  1. I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
    that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
    don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

    Chris Gunnels, Feb 1, 2009

  2. On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Chris Gunnels <> wrote:
    > I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
    > that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
    > don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

    I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
    access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
    was initially installed.

    --
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------

    Hassan Schroeder, Feb 1, 2009

  3. Hassan Schroeder wrote:

    > I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
    > access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
    > was initially installed.

    how would you go about doing that.

    Chris Gunnels, Feb 1, 2009
  4. On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Chris Gunnels <> wrote:

    > how would you go about doing that.

    How are you intending to use MySQL? From a stand-along Ruby
    program, from Rails, ___________?

    Regardless, you need to know the MySQL username and password,
    socket or port # to connect to, etc. -- those are the same whether you
    connect from Ruby, Java, PHP, whatever.

    --
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------

    Hassan Schroeder, Feb 1, 2009
  5. Chris Gunnels

    Zac Brown Guest

    Chris Gunnels wrote:
    > Hassan Schroeder wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
    >> access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
    >> was initially installed.

    > how would you go about doing that.

    You would create some settings file and ask the Ruby mysql handler to use those
    settings... Its just a matter of using the same settings. As long as the server
    address, username, pass, and so on match you should be able to access it from
    any language you want.

    -Zac

    Zac Brown, Feb 1, 2009