Linking in a Linux environment

Roux Claude

Bonjour,

We have implemented Python as an "embedded script language" in our NLP
application, XIP which a grammar rule engine written in C++ and available as
a library.

We have also developped a GUI in Java, which is linked to this XIP library,
to simplify the development of NL grammars.

JAVA GUI IDE
Library:
XIP (C++)
Python Modules can be called from grammar rules

Now we have the following problem, when we try to execute a Python script
from a grammar in a Linux environment, the system fails when this Python
module tries to import basic modules like "math" for instance. The system
returns a "PyExc_OverflowException undefined variable" error.

This problem only occurs on Linux platforms, we do not have any problems on
Mac OS and on Windows.

We have linked our NLP library with Python 2.4.4, and we have tried many
different manipulations to solve this problem. We have tried to link with
the static and the dynamic Python library, without any success.

Searching the WEB, we have discovered similar problems, but none of the
proposed solutions actually worked. For instance, some people wrote that the
problem was to due to the compiling options of our Python library; we
checked the Makefile for these options, which we found to be already there.
We also tried to modify the dlopen options, as suggested, through the
specific dlopen operations in the Python corresponding library. NOP...

However, the use the Python 2.5 dynamic library seems to solve most of these
problems, which would be ok, if people would accept to switch to a version
that is quite new. Halas, this is not that simple...

I still do not have any clear answer about what is going on. If someone
could help me on this one, I'll be really grateful... :)

Merci d'avance,

Claude