friends could get an idea before they go on holidays.

    The layout will work differently between pages with and without a
    valid doctype. Okay, true, the doctype you used on the Dutch page is
    only half a doctype really (it's missing the DTD), but for
    consistency, I'd say use the same doctype across all pages.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 21, 2005