Linking with static libraries for Python standard components such as OpenSSL

gerson.kurz

I am rebuilding Python 2.7.4 using Visual Studio 2010. As part of that, I wanted to build with a current OpenSSL version (1.0.1e) and an updated SQLite version.

What I noted: the projects in the main workspace (at least in PCBuild) directly include the source code of dependent libraries. Can somebody please explain the rationale behind that?

Wouldn't it be better to instead link with static libraries of these projects?

Exhibit A: _ssl.pyd requires a Perl interpreter to build. (Perl! Anathema!) Instead, _ssl.pyd could very well link with the Win32 binaries for OpenSSL?

Exhibit B: _bsddb.pyd includes a ton of files from Berkley DB, with their filenames. Alas, newer versions of Berkley DB have slightly changed filenames, so the project needs to be changed to adjust for a newer version of Berkley DB.

Terry Reedy

I am rebuilding Python 2.7.4 using Visual Studio 2010. As part of
that, I wanted to build with a current OpenSSL version (1.0.1e) and
an updated SQLite version.

What I noted: the projects in the main workspace (at least in
PCBuild) directly include the source code of dependent libraries. Can
somebody please explain the rationale behind that?

Wouldn't it be better to instead link with static libraries of these
projects?

Exhibit A: _ssl.pyd requires a Perl interpreter to build. (Perl!
Anathema!) Instead, _ssl.pyd could very well link with the Win32
binaries for OpenSSL?

If you can make that work, open an issue and submit a patch.
I have not gotten perl, so I am not building ssl.
Exhibit B: _bsddb.pyd includes a ton of files from Berkley DB, with
their filenames. Alas, newer versions of Berkley DB have slightly
changed filenames, so the project needs to be changed to adjust for a
newer version of Berkley DB.

The it would not work with older versions? This sort of constant hassle
is why bsddb is not part of 3.x.