    the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
    in visual basic.

    Appreciate any help :)

    xxx, Sep 7, 2003

  2. xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
    > button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
    > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
    > myself.

    Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
    you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?

    > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
    > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
    > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
    > in visual basic.

    <a title="just a small help sentence" href="otherpage.html">My link</a>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 7, 2003

  3. "xxx" <> wrote in message news:3f5bad15$...
    > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
    > button of the screen (left hand corner).

    That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.

    > I dont want the link to appear
    > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
    > myself.

    Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user. Why
    would you want to do that?

    > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
    > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
    > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
    > in visual basic.

    Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then re-engineer
    it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?

    >Appreciate any help :)

    Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

    --
    Andrew Davidson

    Andrew Davidson, Sep 8, 2003
  4. xxx

    xxx Guest

    > > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
    > > button of the screen (left hand corner).

    > That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.
    >
    > > I dont want the link to appear
    > > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text

    there
    > > myself.

    > Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user.

    Why
    > would you want to do that?

    It was actually more out of curiosity that I was asking. Was thinking about
    placing the name of the site now there instead of the link but I guess I'll
    scratch that I idea.

    > > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link

    that
    > > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something

    about
    > > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or

    something
    > > in visual basic.

    > Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then

    re-engineer
    > it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?
    >
    > >Appreciate any help :)

    > Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

    Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
    user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
    be very un-informative.

    xxx, Sep 8, 2003
  5. xxx

    xxx Guest

    > xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
    > > button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
    > > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text

    there
    > > myself.

    > Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
    > you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?
    >
    > > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link

    that
    > > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something

    about
    > > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or

    something
    > > in visual basic.

    > <a title="just a small help sentence" href="otherpage.html">My link</a>

    Thanks :)

    xxx, Sep 8, 2003
  6. xxx

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    xxx wrote:
    > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at
    > the button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to
    > appear there, is there someway i can disable this or even better
    > place a text there myself.
    >
    > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a
    > link that a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might
    > say something about the link, just a small help sentence, think it's
    > call tooltip or something in visual basic.

    Before you ask: Do a search in Google.
    In this case look for: "html links" and "hide link address" First or second
    hit wil do.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 8, 2003
  7. xxx wrote:
    > It was actually more out of curiosity that I was asking. Was thinking
    > about placing the name of the site now there instead of the link but I
    > guess I'll scratch that I idea.

    That's what the <title> tag is for.

    >> Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

    > Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
    > user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
    > be very un-informative.

    I would hope that the content of the anchor element (<a>this bit here</a>)
    would be enough to give the user enough of a clue as to the destination.
    However, check out the title attribute as a means to give advisory
    information about an element.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Sep 8, 2003