linking errors with debug build of Python2.4.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Martin Wiechert, May 24, 2006.

  1. Hi list,

    I've created a fresh build of Python 2.4.3 using the following configuration

    $ ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug --enable-shared
    --with-fpectl --with-signal-module

    in particular I used --with-pydebug.

    Now when I start the interpreter some dynamically loaded modules do not see
    debug-related symbols:

    $ /usr/local/debug/bin/python
    Python 2.4.3 (#1, May 12 2006, 05:35:54)
    [GCC 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)] on linux2
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/etc/pythonstart", line 7, in ?
    import readline
    ImportError: /usr/local/debug/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/readline.so: undefined
    symbol: _Py_RefTotal
    >>>


    I've attached a shell session with the outputs of ldd and nm on readline.so

    What did I do wrong?
    My System is SuSE Linux 10.1 on Intel.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Martin.
     
    Martin Wiechert, May 24, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Martin Wiechert

    Guest

    Martin Wiechert wrote:
    > Hi list,
    >
    > I've created a fresh build of Python 2.4.3 using the following configuration
    >
    > $ ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug --enable-shared
    > --with-fpectl --with-signal-module
    >
    > What did I do wrong?


    Try with just: ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug

    I think the problem is --enable-shared. I'm not sure what you are
    doing, but you probably don't need the other options. The signal
    module should always be built, I've never even seen the
    --with-signal-module option. :)

    n
     
    , May 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. You were right, leaving out --with-pydebug did the trick.

    Thanks, Martin


    On Sunday 28 May 2006 03:53, wrote:
    > Martin Wiechert wrote:
    > > Hi list,
    > >
    > > I've created a fresh build of Python 2.4.3 using the following
    > > configuration
    > >
    > > $ ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug --enable-shared
    > > --with-fpectl --with-signal-module
    > >
    > > What did I do wrong?

    >
    > Try with just: ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug
    >
    > I think the problem is --enable-shared. I'm not sure what you are
    > doing, but you probably don't need the other options. The signal
    > module should always be built, I've never even seen the
    > --with-signal-module option. :)
    >
    > n
     
    Martin Wiechert, Jun 4, 2006
    #3
  4. Nonsense! I meant leaving out --enable-shared.

    On Sunday 04 June 2006 16:17, Martin Wiechert wrote:
    > You were right, leaving out --with-pydebug did the trick.
    >
    > Thanks, Martin
    >
    > On Sunday 28 May 2006 03:53, wrote:
    > > Martin Wiechert wrote:
    > > > Hi list,
    > > >
    > > > I've created a fresh build of Python 2.4.3 using the following
    > > > configuration
    > > >
    > > > $ ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug --enable-shared
    > > > --with-fpectl --with-signal-module
    > > >
    > > > What did I do wrong?

    > >
    > > Try with just: ./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=/usr/local/debug
    > >
    > > I think the problem is --enable-shared. I'm not sure what you are
    > > doing, but you probably don't need the other options. The signal
    > > module should always be built, I've never even seen the
    > > --with-signal-module option. :)
    > >
    > > n
     
    Martin Wiechert, Jun 5, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Xavier
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    421
    Xavier
    Aug 6, 2003
  2. Skip Montanaro
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    436
    Thomas Heller
    Aug 7, 2003
  3. snacktime
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    567
    Dan Sommers
    Feb 22, 2005
  4. Uwe Mayer

    changing from python2.3 to python2.4

    Uwe Mayer, Apr 8, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    306
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=
    Apr 9, 2005
  5. Lance Wynn
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,851
    Lance Wynn
    Feb 3, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page