Links/ampersands in HTML tags using XML/XSLT

Discussion in 'XML' started by SDM, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. SDM

    SDM Guest

    I need to create a stylesheet to allow the querystring in my attribute links
    to format as:
    <TD<A href='IQNet.asp?f=2&t=3'>Choice 1</A></TD>

    not

    <TD<A href='IQNet.asp?f=2&amp;t=3'>Choice 1</A></TD>

    I can't put an XSLT tag inside an HTML tag so <xsl:text
    disable-output-escaping="yes"> won't cut it.

    Everything I've read says that the &amp; should work fine in this manner.
    However I can't get my IIS applications using ASP to work properly.

    Using ASP,
    the request.querystring() function will return f=2&amp;t=3,
    the request.querystring("f") will return 2, and
    the request.querystring("t") will return nothing.

    Since the application works fine using a simple ampersand I have to assume
    that ASP just doesn't support what I wan't to do.

    Any thoughts (besides tossing IIS)?

    Thanks...

    Scott

    SDM, Sep 19, 2003

  2. * SDM wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >I need to create a stylesheet to allow the querystring in my attribute links
    >to format as:
    ><TD<A href='IQNet.asp?f=2&t=3'>Choice 1</A></TD>
    >
    >not
    >
    ><TD<A href='IQNet.asp?f=2&amp;t=3'>Choice 1</A></TD>

    No, you don't need to. Try the latter in your browser (that is, load a
    HTML document containing the code, do not put 'IQNet.asp?f=2&amp;t=3' in
    the address bar) and you will see it will work. If you don't escape the
    ampersand using your document is likely to break in some browsers, see
    <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/reasons.html>.

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, Sep 19, 2003

  3. SDM

    SDM Guest

    Thanks, that did the trick. I was being mislead by testing using the address
    bar. It does seem to work.

    Thanks again...

    Scott

    SDM, Sep 22, 2003