Link xampp mysql to Ruby's

Chris Gunnels

I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

Hassan Schroeder

I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
was initially installed.

Chris Gunnels

Hassan said:
I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
was initially installed.

how would you go about doing that.

Hassan Schroeder

how would you go about doing that.

How are you intending to use MySQL? From a stand-along Ruby
program, from Rails, ___________?

Regardless, you need to know the MySQL username and password,
socket or port # to connect to, etc. -- those are the same whether you
connect from Ruby, Java, PHP, whatever.

Zac Brown

Chris said:
how would you go about doing that.

You would create some settings file and ask the Ruby mysql handler to use those
settings... Its just a matter of using the same settings. As long as the server
address, username, pass, and so on match you should be able to access it from
any language you want.

-Zac