    bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

    ....doesn't seem to work either.

    Am I missing something?

    jb, Jun 28, 2005

  2. jb wrote:
    > Given a file named äundöundü.txt on a server...
    >
    > None of the following loads the file in Firefox or IE:

    > Firefox loads the file if äundöundü.txt is typed directly into the URL
    > bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

    > ...doesn't seem to work either.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>

    Ooops.
    Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>, it must be
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >> Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>

    > Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>, it must be

    No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters - just
    save the document in a character encoding that supports the characters (lke
    UTF-8), and make sure the server includes that information in the HTTP
    response header.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 28, 2005
  5. jb

    jb Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > jb wrote:
    >
    >> Given a file named äundöundü.txt on a server...
    >>
    >> None of the following loads the file in Firefox or IE:

    >> Firefox loads the file if äundöundü.txt is typed directly into the URL
    >> bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

    >> ...doesn't seem to work either.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?

    > Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>

    That works. Many thank you's ;)

    jb, Jun 28, 2005
  6. David Dorward wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >>>Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>

    >>Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">äundöundü.txt</a>, it must be

    > No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters - just
    > save the document in a character encoding that supports the characters (lke
    > UTF-8), and make sure the server includes that information in the HTTP
    > response header.

    You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.
    Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >> No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters -
    >> just save the document in a character encoding that supports the
    >> characters (like UTF-8), and make sure the server includes that
    >> information in the HTTP response header.

    > You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.

    I mean what I said (except for the typo of "numeric"). For a start we're
    talking about an HTML document, not a plain text file, and you have to
    ensure that you editor uses a suitable character encoding.

    > Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.

    So long as the server tells the browser what character encoding was used.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 28, 2005
  8. David Dorward wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >

    >>>No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters -
    >>>just save the document in a character encoding that supports the
    >>>characters (like UTF-8), and make sure the server includes that
    >>>information in the HTTP response header.

    >>You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.

    > I mean what I said (except for the typo of "numeric"). For a start we're
    > talking about an HTML document, not a plain text file, and you have to
    > ensure that you editor uses a suitable character encoding.

    Sorry about that. I thought you was referring to the text file.
    Thanx for clearing that up.

    >>Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.

    > So long as the server tells the browser what character encoding was used.

    You're right.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 28, 2005
  9. jb

    jb Guest

    Curiously, this does not work in IE6, but does in Firefox.

    For IE6, it needs to be:

    jb, Jul 1, 2005
  10. jb

    jb Guest

    > Curiously, this does not work in IE6, but does in Firefox.
    >
    > For IE6, it needs to be:

    Actually, it was a charset problem. iso-8859-1 works for both; I was
    using utf-8.

    jb, Jul 1, 2005