linking movies and autostart

Discussion in 'HTML' started by yk, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. yk

    yk Guest

    I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask...

    Is it possible to turn off autostart when linking a movie via url?

    I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    1) I don't know what application people will be using (quicktime,windows
    media, real...)
    2) I don't want to embed all these files, as that would be several MB.
    Although I might be able to set up a javascript to embed dynamically, so
    the movie doesn't download unless the user wants it.

    The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after downloading
    they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the user to wait
    until they download before playing.

    Perhaps I'm missing something though.
    --

    If you wish to reply directly: yelohk AT yahoo use DOT com
    yk, Nov 10, 2003

  2. yk wrote:

    > I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    > 1) I don't know what application people will be using
    > (quicktime,windows media, real...) 2) I don't want to embed all these
    > files, as that would be several MB. Although I might be able to set
    > up a javascript to embed dynamically, so the movie doesn't download
    > unless the user wants it.
    >
    > The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    > until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after
    > downloading they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the
    > user to wait until they download before playing.

    If someone's configured their player to start playing while still
    downloading, who are you to tell them they're wrong? I would expect
    them to be familiar with the choppy consequences. Because you, by
    design, cannot know what viewer the client is using to view your media,
    anything you might try to do to 'enforce' download-before-play will at
    best work some of the time.

    If it's really a problem you might want to advise users in the page
    text that the movies are fairly large and that they may want to wait
    until they've fully downloaded before starting to play them, and let
    them decide whether to take you seriously or not.
    Owen Jacobson, Nov 10, 2003

  3. yk

    yk Guest

    Owen Jacobson wrote:
    > yk wrote:
    >

    >>I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    >>1) I don't know what application people will be using
    >>(quicktime,windows media, real...) 2) I don't want to embed all these
    >>files, as that would be several MB. Although I might be able to set
    >>up a javascript to embed dynamically, so the movie doesn't download
    >>unless the user wants it.
    >>
    >>The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    >>until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after
    >>downloading they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the
    >>user to wait until they download before playing.

    > If someone's configured their player to start playing while still
    > downloading, who are you to tell them they're wrong? I would expect
    > them to be familiar with the choppy consequences. Because you, by
    > design, cannot know what viewer the client is using to view your media,
    > anything you might try to do to 'enforce' download-before-play will at
    > best work some of the time.
    >
    > If it's really a problem you might want to advise users in the page
    > text that the movies are fairly large and that they may want to wait
    > until they've fully downloaded before starting to play them, and let
    > them decide whether to take you seriously or not.

    No need to get all huffy, I'm no Bill Gates here :). It's actually for
    my family's site, part of a family photo album I've created for
    everyone, as we live all over the states, and not everyone gets to visit
    each other as much as they'd like. So I'm pretty familiar with the
    users. :) The older generations aren't too computer saavy, which is why
    I'm trying to control everything I can. I'm not too sure they will
    follow instructions well, being either impatient or unfamiliar with the
    software. I was just trying to cover all bases and see if I could make
    this as easy as possible for them. I know the younger generations will
    at least enjoy the movie clips.

    They do span oses and I think there might be a mac or two, which is why
    I'd prefer to not embed. I guess it's possible to have javascript detect
    whether they have quicktime or windows media, and if they don't just
    provide a link to the movie to open it in whatever player they have. And
    I can embed the file on demand, so they're not downloading all the
    movies at once. But still if they press play before it finishes
    downloading it might not work... I don't know if there's a way around
    that. Not to mention I am not even sure I can get it to play
    automatically only after the movie downloads. Embedding just looks nicer
    and doesn't take you away from the browser window.

    I don't remember what format or codec I used, I recall vaguely that they
    could be saved for broadband or 56k. I don't know what the difference
    is, is the movie just smaller, or does it stream more smoothly for
    slower speeds? Is this part of the codec or compression? Does it matter
    which codec you use?

    --

    direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo
    yk, Nov 10, 2003
  4. yk

    George Self Guest

    yk wrote:

    > I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask...
    >
    > Is it possible to turn off autostart when linking a movie via url?
    >
    > I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    > 1) I don't know what application people will be using (quicktime,windows
    > media, real...)
    > 2) I don't want to embed all these files, as that would be several MB.
    > Although I might be able to set up a javascript to embed dynamically, so
    > the movie doesn't download unless the user wants it.
    >
    > The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    > until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after downloading
    > they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the user to wait
    > until they download before playing.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm missing something though.

    Can't you just use a simple concept like this:

    I would think you could put a still photo of some sort in the document (a
    "thumbnail" of the movie), with a number of links under that photo so your
    family could click on the appropriate link to download and play the movie.

    --George
    George Self, Nov 11, 2003
  5. yk

    yk Guest

    George Self wrote:
    > yk wrote:
    >

    >>I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask...
    >>
    >>Is it possible to turn off autostart when linking a movie via url?
    >>
    >>I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    >>1) I don't know what application people will be using (quicktime,windows
    >>media, real...)
    >>2) I don't want to embed all these files, as that would be several MB.
    >>Although I might be able to set up a javascript to embed dynamically, so
    >>the movie doesn't download unless the user wants it.
    >>
    >>The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    >>until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after downloading
    >>they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the user to wait
    >>until they download before playing.
    >>
    >>Perhaps I'm missing something though.

    > Can't you just use a simple concept like this:

    > I would think you could put a still photo of some sort in the document (a
    > "thumbnail" of the movie), with a number of links under that photo so your
    > family could click on the appropriate link to download and play the movie.
    >
    > --George

    Would changing the files to those formats fix the stuttering streaming
    problem?

    --

    direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo
    yk, Nov 11, 2003
  6. yk

    George Self Guest

    yk wrote:

    > George Self wrote:
    >> yk wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask...
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to turn off autostart when linking a movie via url?
    >>>
    >>>I have several movie clips on one page. My concerns are:
    >>>1) I don't know what application people will be using (quicktime,windows
    >>>media, real...)
    >>>2) I don't want to embed all these files, as that would be several MB.
    >>>Although I might be able to set up a javascript to embed dynamically, so
    >>>the movie doesn't download unless the user wants it.
    >>>
    >>>The main reason for this is my movies are choppy and unintelligible
    >>>until they finish downloading. If I wait and play them after downloading
    >>>they play as they should. I was thinking I can tell the user to wait
    >>>until they download before playing.
    >>>
    >>>Perhaps I'm missing something though.

    >> Can't you just use a simple concept like this:

    >> I would think you could put a still photo of some sort in the document (a
    >> "thumbnail" of the movie), with a number of links under that photo so
    >> your family could click on the appropriate link to download and play the
    >> movie.
    >>
    >> --George

    > Would changing the files to those formats fix the stuttering streaming
    > problem?

    Again, I'm certainly no expert on video files (I've found them too large to
    expect my visitors to wait for them to download). However, I believe that
    if you set up an "<a>" link to an ".AVI" or ".MOV" file then these files
    will not stream. They will completely download first, and then the visitor
    can view them. I think that IE and Netscape both will pop up the video
    viewer of choice, but that viewer will display some sort of "Downloading"
    message until the file is completely in the visitor's computer.

    Of course, someone with a lot more experience than me can correct these
    thoughts. Or, just try it out to see what it does.

    --George
    George Self, Nov 12, 2003
  7. yk

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <P6fsb.34765$L77.25820@fed1read03>, says...
    > Again, I'm certainly no expert on video files (I've found them too large to
    > expect my visitors to wait for them to download). However, I believe that
    > if you set up an "<a>" link to an ".AVI" or ".MOV" file then these files
    > will not stream.....

    Streaming means that you download it faster than you play it. Nothing
    more. There is nothing on the server that "pushes" the video to your
    clients.

    Both Media Player and Real will "Stream" by default. I believe Quick
    time needs a setting change (I don't use mov very often)

    Your best bet (no doubt this will be argued with) is to encode with Real
    and Microsoft Media. Using these 2, you have covered virtually every
    system out there. (Yes, someone may have to download a player, but These
    2 players seem to be pretty global in their use, and both offer free
    encoding and players)

    Look at what people use for streaming media. The MAJORITY use WMV and
    RM.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 12, 2003
  8. yk

    yk Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <P6fsb.34765$L77.25820@fed1read03>, says...
    >
    >>Again, I'm certainly no expert on video files (I've found them too large to
    >>expect my visitors to wait for them to download). However, I believe that
    >>if you set up an "<a>" link to an ".AVI" or ".MOV" file then these files
    >>will not stream.....

    > Streaming means that you download it faster than you play it. Nothing
    > more. There is nothing on the server that "pushes" the video to your
    > clients.
    >
    > Both Media Player and Real will "Stream" by default. I believe Quick
    > time needs a setting change (I don't use mov very often)
    >
    > Your best bet (no doubt this will be argued with) is to encode with Real
    > and Microsoft Media. Using these 2, you have covered virtually every
    > system out there. (Yes, someone may have to download a player, but These
    > 2 players seem to be pretty global in their use, and both offer free
    > encoding and players)
    >
    > Look at what people use for streaming media. The MAJORITY use WMV and
    > RM.

    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay in responding. I got tied up
    in another project (actual work, rather than "fun"). I don't really
    understand the encoding part yet, but will look into it.

    --

    direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo
    yk, Nov 19, 2003