Links and XLinks??

Discussion in 'XML' started by Sam, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hi ...

    Very new to HTML, not to mention XML and CSS and all the other
    acronyms.

    How can I put a link in an XML document?? I am trying to use CSS to make
    document look attractive, and succeeding somewhat. But I can't figure out
    links. I have book, XML Bible by Elliotte Rusty Harold. I think I read it
    carefully, and this should work:

    <WRITE xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    xlink:type="simple"
    xlink:href=mailto:>

    But it doesn't.

    Appreciate any help.

    Sam
    --
    Much as modern mass production requires the standardization of commodities,
    so the social process requires the standardization of people. This

    Sam, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Sam

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Hi ...
    >
    > Very new to HTML, not to mention XML and CSS and all the other
    > acronyms.
    >
    > How can I put a link in an XML document?? I am trying to use CSS to make
    > document look attractive, and succeeding somewhat. But I can't figure out
    > links. I have book, XML Bible by Elliotte Rusty Harold. I think I read it
    > carefully, and this should work:
    >
    > <WRITE xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    > xlink:type="simple"
    > xlink:href=mailto:>

    All attribute value require quotation marks in XML, so the last line
    should be:

    xlink:href="mailto:">

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Ed Beroset" <> wrote in message
    > Sam wrote:
    > > Hi ...
    > >
    > > Very new to HTML, not to mention XML and CSS and all the other
    > > acronyms.
    > >
    > > How can I put a link in an XML document?? I am trying to use CSS to make
    > > document look attractive, and succeeding somewhat. But I can't figure

    out
    > > links. I have book, XML Bible by Elliotte Rusty Harold. I think I read

    it
    > > carefully, and this should work:
    > >
    > > <WRITE xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    > > xlink:type="simple"
    > > xlink:href=mailto:>

    > All attribute value require quotation marks in XML, so the last line
    > should be:
    >
    > xlink:href="mailto:">

    Thanks, but it still doesn't work. Looks exactly like this:

    <Write xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    xlink:type="simple"
    xlink:href="mailto:">
    </Write>

    Sam, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Sam wrote:
    [XLink doesn't work]
    > Thanks, but it still doesn't work.

    What did you do to test if it works?
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

    Johannes Koch, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Johannes Koch" <> wrote in message
    > Sam wrote:
    > [XLink doesn't work]
    > > Thanks, but it still doesn't work.

    > What did you do to test if it works?
    > --

    Opened the page in IE6. Moved mouse across the text that says `Write.'
    Mouse cursor changed to ... I don't know what it's called. It looks like a
    capital `I'. (Different from the way cursor looks when it touches a link.)
    Clicked on text. Nothing happened.

    Sam, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Sam wrote:

    > "Johannes Koch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sam wrote:
    >>[XLink doesn't work]
    >>
    >>> Thanks, but it still doesn't work.

    >>What did you do to test if it works?
    >>--

    > Opened the page in IE6. Moved mouse across the text that says `Write.'
    > Mouse cursor changed to ... I don't know what it's called. It looks like a
    > capital `I'. (Different from the way cursor looks when it touches a link.)
    > Clicked on text. Nothing happened.

    IE doesn't support XLink. I think Opera does, and Mozilla may.

    Julian

    Julian Reschke, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    > IE doesn't support XLink. I think Opera does, and Mozilla may.

    Oh. Thanks.

    Sam, Jan 26, 2004